Uni Locks Away Patent for Rainy Day

lazyboy97o

Maybe. Not all efficiencies and advances are customer facing benefits. Before the card you had physical keys. How much money do you think they saved by not having to rekey guest room locks because the previous guest didn't turn in the key? How many claims of room theft were reduced because the key code is changed with each different guest?
MyMagic+ is supposed to be generating direct revenue, not just reducing other inefficiencies. That's part of its bigger problems. It is largely a behind the scenes upgrade that has been sold as something entirely different.

Jimmy Thick

Interesting.
Very.

All speculation, they discuss Uni's MM+ replacing front of the line for deluxe , or deluxe keeping front of the line and their value resort getting the MM+. I can't see a rolling out of something like this and not getting everyone involved, not with the revenue it would require to implement, so based on that theory, I see front of the line going away for this. Universal is going to want the data from the higher spenders more than value guests.

Jimmy Thick- And killing the Universal deluxe resorts in the process.

Queeniediva

So, I'm reading all of this stuff and I can't help but wonder...Do you think the MM+ and all the RFID is a plot to monitor my credit for subversive government activities? As soon as we wave them in front of the little light up mouse thingy to get in that anyone will be able to find us and pin point our location. I sent a strongly worded letter to the Disney folks in California and no response.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
When MM+ was announced I was VERY excited for the potential use of it. Then they broke FP, and spent those legendary billions trying to fix it. Uni can learn from the mistakes of others and make this actually kick butt.
Though, my money says they patent will never actually be utilized. I'm curious how many patented ideas are ever produced.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No, like I said it would be bad. If implemented at all, let alone on the same scale as elsewhere.

Like I also said it would also be softened by a colossal investment in attractions (rides and shows) which is definitely happening instead of stagnation and mediocre ad-hoc additions.

You must have missed that bit.

*edit* this reply was in response to another members posting that seems to have been moderated away, not in reply to any posts still remaining.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Universal have always followed Disney - so this should really come as no surprise. It was clear from the start that Disney introducing a digital based FP system would make the existing clones of FP at other parks look outdated. As others have said though, a significant bonus for Universal will be the rapidly expanding roster of attractions that they have opening to support the rollout.

Tonka's Skipper

Did anyone NOT expect other parks and resorts to introduce their own systems???

This is right around the corner for them, as soon as Disney works out their bugs and others can integrate their system with Disney's a working system.

AKK

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Q-Bot Flash Pass system used at Six Flags is primitive, but conceptually it's what I would like Fastpass+ to become (albeit complimentary). The idea of being able to pull up any attraction day of and getting a Fastpass is really the way for this to work better.

Is Uni Orlando still using it?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Having used MM+ twice now. I just don't see how it's a failure. I've had not one problem with the new system. As a matter of fact....I love it. I understand the disappointment in that it did cost a lot of money and some cut backs are happening. But to say it's a total failure is just not true. I loved using it as my hotel key, park ticket, and reservations for FP+ that now includes some shows and night time attractions. And I honestly do not cRe if Disney knows my every move in the park. I don't care if they can follow me. The new system will be upgraded and improved as time goes on and will become even better.

My issue is that Fastpass is now adversely affecting wait times. It is becoming like the ADRs. I would encourage those who tried the system to hold final judgement of the system until it's fully rolled out. We can't make judgements good or bad yet since only half of the people are on MM+. I can see the system working if they make a few changes and they likely wouldn't have to put money into the changes, just change policy.

ABQ

There's no way they would try this after seeing what a failure MM+ turned out to be.
I don't know that one can call MM+ a failure...yet. Certainly the implementation process has been a failure, if only due to the apparent massive cost overruns, including the fallout from that. By the implementation process I am including how and when items were rolled out to the public for either voluntary testing or involuntary when they were obviously not truly ready for such things. My own experience with the process was near flawless and the minor issues I encountered were easily dealt with. I myself cannot and will not call it a failure outside of the cost. As @marni1971 alluded, if Disney's or later Uni's version of a similar product was or will be rolled out along with other tangible attractions of equal value then Disney's would not be so terrible in the eyes of the public and if Uni keeps on the track they appear to be on, as long as they don't force their guests to test a less than ready product, it will be a success. Odds are, as they won't be pioneering in their product, it will go easier for Uni than it did for Disney. Still, I cannot call MM+ a failure yet. It's not entirely done, at least I don't think so. Money wise, it was/is too expensive, but so be it.

grimb168

Let the blasting begin. If Disney was not on the right path, do you think other would copy? I am using the band now and love it. Sure I would love more then 3 fast passes but we still are able to get on what we want. We are smart enough not to waste a pass on a people eater ride. This is coming from a person who was able to always have two sets of fast passes in their pockets at all times. After how many years people still do not understand the fast pass system. How long will it take for them to understand the fast pass +

pmaljr

The reason I feel that Uni is expanding their roster and doing upgrades now is because they have to, not because they think that MM+ is not going to work. Posts have been saying that the Uni execs are laughing at the WDW implementation, but secretly and in reality they were scared of it enough to have developed their own version of MM+, along with all of the aforementioned (in a lot of other threads) evil that goes along with it. For a vacationer like me that grew up a Disney fan, WDW really does have a world of attractions, Uni does not. It's as simple as that. I'm not going to give up my week at Disney to visit Potterland and Transformers for a week, that just isn't happening. It would take a lot more than that to make me want to stay and visit something other than WDW. Unless you live in Central Florida and are totally overexposed to both groups of parks, why would a couple of rides and upgrades replace my desire to stay at and visit WDW? Especially now with MM+ and the ability to basically guarantee a FP+ to Toy Story MM, for example? As they said in the Matrix in regards to a phone call, what good is a phone call if you are unable to speak? Uni is putting out these new attractions because they need them in every possible way. Why would they implement their own version of MM+ now if there's not enough meat to make a hamburger? Just an opinion ...

awilliams4

If you read the claims, its downright scary how they will be tracking every move guests make. It looks like some kind of "reader" will be involved, maybe oh a band?

Didn't some insider claim Universal was laughing at Disney for MM+ yet it appears Universal has been working on the exact same thing?

Jimmy Thick- Disney introduces the future and Universal will try to clone it, what else is new?

Looks like they weren't much of an insider....as I always suspected anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom