Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well WoL they could hide behind the trees by moving a few pots in the way. Wonder what they would do about Imagination with it's huge presence on the vista...

Bairstow

Well WoL they could hide behind the trees by moving a few pots in the way. Wonder what they would do about Imagination with it's huge presence on the vista...

Again, there's no reason to suspect that they would close the current attraction unless it was to upgrade or replace it.

...which means there's no reason to suspect that they would close the current attraction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, there's no reason to suspect that they would close the current attraction unless it was to upgrade or replace it.

What makes you say that? The ever present reason is still in play.. $$$. The attraction lacks a legit sponsor.. it has anemic attendance..

WDW has a long history of shuttering rides or shows and just letting them rot without any immediate plans for upgrade/replace.

Bairstow

What makes you say that? The ever present reason is still in play.. $$$. The attraction lacks a legit sponsor.. it has anemic attendance..

WDW has a long history of shuttering rides or shows and just letting them rot without any immediate plans for upgrade/replace.

Well they still move quite a lot of Figment merch.
That little store at the back of the Image Works may keep the entire pavilion open.

orky8

The question for me is, is Soarin' a good attraction or is there lack of good attractions in FW that makes Soarin' have high wait times?

Fortunately there is a very easy answer to that question -- look out west. Soarin in California never has the insane wait times that the Epcot version does because it is located in a park with plentiful other options.

This is not about Soarin's capacity -- it is about the complete lack of alternatives. The wait time for an attraction largely reflects the economic cost-benefit analysis made by the visitor and is not an indicator of capacity. Once an attraction's capacity is met, the queue begins to build. How quickly it builds is primarily based on the ride's capacity. However, how long the queue gets is primarily based on the ride's demand (because for nearly all rides demand will exceed capacity). As the wait time increases each visitor makes an individual decision as to whether that wait time is "worth it." Adding a third, fourth, or fifth theater will do little to account for the fact that there are so few attractions in Epcot that most visitors deem Soarin to be worth a 180 minute wait. On the other hand, visitors to DCA have determined that because there are so many other attractions, Soarin is generally only worth a 40-60 minute wait before their time would be better spent elsewhere. Increased capacity will allow more people to ride, which may reduce demand from repeat riders, but I see it having only a minimal impact on the actual wait time, if all they do is add a third theater with the same film.

Zweiland

I'll go out on a limb here...

I don't think they'll let the pavilion sit empty...if folks threw a fit over a wand up the side of spaceship earth, they'll REALLY hate there being 2 BIG empty pavilions at Epcot. I agree there isn't enough to do... Given the size of the 2 pavilions aforementioned, there ought to be a crap ton of stuff to do. Looking back, killing off WoL had to really sock the attraction count in the gut a bit! No doubt!

Look at it this way also (given that we're not ABSOLUTELY sure they're going to close it at all) there have been far crappier rides stay open despite the gripes...for example, I can sit through imagination like it is now...I CANNOT sit through "Stitches Great Escape"...I bearly (pun intended) make it through Winnie the Pooh, and I openly WELCOMED the idea of tearing down the Snow White Attraction. I STILL think Imagination sucks in it's current form...but they do keep open worse attractions...if they're going to make any move at all, they'll do SOMETHING with it. There's already a lack of things to do in Future World West. On top of that...giant glass pyramids are hard to miss and not ask questions about...at least with WoL there's enough crappy foliage to somewhat hide it...

Somethings gotta give anyway Futureworld needs some serious love...

And screw putting soarin' in a third theater...I say re-add Kitchen Kabaret! ;)
People also hated having just one empty building in Epcot, but that didn't change anything.

Goofyernmost

Simple...paint it the same color as the sky and no one will even notice it. Soarin anyone? That, of course was a joke because even though they didn't manage to conceal the Soarin building, they did remove it from being totally in your face. I, honestly, don't even notice it anymore. I am not looking for it anymore either, so that helps, but when they were building it it might just as well have been florescent orange.

Goofyernmost

Fortunately there is a very easy answer to that question -- look out west. Soarin in California never has the insane wait times that the Epcot version does because it is located in a park with plentiful other options.

This is not about Soarin's capacity -- it is about the complete lack of alternatives. The wait time for an attraction largely reflects the economic cost-benefit analysis made by the visitor and is not an indicator of capacity. Once an attraction's capacity is met, the queue begins to build. How quickly it builds is primarily based on the ride's capacity. However, how long the queue gets is primarily based on the ride's demand (because for nearly all rides demand will exceed capacity). As the wait time increases each visitor makes an individual decision as to whether that wait time is "worth it." Adding a third, fourth, or fifth theater will do little to account for the fact that there are so few attractions in Epcot that most visitors deem Soarin to be worth a 180 minute wait. On the other hand, visitors to DCA have determined that because there are so many other attractions, Soarin is generally only worth a 40-60 minute wait before their time would be better spent elsewhere. Increased capacity will allow more people to ride, which may reduce demand from repeat riders, but I see it having only a minimal impact on the actual wait time, if all they do is add a third theater with the same film.
I cannot deny the truth to that because I haven't been there since the opening of the "new DCA" but before that it didn't have much of a problem either because nobody went to DCA. Now they have Carsland as a distraction.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

This here potted plant building should cause people to forget all about the pavilion, be fairly unobtrusive, and lend a certain je ne sais quoi to FW.

edouard-flowertower.jpg

magicallactose

Well they still move quite a lot of Figment merch.
That little store at the back of the Image Works may keep the entire pavilion open.

If Figment merch really is that lucrative, I could see them creating a new, elaborate Figment meet-and-greet to maintain his presence in the park.

Didn't the planned meet-meet-and-great for Sleeping Beauty in New Fantasyland involve kids making birthday cards with her? That sort of arts and craft activity would make much more sense with Figment and the theme of 'imagination'. Maybe they could then scan the kids' drawings and bring them to life through animation (like they do on the Disney cruise ship). They could even sell a DVD of the animation in addition to a professional photo with Figment. I'm sure that would be quite lucrative.

Last edited:

alphac2005

People also hated having just one empty building in Epcot, but that didn't change anything.

That's right. Management could care less. Period. They don't care about you, I, or any other customer. We're all replaceable, they're geniuses with spreadsheets and bonus targets to meet.

I've noticed so often the resurgence in business from Brazil and that these international groups are just massive profit machines for the Mouse. My company deals worldwide and I've learned enough about economics over the years to think about how damn shortsighted everything is within their dysfunctional corporate system.

Brazil's economy is slowing down and at some point recessions hit every country due to natural cycles. It seems like a lot of their gambling has been on bringing in customers from certain geographic areas. So, Brazil has a massive slowdown and tourism dries up relatively from there. It then reinforces the fact that if you alienate your domestic audience and kill your long-term customer basis, it'll bite you on the rear. The price of a WDW vacation for many regular working people is just too high.

They've lost my family as customers. My parents are fanatics and still give the Mouse too much money, but it's a fraction of what it was. My wife and I loved <-- WDW, but we've abandoned ship. We have three children and none of them are being brought up with the love of the product and in-turn, the Mouse isn't getting a cent out of them long term. Generational branding is what companies are all about and it's ironic that all that Iger pushes is to own all of these properties to have that long-term branding, but the company is doing so much to actually negate what they're setting out to accomplish. I know so many families that are so sick of Disney junk everywhere that they don't go or have no interest. They have a long-term mess in Florida, but have the Wall St. mentality of only short-term personal gains. One day it will come back to get them.

Last edited:

willtravel

That's right. Management could care less. Period. That don't care about you, I, or any other customer. We're all replaceable, they're geniuses with spreadsheets and bonus targets to meet.

I've noticed so often the resurgence in business from Brazil and that these international groups are just massive profit machines for the Mouse. My company deals worldwide and I've learned enough about economics over the years to think about how damn shortsighted everything is within their dysfunctional corporate system.

Brazil's economy is slowing down and at some point recessions hit every country due to natural cycles. It seems like a lot of their gambling has been on bringing in customers from certain geographic areas. So, Brazil has a massive slowdown and tourism dries up relatively from there. It then reinforces the fact that if you alienate your domestic audience and kill your long-term customer basis, it'll bite you on the rear. The price of a WDW vacation for many regular working people is just too high.

They've lost my family as customers. My parents are fanatics and still give the Mouse too much money, but it's a fraction of what it was. My wife and I loved <-- WDW, but we've abandoned ship. We have three children and none of them are being brought up with the love of the product and in-turn, the Mouse isn't getting a cent out of them long term. Generational branding is what companies are all about and it's ironic that all that Iger pushes is to own all of these properties to have that long-term branding, but the company is doing so much to actually negate what they're setting out to accomplish. I know so many families that are so sick of Disney junk everywhere that they don't go or have no interest. They have a long-term mess in Florida, but have the Wall St. mentality of only short-term personal gains. One day it will come back to get them.
Ok, I'm depressed. Time to go eat some Ho Hos.......:(

Bairstow

If Figment merch really is that lucrative, I could see them creating a new, elaborate Figment meet-and-greet to maintain his presence in the park.

Didn't the planned meet-meet-and-great for Sleeping Beauty in New Fantasyland involve kids making birthday cards with her? That sort of arts and craft activity would make much more sense with Figment and the theme of 'imagination'. Maybe they could then scan the kids' drawings and bring them to life through animation (like they do on the Disney cruise ship). They could even sell a DVD of the animation in addition to a professional photo with Figment. I'm sure that would be quite lucrative.

I was going to say that they've never had Figment out as a full-sized meet-and-greet character before, but a quick Google Image Search proved me wrong!

how to screen capture

Last edited:

CDavid

No worse than the 20,000 Leagues lagoon, and we all know how quickly that was filled and replaced with a major new attraction...

FigmentsFangirl

So; do we have concrete evidence that Imagination is closing ? The whole point of the Imagination pavillion is what Future World at Epcot is all about, I do not want it to end up like the Odyssey Center, never open, always roped off.

If we can't go to Imagination, then how the heck are we to think outside the box ?

Captain Chaos

So; do we have concrete evidence that Imagination is closing ? The whole point of the Imagination pavillion is what Future World at Epcot is all about, I do not want it to end up like the Odyssey Center, never open, always roped off.

If we can't go to Imagination, then how the heck are we to think outside the box ?
That's the problem.. Management no longer thinks outside the box...

This is all depressing... Coming back from what was easily my worst trip ever and now reading that Epcot is going completely down the sewer... I think I need @fractal to post another trip report with his wonderful pictures to cheer me up... Then again, that may not even work... Disney has killed the magic...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

...which means there's no reason to suspect that they would close the current attraction.

There is a good reason to suspect, WDW1974 said that was the plan. Is he always right, no, but I have learned not to outright dismiss his rumors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom