Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

Figments Friend

But is that concept what young/ teen/middle age want? Who is Epcot suppose to appeal to? Apparently the once glorious concept did not go over. To me right now for at least FW, I don't know what or should be put in there to appeal to all the masses. IMO.

Interesting thought.
I would say the original intent was to cover the whole age spectrum, but i would lean more towards adults as being the primary audience for EPCOT Center back in the day.
That has of course been shifted since the Park opened..in some ways good, other ways not so good.

The decline came primarily from these reasons, in my opinion....
Tastes changed and people's perception of a positive future changed.
The shift in attitude with society in general at that time made some of the 'classic' EPCOT Center attractions fall out of favor with the public.
Add into the mix a decrease in keeping a quality show running...cost cutting, and a period when the Park was trying to cut down on operational costs and we have the recipe for the environment we saw develop afterwards. Many of those wounds from that period are still with us today.

I feel EPCOT can be great again, but that does not mean we have to 'go back' to exactly what it was before.
I don't believe in simply bringing back old attractions/shows is the answer. Obviously not in some cases...would not make a lot of sense.
However, i do believe it would be beneficial to 'bring back' the positive, informative, and inspiring aspects.
There is little there now to motivate Guests to be inspired and empowered by what they are experiencing.
It has become mostly a brief thrill, or delights derived from consumption. Shallow compared to what EPCOT Center used to give a Guest.
That is the difference i speak of.

I would like to see that aspect of the EPCOT experience return, and i think it can, but we need a group of forward thinking creative people and a Disney Company that wants to take the time and money to invest in that concept.
That is the hurdle that needs to be conquered first, and a mighty one at that.

Thus why we see such standstill...or seemingly little interest....in fleshing out some more substantial, intellectually exciting offerings.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
NASA doesn't need to open a satellite center at Epcot when the KSC complex (which I agree is amazing) is an hour away.

Space X, on the other hand... ;)

We always rent a car so no problems with getting to KSC, but what about those 'Mousetrapped' by DME? , I agree SpaceX would be a great sponsor the PR it would get from the non space aware community, There was a survey recently that most people think that NASA gets about 20% of the federal budget, They are blown away when they learn that NASA receives only about .004 cents out of every federal dollar spent. Speaks volumes on the IMPACT of NASA's programs.

misterID

Not enough of you to make a difference. Those of us, no matter how young we are, do not constitute large enough numbers to influence the overriding tastes of the majority at this point. You are an in-between, young enough to be in the group but not able to identify with it. It happens.

Sure there's a way to make a difference. More and more people are taking away Disney days and giving them to UNI. The more that happens the less Disney can sit on their "we don't need attractions" high horse.

Goofyernmost

Sure there's a way to make a difference. More and more people are taking away Disney days and giving them to UNI. The more that happens the less Disney can sit on their "we don't need attractions" high horse.
I agree with that, but that wasn't what we were talking about. The topic was going back to the old Epcot, the edutainment one. The slow dark ride one. They are the past as much as I hate to admit it. It's a new technological world and we have to either accept it and be part of it, or languish in memories. At least we have those.

fosse76

Disney just wants us spending $$$$, they cant even provide adequate security on drunken weekends. Its sad that they have lost so much focus and could care less about attractions, and the guest.
Disney doesn't seem to understand general business practices or even Capitalism. Businesses provide goods and services that customers either want or need. Consumers aren't just going to give away their money. Good businesses have products and services that their customers want. Disney, on the other hand, really just wants its customers to hand over their money without anything in return. They provide a stale product, but "freshen it up" with the bare minimum, hoping guests won't notice they aren't actually getting anything in return. Because Disney is Disney, they will get away with, but only for so long. At a certain point people won't bother.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I agree with that, but that wasn't what we were talking about. The topic was going back to the old Epcot, the edutainment one. The slow dark ride one. They are the past as much as I hate to admit it. It's a new technological world and we have to either accept it and be part of it, or languish in memories. At least we have those.
There is no reason that the original ideals and concepts of EPCOT couldn't be updated to fit the new technological world. In fact, I'd argue that a park like EPCOT, it's the most important thing. Future World should be ever evolving, cutting edge, and thought provoking. I think that this is where the original Epcot had shortcomings, and the redo failed heavily at. IMO, EPCOT should be agile, easily updated/upgraded. It should change ahead of the times. Once something feels outdated or stale, it should be updated. It's mission to educate and entertain should be the backbone, the unifying theme of the entire park, but it's attractions lineup should be constantly in flux.
I know, I live in a dream world, ignorant of budgets and such, but I was once told that if we could dream it, we could do it.

misterID

Oh it absolutely could thrive today. Like I mentioned, the park needed variety and still does. It didn't need an identity change. Horizons and the original Imagination would not have been the same today. They would have had major refurbs and possibly could have been a more interactive experience. A "Horizon's in space" attraction along with Mission:SPACE could have easily co-existed. I think it could stil work, tbh. Even the orginal SPACE pavilion concept could work today, imo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There is no reason that the original ideals and concepts of EPCOT couldn't be updated to fit the new technological world. In fact, I'd argue that a park like EPCOT, it's the most important thing. Future World should be ever evolving, cutting edge, and thought provoking. I think that this is where the original Epcot had shortcomings, and the redo failed heavily at. IMO, EPCOT should be agile, easily updated/upgraded. It should change ahead of the times. Once something feels outdated or stale, it should be updated. It's mission to educate and entertain should be the backbone, the unifying theme of the entire park, but it's attractions lineup should be constantly in flux.
I know, I live in a dream world, ignorant of budgets and such, but I was once told that if we could dream it, we could do it.

Precisely, It's why I suggested earlier that FIRST and Vex robotics teams have a demo area the kids would have a ball but in the years that i've been a FIRST mentor we've gone from simple WALDO's to robots which use machine vision to make autonomous decisions. And these are built by High School students in SIX WEEKS.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh it absolutely could thrive today. Like I mentioned, the park needed variety and still does. It didn't need an identity change. Horizons and the original Imagination would not have been the same today. They would have had major refurbs and possibly could have been a more interactive experience. A "Horizon's in space" attraction along with Mission:SPACE could have easily co-existed. I think it could stil work, tbh. Even the orginal SPACE pavilion concept could work today, imo.

Yes Horizons was 'Dated' but when it was built people had not LIVED in space for months, Now that we KNOW what living in space looks like now - new attractions could be built like the Bigelow inflatable space stations, A Space X launch simulation, Automated Farming systems - John Deere would be a natural had an opportunity to see the new automated harvesting systems as well as seed/weed/fertilizer systems which use satellite imagery to deploy exactly the right amounts of water and fertilizer in each section of the fields - saving resources and minimizing runoff which damages streams/lakes/ponds

Goofnut1980

lets pool our money and sponsor Imagination with a restaurant upstairs! Imagine Your Food... Make some fun things with different colors... like a hamburger bun that is blue... and fries that are dyed orange... and red mashed potatos... it would play with your senses.

Jwhee

I heard this rumor a few months ago, and the other day while at Epcot a cm told me it's closing at the end of this year. Is this official? I really want a refurb:)

Goofyernmost

I heard this rumor a few months ago, and the other day while at Epcot a cm told me it's closing at the end of this year. Is this official? I really want a refurb:)
From what I understand, and I could be wrong, the only official or unofficial statement about it closing is from this thread. It's on no others that I could find. Anyway, if it does, I hope it is to be re-imagined. If it's just closing to be used as a warehouse to store more booze in, then I will have to start to sing the praises of the current Figment ride and even would support E.O. :brb:, I have been choking on those words. But it is still better then nothing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
From what I understand, and I could be wrong, the only official or unofficial statement about it closing is from this thread. It's on no others that I could find. Anyway, if it does, I hope it is to be re-imagined. If it's just closing to be used as a warehouse to store more booze in, then I will have to start to sing the praises of the current Figment ride and even would support E.O. :brb:, I have been choking on those words. But it is still better then nothing.

Start singing NOW!

Nubs70

Because NASA is a government agency. Even if it were ethical (an argument can be made that it isn't) it would be financed through taxes. The present state of mind is that they don't even want the real thing much less an expensive display in a for profit business.
The greenhouse at The Land is a USDA sponsored lab.

Goofyernmost

The greenhouse at The Land is a USDA sponsored lab.
But they still feel that USDA is a useful thing, where as they feel that NASA is a big hole in space that we keep pouring money into with no obvious return. I'm not sure that we would have the technology that we have today without NASA's demands for it, but, try convincing anyone of that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom