Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

rodmansju

They make TVs. We got nice TVs.

The fault lies squarely with WDI and their inability to reasonably budget.

to be fair...Siemens makes a LOT more than TVs. If you don't know, you would be surprised. I was managing a technology refresh for Siemens up through last fall (and yes, one refresh we did was SSE for the Siemens network and wi-fi. have the neat map and all too). but they do a lot...none of the US buildings we touched were involved with TVs. medical, large machinery (trains, engines, power production). some pretty impressive things, actually.

FigmentJedi

I like the new ending on SSE. It's fun and it's funny. Also like the new scenes more than the old ones.

They should put the ghost chariot back and go back to Jeremy Irons, though. Then it would be just about perfect.
The new scenes before the descent were great additions, but staring at a screen in your vehicle is no substitute for actual setpieces on the descent. Spaceship Earth used to aspire to inspire, but now the dialog is dumbed down and the ending's a JibJab take on Meet the Robinsons.

CDavid

to be fair...Siemens makes a LOT more than TVs.

Indeed they do:

ACS_sideview_clouds_IMG_4359-1024x580.jpg

Just don't look for pictures of the back end of the locomotive...it's not finished. :D

OFTeric

I still waiting for WDI to change it's name back to WED according to JH

I'm serious, folks. The powers-that-be at Pixar reportedly want to drop the WDI name and then go back to the name that Disney's theme park design division used to have back in the 1960s & 1970s. Which was WED. As in Walt Elias Disney's initials.

Clever Name

More boring than the current Imageworks?
The current Imageworks is highly interesting. Stealthy videographers regularly record the entire space for posterity and post their videos on YouTube. The most current video was only posted on July 29, 2013 and it all ready has 229 views. After all, being charged with criminal trespass and banned from WDW for life is a small price to pay for such an illicit and highly interesting backstage view. Imageworks is obviously more interesting now than it ever was or why would fans take the risks?

RSoxNo1

So one of my long standing wishes has been an LPS ride system in the Imaginagion pavilion. I'm sure it would be ridiculously complicated to do, but I think taking similar concepts/scenes from the original attraction, but allowing guests to truly enter the scene (one of the benefits of LPS) would make for an amazing attraction. From the opening turntable scene all the way through to the other sets, this could be an absolutely amazing attraction if done well.

Big C 73

So one of my long standing wishes has been an LPS ride system in the Imaginagion pavilion. I'm sure it would be ridiculously complicated to do, but I think taking similar concepts/scenes from the original attraction, but allowing guests to truly enter the scene (one of the benefits of LPS) would make for an amazing attraction. From the opening turntable scene all the way through to the other sets, this could be an absolutely amazing attraction if done well.

I had never thought of that, but that is a great idea. There are many possibilities using this ride system. It is free like the imagination, and lets you roam about.

Fairybuzz

If only mission space had taken over wonders of life...horizons was the heart of Epcot. Granted, the fact that Epcot can't have a pavilion dedicated to medicine is appalling especially when we get a fluff piece on automobile design that's neither futuristic (really) nor worldly.

At least they shut up about abs. God that part was so stupid. YEAH look this is why we have ABS in our cars unlike every other car ever made. Yeah were so cool!!

Clamman73

IF. That's the biggest if I could make...

flynnibus

Premium Member
So on a slight tangent... since we're talking about SSE, dated pavilions etc

On the bluray for the Back To the Future trilogy - they have ALL the videos, and a simulation, of the BTTF ride from universal.

What stands out when you watch something like that out of the original context... is you notice JUST HOW MUCH WORK there really was in those things. The amount of video shot and produced for just the preshow of the attraction is quite mindboggling. For those that don't remember, they had fake news reels, a whole setup of Biff in the facility, etc. The amount of film just dwarves the actually attraction duration.

Now what also stood out is just how dated the film had become. BTTF was opened in the early nineties... think about that.. almost 10 years after the original EPCOT and several years after the original MGM. The 'future' stuff like computer animation in the video was just awful by today's standards (rotating pixel mapped polygons).

Which made me think.. look at how fast BTTF dated itself.. why? The films themselves are still awesome! The attraction experience is basically the same as Startours, etc. Then it made me realize.. all those TVs Disney and Uni put in the queues in the 90s to keep you occupied while you waited... they were the albotrosse around the attraction's neck! They bring the whole attraction down. You can see that in T2:3D now too.. it's the film elements in the preshow that date the whole thing so badly. So here we have attractions roughly 20 years old that were basically as bad as 1950s scifi.. but yet we have attractions like IASW and POTC that have lasted twice that long and don't feel dated. The difference... no TVs in the preshows! And to think, they didn't have to waste time and resources producing that stuff either.

So that's my tangent on preshows... the reliance on video in them will probably shorten the life of your attraction! So don't do it! Use real people instead :)

Fairybuzz

these types of post really make me sad about the youth of our country...

Dang it! I didn't mean it was always there I meant on modern cars.I was going to say ever made since (year) But I realized I had no idea what year they came to be, yet for some reason I forgot to change it. Not that the ride told you either.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom