Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

ChrisFL

Premium Member
No, because in many ways it is absolutely true. The absence of Horizons has done more to fortify the "greatness" of Horizons then it's actual existence did. Personally, I liked Horizon, but, I didn't ride it every trip, as apparently most also didn't. It quickly became dull (if the highlight of memory for most people is the fact that you could smell oranges, that says it all). It was creative and well done. I always thought the ending was lame. Never did care for it much even though I understood its purpose, it just wasn't convincing. (and we now complain about the quality of Soarin's film) The ending was an exciting technology, however, it wasn't done as well as I think it could have been.

In short, if Horizon's were still operational, it would be playing to a near empty house, like it was before it was ended. When it was new and different and seemed technologically cutting edge, it was seen by many. It just didn't age well.

You may be surprised, but I disagree :p

We have to remember that the endings were done in 1983...film technology was still pretty old-school and I'll be the first to say that the ending movies weren't kept up to new condition as they should have been.

Did you know the Mesa Verde (desert) sequence was the longest single-shot sequence of a scale model in history? They put a TON of work into those things, and the idea that you can choose your own ending....YEARS before any other attraction even attempted such a thing, makes it special.

I don't mean that Horizons shouldn't have been updated, but seriously, people aren't on space stations yet, they aren't living in undersea cities, and we're still figuring out how to re-claim deserts for farm land (but I hear they're making progress).

Speaking of Bold visions, when has a video game simulator on a centrifuge ever been bold? I'm sorry I just don't get it. Horizons was a fully FAMILY oriented attraction with several visions of what the future could be like with real, scientific concepts, not fantasies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
well...they need to sell tickets...and people visit WDW and often spend thousands on a vacation....all that discovery and fascination you mention... yeah that can be found at my local museum of science for a lot less. sorry if i want real rides and attractions for a few Gs.
with that said theres still a place for education and story telling but the raw learn only types of attractions that once dominated epcot center are a very expensive science museum.

Unfortunately, some people in charge there actually started to believe this. Luckily they didn't get too far dismantling the vision of EPCOT, but some permanent damage was done. EPCOT may not appeal to everyone and it shouldn't have to. If someone goes to O town just looking for thrill rides they aren't going to visit EPCOT at all with or without MS. Really most of WDW would be lost on them. Dark rides aren't thrilling. The few coasters WDW has are not high thrill. I know because I can ride them without barfing. You won't catch me at your local six flags.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Speaking of Bold visions, when has a video game simulator on a centrifuge ever been bold?

Show me anyone else who has built a centrifuge for walk up access for the public.. and then built FOUR of them. And then lets throw some rotational axis control on there as well.

Most people can't touch this - and Disney built an attraction with FOUR of them. The guy who did the original pitch must have ate his Wheaties that morning to stand up to the assault I'm sure they faced from the doubters it could be done.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Show me anyone else who has built a centrifuge for walk up access for the public.. and then built FOUR of them. And then lets throw some rotational axis control on there as well.

Most people can't touch this - and Disney built an attraction with FOUR of them. The guy who did the original pitch must have ate his Wheaties that morning to stand up to the assault I'm sure they faced from the doubters it could be done.
And sadly locked two in position...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In short, if Horizon's were still operational, it would be playing to a near empty house, like it was before it was ended. When it was new and different and seemed technologically cutting edge, it was seen by many. It just didn't age well.
Thats impossible to claim since there's no way to quantify your post.

However, Horizons received three minor updates during its 17 year lifespan. Three. And two of them were during its first 18 months. No wonder it was looking dated. Had the SSE 94 style overhaul happened I dare say it would have more than stood the test of time.

PhotoDave219

Here's a thought....

Closing Figment in any respect is a giant mistake. Its one of the few kiddie rides left in the park and there are damn few things there aimed at the ten-year-old and under set.

Animaniac93-98

aliens-meme.jpg

"I'm not saying EPCOT Center was built by aliens,

but EPCOT Center was built by aliens."

ParentsOf4

Well, I haven't had cable in a long time, so I'm not talking about "Ancient Aliens" (which I think is History Channel?) or some such. I'm just referring to the modern, comedic tone that is very popular and well-liked nowadays. See: Terry Jones in the clip I posted above.
Hey, don't mess with my Ancient Aliens.

When I have a bad case of insomnia, I put it on (using amazon.com) and am out within 10 minutes.:D

Goofyernmost

However, Horizons received three minor updates during its 17 year lifespan. Three. And two of them were during its first 18 months. No wonder it was looking dated. Had the SSE 94 style overhaul happened I dare say it would have more than stood the test of time.
The only thing we have to go by is what was done before. I'm saying that I think that "IF" it were the same dead attraction that it got to be by the end of its life, it would be unattended like it was just before it closed. You are saying "IF" changes would have been made it would still be going strong. Both are impossible to claim since neither of them happened.

PhotoDave219

17 years!?!? It lasted 17 years!?!?!?!!?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only thing we have to go by is what was done before. I'm saying that I think that "IF" it were the same dead attraction that it got to be by the end of its life, it would be unattended like it was just before it closed. You are saying "IF" changes would have been made it would still be going strong. Both are impossible to claim since neither of them happened.
I'm just going off how much SSE has been plussed since 1993 and knowing the same plan was proposed for Horizons.

Not to mention it had a THC of a zillion with its ride system, hence the relatively absent exterior lines. Something that can't be said for its inefficent replacement. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Mission Space, but it does feel like an unfinished minor attraction whilst looking for the main one.

Goofyernmost

I'm just going off how much SSE has been plussed since 1993 and knowing the same plan was proposed for Horizons.

Not to mention it had a THC of a zillion with its ride system, hence the relatively absent exterior lines. Something that can't be said for its inefficent replacement. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Mission Space, but it does feel like an unfinished minor attraction whilst looking for the main one.
I know it sounds like I'm arguing with you Martin, but I'm really just remembering things. I remember when Horizon first opened, in spite of it's ability to eat crowds, there was still a line running back and forth in the lobby. It wasn't until later years that you could just walk on. Something else was that you would see cars that were empty in front or in back. That didn't happen early on.

I'm one that liked Horizons for the most part. I hated to see it go. Mostly because there was no reason for it to be taken out...there was room to build MS without removing Horizons. Mission: Space got a bum rap early on and the tuning it down by adding the green side, caused it to have artificially long lines depending which one was most popular on any given day. Horizons was a fun, gentle ride. MS was exciting and gave the feeling of being part of it and controlling some of our situations. If it hadn't had that pesky people are dying on it situation, I think it would have been a blockbuster. Its unfortunate beginning scared a lot of people away and I don't think it has recovered yet.

FigmentJedi

Yes but Figment has to much nostalgia connected to him. He needs to go.
And while we're at it, let's tear out the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, It's a Small World, Country Bears, the Tiki Room, the Peoplemover, Space Mountain, and everything else that started out in the parks.

Those have a ton of nostalgia connected to them too and it's not like any park-original characters are real Disney characters, just read Kingdom Keepers where the Country Bears and Small World dolls are just mindless robotic mooks for the Magic Hologram Disney Villains and the Disco Yeti is just a shell for the Chernabog Hologram monster to inhabit. do I hate those books.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom