Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

FigmentJedi

The bird animatronic (I assume that's Mary Oceaneer?) is actually pretty cool. Of course, you only see it for a few seconds as you pass, but I'm sure it'll come as a neat surpise to most. Can't think of another waterslide with an animatronic. Is this the first?
That's her parrot partner Duncan. Mary Oceaneer's the human depicted in that figurehead.

RandySavage

I just wanted to point out that we found out about this project only 9 months ago and construction only started a little more than 6 months ago. By disney standards this was Quick! I hope we see more projects of this scope and speed at the water parks soon.

So quick because it is also a naked structure, excluding the prop scenes.

What makes Typhoon Lagoon so uniquely awesome among waterparks is the slides coming off the mountain are sold as natural streams embedded in rockwork. Crush n Gusher uses the conceit that is was a fruit cannery (maybe the chutes were used to move the merchandise?), which isn't as strong as natural streams.

I wonder what the conceit of this slide is, i.e., why are the rafts going up the lift? We'll find out soon.

Disney Analyst

What makes Typhoon Lagoon so uniquely awesome among waterparks is the slides coming off the mountain are sold as natural streams embedded in rockwork. Crush n Gusher uses the conceit that is was a fruit cannery (maybe the chutes were used to move the merchandise?), which isn't as strong as natural streams.

I wonder what the conceit of this slide is, i.e., why are the rafts going up the lift? We'll find out soon.

Rafts are labeled as "precious cargo", so maybe conceit is moving objects that were strewn about from typhoon?

roj2323

Video:

Biff215

I just wanted to point out that we found out about this project only 9 months ago and construction only started a little more than 6 months ago. By disney standards this was Quick! I hope we see more projects of this scope and speed at the water parks soon.
I believe Crush n Gusher was similar. As someone else pointed out, it's much easier to be quick with something like this, as most of it was built offsite and simply assembled while the park was closed. It's not something Disney wants or needs to stretch out over multiple fiscal years as it's probably cheap compared to other projects. Maybe Blizzard will get something next, I just hope they can do it without ruining the theme there.

Incomudro

Very nice theme work on MissAdventure Falls.
As I had believed, the view from the riders perspective is much better than from the aerial views.
Re. Volcano Bay:
By all rights, it should be better than Typhoon Lagoon, as it's being constructed 28 years later.
And yet, it's slides aren't built in as TL's are, and the themeing is unoriginal, and even derivative.

Last edited:

raven

The issue is that there's too much unnecessary things going on with the volcano where it's to the point where it looks silly, there's slides protruding out of it from every angle.
It's a water park. Guests visit to get wet and have fun.
Quick for a single attraction, yes. But still extremely slow compared to construction in other parks.

Figment2005

Sorry but this is a very inaccurate statement. In addition to the 3 drop slides in the top of the volcano the lazy river travels through it as well as the water coaster. The wave pool as well as a secondary unidentified pool is also incorporated. There's a ton going on with the volcano and it's not just a prop.
C6CEAykWAAE7RE3.jpg:large
I did say the majority. I don't know about you but I count more slides standing on standard platforms, with very minor theming than I do coming off the volcano. Also, the slides in the volcano look like they were set on the structure, not part of the structure.

andysol

Dear lord... opening day of this ride and many of you keep talking exclusively about Volcano Bay. How about you go to the dedicated volcano bay thread if you wish to only discuss Volcano bay?

Im disappointed there isn't a little more to the thematic elements on the lift, as half the "ride time" is spent there- but I really appreciate the ride. TL has so few attractions (11) compared to aquatica (14) and Volcano bay (18) or even BB (12). So it was needed. And of benefit- this has no height requirement- which is great for those of us with Littles.

The thing I'm impressed with the most, is the small tiny details that is very Disney. They could have just gone with generic rafts, yet they chose to put "precious cargo" on them. That's the stuff they do that puts a smile on my face- just taking a "basic" ride and putting charm into it that the whole family can enjoy. Well done for what it is.

Quinnmac000

I did say the majority. I don't know about you but I count more slides standing on standard platforms, with very minor theming than I do coming off the volcano. Also, the slides in the volcano look like they were set on the structure, not part of the structure.

Then I hope you don't plan to go to Volcano bay and stay attending Typhoon Lagoon. I mean if its minimally themed at volcano bay and this is fantastically themed to you then you are helping others who want to go to Volcano bay enjoy it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom