Uni Locks Away Patent for Rainy Day

Potus1976

Currently, in the ledger book, it could probably be considered a failure....except that the expenses are in the form of R&D, with future returns predictably making it a success. Again, depending on how you look at it and from which side.

Granted, the fact that Uni has patented a near identical system indicates that Disney's largest competitor does not see it as a failure.

This is because the system is still new and there has to be a sufficient amount of time for data to be secured and anylized. There is no way possible that a new system that is as massive as this is going to work the way you want it to until time has passed and you see where the bugs are. It seems to be that most people are not giving it a chance.
Even if it breaks even in the short term, it's a success. I'm sure it's the foundation for things to come long term.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Indeed. Failure and success cannot be determined in the short term.
I mean they are selling stuff to fancy up the band for goodness sakes. Then, you have ride photos emailed to you when you get home that you can purchase that you really may not have known were taken If they were to get reasonable on those prices people would buy those big time.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
This is because the system is still new and there has to be a sufficient amount of time for data to be secured and anylized. There is no way possible that a new system that is as massive as this is going to work the way you want it to until time has passed and you see where the bugs are. It seems to be that most people are not giving it a chance.

Currently, MM+ is primarily being judged based on emotion. Some guests are judging it based on poor technical experiences, and they may rightfully do so. But for those of us who haven't actually experienced it, we base our opinions primarily on our disapproval of certain aspects of the overall program. For me, it's FP+. For others, it's data mining and tracking paranoias. And for others, it's the loss of spontaneity.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Currently, MM+ is primarily being judged based on emotion. Some guests are judging it based on poor technical experiences, and they may rightfully do so. But for those of us who haven't actually experienced it, we base our opinions primarily on our disapproval of certain aspects of the overall program. For me, it's FP+. For others, it's data mining and tracking paranoias. And for others, it's the loss of spontaneity.

Worked pretty much flawlessly for us during our trip. :cautious:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I mean they are selling stuff to fancy up the band for goodness sakes. Then, you have ride photos emailed to you when you get home that you can purchase that you really may not have known were taken If they were to get reasonable on those prices people would buy those big time.

I failed economics, so I can't say whether Disney's pricing structure is correct or not. But I tend to agree. If they use technology to spam guests with things to buy, and they price them "reasonably", this could turn into a cash cow. But they prey on emotions and on the lingering high from the Disney vacation instead, and swoop in while guests are vulnerable.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I also neglected to mention that it will most likely result in a better churro experience as well based on info gathered from data mining.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Worked pretty much flawlessly for us during our trip. :cautious:

And you are likely in the majority, which is evidenced by Disney's rapid deployment of the full rollout. They know how much they spent on labor over the past several months providing tech support. If they didn't think they could reduce those costs significantly, they wouldn't go global with the rollout. Within a couple months, we will see no Legacy kiosks in the parks, and only dummy KttW cards.

Jimmy Thick

I just don't see how Universal data mining is even necessary. They should not have the right to know what Iam doing or what my children are doing. All they want to do is sell my personal information because Comcast is sinking. What a way to make a dollar, selling me and my children out because they wanted to see Potter!!!

Jimmy Thick- Your next trip to Universal brought to you by Lifelock!!!

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I also neglected to mention that it will most likely result in a better churro experience as well based on info gathered from data mining.

Precisely. They'll know exactly how many are sold during a given hour, and how many of those you bought. Then they'll know when you spend some #2 time in their facilities, thus telling them when your GI is ready for another churro, and they'll send a coupon to your iPhone for a BOGO Churro if you get to a cart in 5 minutes!

lazyboy97o

Even if it breaks even in the short term, it's a success. I'm sure it's the foundation for things to come long term.
Did the Key to the World really lay a new foundation for the future of Walt Disney World? Very little of the components in MyMagic+ are new or unique and in order to remain a strong foundation will need the proper ongoing maintenance and upgrades such a system will require. Revenue generation was also promised in the short term, not the long term.

And you are likely in the majority, which is evidenced by Disney's rapid deployment of the full rollout.
Disney has publicly admitted in their earnings calls that MyMagic+ is behind schedule. It was all supposed to have been rolled out by now.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Precisely. They'll know exactly how many are sold during a given hour, and how many of those you bought. Then they'll know when you spend some #2 time in their facilities, thus telling them when your GI is ready for another churro, and they'll send a coupon to your iPhone for a BOGO Churro if you get to a cart in 5 minutes!

And send him offers for churro t-shirts once he is back home.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I just don't see how Universal data mining is even necessary. They should not have the right to know what Iam doing or what my children are doing. All they want to do is sell my personal information because Comcast is sinking. What a way to make a dollar, selling me and my children out because they wanted to see Potter!!!

Jimmy Thick- Your next trip to Universal brought to you by Lifelock!!!

I hear that the next thing from Uni is a Potter wand made out of churro.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
If you listen to their podcast, which was very annoying, they speculate the Universal data mining app could be taking the place of the front of the line access perk from the deluxe resorts.

Talk about a kick in the pants.

Jimmy Thick- And people thought MM+ is bad?

Interesting.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Did the Key to the World really lay a new foundation for the future of Walt Disney World? .
Maybe. Not all efficiencies and advances are customer facing benefits. Before the card you had physical keys. How much money do you think they saved by not having to rekey guest room locks because the previous guest didn't turn in the key? How many claims of room theft were reduced because the key code is changed with each different guest?

Jimmy Thick

BAM, 3 hours later, the RFID chip appears to be floating in water and is no longer traveling on the X and Y grid.

Then you receive a knock on the door with men in suits, Men in Black themed of course, where they offer you another churro.

Jimmy Thick- As a consumer Iam outraged I have to eat so many churros!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom