Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

PeterAlt

-
But Bob promised us that 'Figment is not going anywhere...'...!

;)
Folks, things are happening. We have lots of dead-end "hints" from within WDI. For example, that one comment about some mystery project being worked on for EPCOT for a 2015 opening. Then, we have the flood of Soaring rumors. And the Baxter comment that could be interrupted in many ways concerning the Imagination pavilion. I interrupted his comment to be some future project for the pavilion that holds true to the original spirit of the attraction.

So much speculation. Not enough answers. We'll know sooner or later. I hope it's sooner than later because the suspense is KILLING me!

PeterAlt

Of course he isn't.
There are still gift shops and pin stands, aren't there?

Worst comes to worst and they can stick all the figment AAs that are still working in the Spaceship Earth decent.
Please keep bad ideas to yourself. Disney people do read these boards. The last thing we need is for one to read that who thinks that's a great idea and sends a memo off to Iger, who then signs off on it, green lighting it. That's why I try to keep the ideas I post here things I myself would like to see happen and let them think it was their idea. I would be fine with that.

PeterAlt

Trust me the Imagineers hate this more than we do, Biggest problem is that Disney picked up a retail guy Paul Pressler who thought that the only moving parts in the parks should be cash register drawers, Jay Rasulo who is likely to succeed Iger has embraced this worldview and the parks have been cheapened and 'mallified' through the years to their current low state.

If you want to see what Imagineers are still capable of you need to visit DisneySea in Tokyo, DL Hong Kong and DL Paris, DL in Anaheim is still good but it pales in comparison to the parks run under license and since its owned by DIsney it is subject to the malign influence of Iger and his boyo's
If Jay Rasulo becomes Iger's successor, I will submit to Disney an open letter of resignation as company fanboy and return all the treasure trove crates of collectables and memorabilia currently stored away somewhere under lock and key in a secure location buried under sand in the Carribean (probably Bimini, Bahamas) away from prying eyes and protected by the skeleton remains of dead pirates who tell no tales.

raymusiccity

image.jpg
Hey Disney people.
Replace Spaceship Earth with a giant princess statue.
I agree. Now that we're promoting Star Wars, I vote for a Princess Leia Statue :)

Figments Friend

Folks, things are happening. We have lots of dead-end "hints" from within WDI. For example, that one comment about some mystery project being worked on for EPCOT for a 2015 opening. Then, we have the flood of Soaring rumors. And the Baxter comment that could be interrupted in many ways concerning the Imagination pavilion. I interrupted his comment to be some future project for the pavilion that holds true to the original spirit of the attraction.

So much speculation. Not enough answers. We'll know sooner or later. I hope it's sooner than later because the suspense is KILLING me!

Agree, though the building of the 3rd Soarin' theatre will take capex budgeted for EPCOT away from any other forthcoming refurb projects for a while.
Like the proposed Imagination re-do...which concerns me.

In my personal opinion, adding a 3rd theatre to Soarin' seems insane.
Yes, the attraction has long wait times/lines...yes, it is a popular attraction, but let's address the real issue here that causes those long wait times.
Capacity issues.
There are not enough things to do in EPCOT currently for Guests...today's Guests...to do.
Thus why we see such huge lines at the top two attractions at the Park.

The money would be better invested in actually addressing the issue EPCOT currently has, which is capacity/things to do.
Building a new attraction, rehabbing a existing attraction ( in a closed Pavilion..cough..), or something along those lines seems to make more sense.
Of course, that would require a little more money probably...plus a actual amazing new concept or idea for a new attraction/addition.

Burbank is well aware of WDW having this issue in all of it's Parks in FL.
The interesting thing will be to see how quickly this is addressed in the next few years....and in what form.

Just adding a 'extension' onto a existing popular attraction is not the answer.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Well now we know,,, as spirit stated in his thread the plan is for Imagination to close for good, sit and rott, and mask it with a new soarin, and princess hall announcement and hope the public will forget about it and let it go. Totally unacceptable. This is now the time to send out letters to George K, Staggs, etc. If we dont make a fuss now then theres no hope for it. He said once it closes its too late.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
There are people who prefer Tarzan rocks over Nemo? That is surprising to me.
Add me to the list.
We saw TR when my boys were younger. They loved it.
I saw Nemo for the first time this year - without my boys. I can't imagine they would have liked it at all.
IMO, Tarzan Rocks had more cross-over appeal. Both boys and girls seemed to enjoy it equally. Nemo is not that appealing to teenaged boys or young men.

willtravel

Well now we know,,, as spirit stated in his thread the plan is for Imagination to close for good, sit and rott, and mask it with a new soarin, and princess hall announcement and hope the public will forget about it and let it go. Totally unacceptable. This is now the time to send out letters to George K, Staggs, etc. If we dont make a fuss now then theres no hope for it. He said once it closes its too late.
I can see Universe of Energy to close eventually. But if the rumor for Imagination is true, very disappointed. I think Soarin's nice but not for 2 buildings.

Last edited:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I can see Universe of Energy to close eventually. But if the rumor for Imagination is ture, very disappointed. I think Soarin nice but not for 2 buildings.
I would be all for 2 Soarin' buildings. One for the original "Soarin' Over California" - cleaned up of course. A new one for the new film "Soarin Over the World" - to be built on VACANT land.
I love the original film. I would hate to lose it completely.

A new building with two separate queues would be kind of like the new Princess Fairytale Hall, where you choose your line based on which film you want to see. I don't see the desire to see the original disappearing any time soon.
A separate outside entrance would be phenomenal.

With the Circle of Life film replaced, the Land pavilion would be self-sustaining, even without Soarin'. Living with the Land is still a wonderful attraction. And Sunshine Seasons is a destination of its own.

The Imagination pavilion needs to be cleaned up; with a refurbed Figment ride, a new 3D film, and a re-opened upstairs.

Last edited:

alphac2005

At least we've
The question for me is, is Soarin' a good attraction or is there lack of good attractions in FW that makes Soarin' have high wait times?

It's akin to Toy Story Midway Mania. If the Studios had numerous attractions, it would still be popular, but it wouldn't be an hour or two hour wait. I personally could take it or leave it with Soarin', but I also know that there are many people that enjoy it.

If Future World had a full roster of quality attractions, there's no way it would have the lines that it does. The lesson learned here should be that Soarin' is something that nearly everyone can do. They destroyed the beloved Horizons to put in an attraction with an "edge" and Mission: Space is nearly walk-on status at all times. The difference is that Horizons was a people eater and walk-on and M:S is a slow roll to get people on.

willtravel

At least we've

It's akin to Toy Story Midway Mania. If the Studios had numerous attractions, it would still be popular, but it wouldn't be an hour or two hour wait. I personally could take it or leave it with Soarin', but I also know that there are many people that enjoy it.

If Future World had a full roster of quality attractions, there's no way it would have the lines that it does. The lesson learned here should be that Soarin' is something that nearly everyone can do. They destroyed the beloved Horizons to put in an attraction with an "edge" and Mission: Space is nearly walk-on status at all times. The difference is that Horizons was a people eater and walk-on and M:S is a slow roll to get people on.
Does M:S still have there sponser?

Seabasealpha1

I'll go out on a limb here...

I don't think they'll let the pavilion sit empty...if folks threw a fit over a wand up the side of spaceship earth, they'll REALLY hate there being 2 BIG empty pavilions at Epcot. I agree there isn't enough to do... Given the size of the 2 pavilions aforementioned, there ought to be a crap ton of stuff to do. Looking back, killing off WoL had to really sock the attraction count in the gut a bit! No doubt!

Look at it this way also (given that we're not ABSOLUTELY sure they're going to close it at all) there have been far crappier rides stay open despite the gripes...for example, I can sit through imagination like it is now...I CANNOT sit through "Stitches Great Escape"...I bearly (pun intended) make it through Winnie the Pooh, and I openly WELCOMED the idea of tearing down the Snow White Attraction. I STILL think Imagination sucks in it's current form...but they do keep open worse attractions...if they're going to make any move at all, they'll do SOMETHING with it. There's already a lack of things to do in Future World West. On top of that...giant glass pyramids are hard to miss and not ask questions about...at least with WoL there's enough crappy foliage to somewhat hide it...

Somethings gotta give anyway Futureworld needs some serious love...

And screw putting soarin' in a third theater...I say re-add Kitchen Kabaret! ;)

Bairstow

I also don't think they would let the pavilion sit empty when they could just run the current ride in there for several more years.
It's not as if it's a particularly staff or maintenance-heavy attraction. Why not just leave it as-is?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom