Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

Rinx

There is no height restriction on the ride as far as I know.

Leads me to think it will be quite tame. It's difficult to tell from the aerial but it doesn't seem very tall either. Parents could probably hold infants in arms without risking their own safety.

Biff215

Teamboat Springs doesn't have a requirement. I wouldn't call it tame. Disney just has very kid-friendly height requirements.
Typhoon's other family raft ride doesn't have one either, although riders have to sit and hold on individually, so no holding little ones. I made the mistake of pushing my wife to bring our then 1-2 year old on, and she still hasn't forgiven me. That was one long ride down!

Stitchon

Contrary to what we've been used to from WDI, this is not an "off the shelf" design that they bought quickly. They went with Proslide even if they are the most expensive water slide designer in the world and they booked long enough in advance to get a delivery slot for this year. Proslide has been so busy and booked up for so many years their own water park project in Ottawa, Canada has stalled since they can't even slot the slide pieces on their own production line!

The slide design is completely custom and I am wondering this: what kind of raft will they use? I saw they will be 4 person rafts, but will they be the circular ones seen notably at Teamboat Springs at Blizzard Beach or the CLOVERLeaf Raft used since 2003?

CLOVERLeaf raft:

funnel_14.jpg

Am I supposed to congratulate them for this?

Because their competitor down the road will have a park filled with relatively cutting-edge waterslides and the best Disney can do is a family raft ride after more than decade of forgetting the water parks exist.

Biff215

It doesn't look longer than Teamboat Springs to me.
I agree. Teamboat is 1,400 feet long, and was billed as the world's longest (not sure if it still is).

Side note...I worked at BB when I was a CP in 2000. It was actually when the belt was added to Teamboat. About once a month our managers would let us stay after park close to "play". One of our favorites was grabbing the toboggan mats and heading down Teamboat, probably about 30 of us at the same time. It lengthened the ride quite a bit as we battled our way down. Only thing better might have been going down DDD with a deflated tube and skipping across the water and hitting the barrier at the bottom.

Then there was the guy who took the mat down Summit...head first. That might have been our last play night, but they were great times!

Absimilliard

Because their competitor down the road will have a park filled with relatively cutting-edge waterslides and the best Disney can do is a family raft ride after more than decade of forgetting the water parks exist.

Walt Disney Imagineering beat Universal in one aspect: accessibility. Notice this: Miss Fortune Falls will be fully accessible to everyone and won't require guests to climb a gazillion stairs to experience. Meanwhile, Universal could have added elevators or accessible paths to its towers at Volcano Bay and from every picture I've seen, did not do it. I presume the Water Coaster and possibly the Volcano slides will have some ways for those who have issues with stairs to access, but the rest? Don't think so.

Both Six Flags (at Fiesta Texas) and Disney at Typhoon Lagoon spent a lot more money than they could have gotten away with to have Proslide incorporate ride-on conveyor belt lifts into their new attractions. You may say why does it cost more, but it does and you're talking millions more on a big slide. Mammoth at Holiday World cost 11.5 million dollars back in 2012 thanks in part to its ride along conveyor belt. Wildebeast, their 4 person Hydromagnetic slide cost millions more than comparable installations again due to the ride along conveyor belt.

Ripken10

Technically speaking, Universal has gone longer forgetting water parks exist.

Disney Analyst

Walt Disney Imagineering beat Universal in one aspect: accessibility. Notice this: Miss Fortune Falls will be fully accessible to everyone and won't require guests to climb a gazillion stairs to experience. Meanwhile, Universal could have added elevators or accessible paths to its towers at Volcano Bay and from every picture I've seen, did not do it. I presume the Water Coaster and possibly the Volcano slides will have some ways for those who have issues with stairs to access, but the rest? Don't think so.

Both Six Flags (at Fiesta Texas) and Disney at Typhoon Lagoon spent a lot more money than they could have gotten away with to have Proslide incorporate ride-on conveyor belt lifts into their new attractions. You may say why does it cost more, but it does and you're talking millions more on a big slide. Mammoth at Holiday World cost 11.5 million dollars back in 2012 thanks in part to its ride along conveyor belt. Wildebeast, their 4 person Hydromagnetic slide cost millions more than comparable installations again due to the ride along conveyor belt.

Great point. Accessibility is so important.

Figment2005

The only truly impressive thing at Volcano bay is the volcano. Everything else barely has theming and are just as off the shelf as any other water park.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only truly impressive thing at Volcano bay is the volcano. Everything else barely has theming and are just as off the shelf as any other water park.

Dunno.. they seem to have the landscaping and integration and not just some rides plopped down on a concrete pad.. as most water parks are. It looks like it will be on par with a TL or Discovery Cove on those fronts.

Absimilliard

Didn't Wet'n'Wild get a new slide most years?

They did. When Universal took over, they added The Storm, a Dueling body bowl slide to a corner of the park. Then, they replaced older slides with new things such as a custom Tornado 45 on the "extreme tower", a Behemoth Bowl that shared the tower of the Family Raft Slide and ripped out the old kid area for a brand new custom one from Proslide. Last addition was Bubba Tub near the entrance replaced by a 4 lane mat racer. New slides were coming in, but as I saw on my last visit to the park last November, they had given up on infrastructure and the rest a while ago. The place felt very tired and dated.

Jon81uk

And this is supposed to be opening in 7 days? Looks no where near ready :confused:

I think it's deliberate that they are only landscaping where you will be able to see it from the ride as a priority. There is a fence just past the pool so it doesn't really matter if there aren't trees everywhere.

Incomudro

I think it's deliberate that they are only landscaping where you will be able to see it from the ride as a priority. There is a fence just past the pool so it doesn't really matter if there aren't trees everywhere.

Yes, it's very likely that what you see from the ride - and what you see from the ground, is much better than from this aerial view.
There may be more planting to come too, a lot of planting can be done in a day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom