Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

71jason

I know this is what has been reported and I expect its accurate enough, but it is really hard to believe that anyone - even the suits in TDO - think it acceptable to have two closed, shuttered pavilions in Future World. There are just no words. The place isn't exactly overflowing with attractions/rides to begin with.

What's sadder is they could shutter a third--UoE--and possibly even a fourth--Communicore--and I'm still not sure anyone would care.

BobConnor

I know I probably have to duck and run, but now if I were in charge of Epcot I might shut down Imagination NOW. The cost of staffing and power has to be considerable for a place it sounds like hardly anyone goes to and is a negative of what people think of Epcot.

Long term, isn't a trackless dark ride now the industry standard? Having a tracked ride, it might be hard to get parts for and is kind of a step backwards but if that is the only way the building can be, then a new Imagination will be tracked. But what will be done with the turntable that caused so much mechanical trouble?

Goofyernmost

I know I probably have to duck and run, but now if I were in charge of Epcot I might shut down Imagination NOW. The cost of staffing and power has to be considerable for a place it sounds like hardly anyone goes to and is a negative of what people think of Epcot.

Long term, isn't a trackless dark ride now the industry standard? Having a tracked ride, it might be hard to get parts for and is kind of a step backwards but if that is the only way the building can be, then a new Imagination will be tracked. But what will be done with the turntable that caused so much mechanical trouble?
You know what...who cares how much it costs them. Did you by any chance see how many billions that Disney made in profit last year, and the year before, etc. They have the eyesight of Helen Keller if they cannot see that they are running a damn theme park and owe it to the millions of people that spend their hard earned money to visit to have a show for them to see. They pay imagineers hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. What for? Hell, I will go to Burbank and hold a chair down to the floor for a hundred thousand a year income.

If it's for no other reason, entertainment is what they sell, nothing else that isn't connected to the entertainment, then they better damn well have entertainment there for us to see. If they were to close down the Imagination pavilion without an immediate replacement it's the same as saying...listen we know that you saved up a lot of money to come here and see things, but frankly we couldn't care less. Just give us your money and go out there and amuse yourself, you are not worth spending money on.
Looking back, the turntable made zero sense. These days the same thing would be done with an offride preshow.
The problem with looking back is that today's systems didn't exist back then. It might not have been practical but it was awesome. Necessary, no! However, back then they always gave you more then what was necessary. It was fun, it was special, it was entertaining, it was something that you sat in wonder of and told people about when you got home. It was something that you went back to see for years and years and years. What was the last pre-show that you saw that would bring about that kind of reaction. I'll tell you...none!

I'm sorry if I have come across somewhat agitated, but, even though I am known to give Disney a break on many little things that basically are meaningless, like plain napkins, Starbucks, the reality that things break even in the Magic Kingdom. When, however, they continuously close attractions with no replacement then they are striking a nerve that won't heal easily. Attractions are their business...you cannot constantly run out of inventory and expect to stay in business. If you cannot replace them with something new then leave the things that currently exist. At the rate they are going I fully expect to see "Going Out of Business" signs on the front gates before the decade is done. They might even have a policeman there repeating..."Keep moving, nothing to see here!"

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

If you cannot replace them with something new then leave the things that currently exist. At the rate they are going I fully expect to see "Going Out of Business" signs on the front gates before the decade is done. They might even have a policeman there repeating..."Keep moving, nothing to see here!"

If you read the history of EPCOT, it's not as rosy as you might think. Visitors got tired of all the dark rides pretty quickly, and much of Future World was walk-on. World showcase was even worse. I enjoyed going because it was so unique - and empty.

Before the Eisner days, Disney was actually considering selling off the park. The open area between the two sides of Communicore was dead, and the overly infotainment theme of the park confused and bored visitors.

In a sense we have come full circle.

Bairstow

The problem with looking back is that today's systems didn't exist back then. It might not have been practical but it was awesome. Necessary, no! However, back then they always gave you more then what was necessary. It was fun, it was special, it was entertaining, it was something that you sat in wonder off and told people about when you got home. It was something that you went back to see for years and years and years. What was the last pre-show that you saw that would bring about that kind of reaction. I'll tell you...none!

I'm sorry if I have come across somewhat agitated, but, even though I am known to give Disney a break on many little things that basically are meaningless, like plain napkins, Starbucks, the reality that things break even in the Magic Kingdom. When, however, they continuously close attractions with no replacement then they are striking a nerve that won't heal easily. Attractions are their business...you cannot constantly run out of inventory and expect to stay in business. If you cannot replace them with something new then leave the things that currently exist. At the rate they are going I fully expect to see "Going Out of Business" signs on the front gates before the decade is done. They might even have a policeman there repeating..."Keep moving, nothing to see here!"

Before we jump off into total hyperbole, think about the preshow for Alien Encounter, the one with the exceedingly well-animated and voiced S.I.R. figure.
I would totally rate that one right up there with the turntable sequence from Imagination.

I haven't seen it in person, but judging from the Youtube videos the preshow to Mystic Manor is pretty great too.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If you read the history of EPCOT, it's not as rosy as you might think. Visitors got tired of all the dark rides pretty quickly, and much of Future World was walk-on. World showcase was even worse. I enjoyed going because it was so unique - and empty.

Before the Eisner days, Disney was actually considering selling off the park. The open area between the two sides of Communicore was dead, and the overly infotainment theme of the park confused and bored visitors.

In a sense we have come full circle.
Interesting...because Eisner came around in 84, and the park had barely been open for 2 years when he took over.

I remember in the late 80s the park being quite packed. And pictures my parents took in 82 show a park very full (there was no MGM or AK to distract back then).

However, I do recall in the early 90s it started to empty out. That being said, a 30 minute wait wasn't out of the question for pretty much any attraction. And, I loved that park (never got to spend enough time in the Communicores)....

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.

Yeah, 'cause there aren't enough empty buildings in Epcot as it is.

BTW - we rode Imagination twice during our visit a few weeks ago. While not MY favourite ride, my nephew loved it. It also remains one of my 17 year old son's favourite rides, and I am required to pick him up some type of Figment trinket each trip.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

BTW - we rode Imagination twice during our visit a few weeks ago. While not MY favourite ride, my nephew loved it. It also remains one of my 17 year old son's favourite rides, and I am required to pick him up some type of Figment trinket each trip.
They could pull Figment around in a little red wagon, call it an attraction, and I would watch it......

englanddg

One Little Spark...

My daughter loves it as well. It's a fun ride, but it pales in comparison to what it used to be (in my mind). Since my kiddo never KNEW what it used to be, then this is "her figgy" ride. Also, since she never knew the Imageworks upstairs playground, she thinks the current one is awesome.

The only stuffed doll she has ever begged for at Disney, in 4 years of trips, has been a Figgy doll. This past trip, we had to get a second Figgy doll for her little sister, because she keeps stealing my kiddo's Figgy doll. And, as a kid, the one stuffed animal I got from Disney was a Figgy doll, so all this makes me smile.

Something about that cute little dragon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom