Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

I just need to know that Figment is not going anywhere. As much as the current ride saddens me, at least Figment remains. Someone just please tell me Figment is staying!!!! Also, can anyone chime in on when we may hear any news of this officially?

SMPTE MOUSE

Hello NoChesterHester,

Thank you for starting this string. I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. 3D is bigger than ever, and will be for the next decade. In fact, the art of Stereography and Stereographic Projection has reached a new era. I think the Imagination pavilion is the perfect place for a new 3D/4D experience.

First of all, Universal Studios has banked some big bucks on 3D. Spiderman, Harry Potter and Transformers,the newest ride, are all 3D attractions. Harry Potter took this to a whole new level by bringing in passive 3D along with dynamic ride movement to raise the bar. Spiderman and Transformers, also utilize movement to compliment the 3D experience, thus making all of these 4D. Universal has done a stellar job of mixing the best of all WDW attraction models - Story & Theater attractions.

Captain EO was actually the first 4D experience, bringing elements "out" of the screen. At that time in the 80's it was revolutionary. Captain EO was, until recently, the most expensive film per-finished-minute ever shot. At over 1 million per finished minute. However, Disney has come a long way since then. At the time, Disney didn't own the recording rights to Michael Jackson, and Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas and such. They had to pay some series cash to get that mega team to barf out Captain EO. I can only quote Rick James when I say "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

After captain EO HISTKs took over and was a fraction of what it cost to make Captain EO. I was surprised when Disney brought it back but I guess they felt like it could draw some people in again.

I agree with you about the idea of reinstalling the old attraction. I think the building is huge, certainly large enough to house a new attraction on a grand scale. I personally love the look of the building as well. to me the Imagination pavilion is just as iconic to Epcot as Spaceship Earth.

In any measure, I think a new 4D experience would be a great move for Disney. It's cost effective, attractive to millions of people, and easily updatable. Who knows, maybe a new Figment is on the horizon.

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy People!

JP

I've read a lot of thoughtful posts on here tonight. My feelings....

The novelty of 3D has worn off. In the age of EO and HISTA it was next to impossible to see a high quality 3d movie at your local theater. No longer. We have even reached the saturation point where it is so commonplace that viewers are choosing to forgo the 3D viewings. Just look at the plummeting 3d viewership of movies in theaters.

So... If another 3D movie were produced for the magic eye... I would find that to be a waste of resources that I would rather be spent on the ride or the exhibits.

I personally can't see them tearing the building down unless there is really good reason to. It is well sited and it could be freshened up. That being said, while I have a long nostalgic love for the attraction and the laminar flow fountains out front I find the building itself to be quite dated. Late 70's early 80's space frame and heavy mullion curtain wall dominate my opinion of the structure itself. It reminds me of a soaring space frame atrium at a local mall... One that just closed down. It was pretty popular at the time. (You see it too, it is ok to admit it.)

As far as the ride renovation - Imagination needs to look forward. I can't imagine a scenario where reinstalling the original ride would be anything but a disaster except for a select couple people that probably all read this message board. I can all but guarantee it would be a disservice to the stellar original.

A new vision is needed and looking backwards just rarely works well. Times have changed and we need something that reflects our modern culture and what a positive message Imagination can pose in these cynical times.

Taylor

How many of the guests that don't frequent these
fan sites actually ride the current version of JIY or even know what it is?

Now how many new riders will JIY get and new visitors the Imagination pavilion will get if there is P&F presence in the ride?

I'm not saying I'm supporting the possibility of this happening because I don't, it just won't be the worst thing to happen if it does.

SMPTE MOUSE

I rather like the idea of a Monsters land at DCA. There is already the awesome Monster's INC ride. I think they have a pretty successful franchise on their hands and should do something with it. a few costumes, some colorful paint and you've got yourself a winner in the eyes of the public. Besides, how many of you can honestly say you wouldn't love to have your photo taken with Roz?!

roz.jpg

I think the DCA executives noticed Cars Land and decided to Pixar-fy DCA...

Wikkler

Or better yet...ground the little snot so he stays home and we don't have to go out and find him. Oh, and BTW...all of EPCOT used to be a special place, but, those days are gone for the most part. The great unwashed want to know why it's so boring at Epcot..it's like watching the discovery channel. They want to be entertained and see some regular Disney stuff. To be completely honest, Living Seas, the initial ride through the middle of the tank was basically boring, boring, boring and incredibly short, even to someone that appreciates the purpose of EPCOT. At least the Nemo connection gave us something reliable to see.:)

Soundslike something my son would enjoy...

Magenta Panther

IF the Imagination pavilion gets a new Dreamfinder/Figment attraction, Dreamfinder should be played by Neil Patrick Harris.

That is all.

I'm sorry, but NO. Why some people make a fuss over him, I can't imagine. He was the most unbearable part of that Smurfs film I was forced to see with my nephew...and that is saying something. :depressed:

Goofyernmost

And yet you guys wonder why the other parks are transforming into Magic Kingdoms...
I think you can tell by my post that I do not wonder why. The public has demanded it. The public is stupid and Disney doesn't have the kahunas to stand firm and say that Epcot is a special place and not everyone will like it. But those that do...truly like it. Sadly, there are not enough of us to support it by ourselves, so the majority speaks and they get their own way because when all is said and done, Disney is a business and must be self supporting. An unfortunate fact of life.:depressed::arghh::greedy:

ToTBellHop

I think you can tell by my post that I do not wonder why. The public has demanded it. The public is stupid and Disney doesn't have the kahunas to stand firm and say that Epcot is a special place and not everyone will like it. But those that do...truly like it. Sadly, there are not enough of us to support it by ourselves, so the majority speaks and they get their own way because when all is said and done, Disney is a business and must be self supporting. An unfortunate fact of life.:depressed::arghh::greedy:
I think you mean cojones. And no, none of those.

Wikkler

I don't like it because it's so cheezy. Not for one moment do I feel like I'm under the sea with Nemo - I just see a bunch of projections on screens. Big deal. Also, those seagulls outside the pavilion seem like they're broken at least half the time. :p

I did during the finale because it wasn't boarded up...

RSoxNo1

How would everyone feel if the building actually were demolished and a new building put in its place?
The Future World West buildings look so much better than the original Future World East buildings. As much as I loved Horizons, from a strict facade standpoint, Mission: SPACE is substantially better. I would be disappointed if they leveled the Imagination Pavilion.

They will not demolish this building, since Imagination is where all the 3-D glasses used on Property are taken to be cleaned. This includes Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, E-O, It's tough to be a bug, muppets, and Spaceship Earth Post-show. I wonder if the year long close down will affect the cleaning operations for the 3-d Glasses, and would it be moved to a new location??

NoChesterHester

The Future World West buildings look so much better than the original Future World East buildings. As much as I loved Horizons, from a strict facade standpoint, Mission: SPACE is substantially better. I would be disappointed if they leveled the Imagination Pavilion.

My reaction to the demolition would be 100% based on what replaced it.

Lets just say... Glass pyramids could be done better than what is there now.

aladdin2007

They will not demolish this building, since Imagination is where all the 3-D glasses used on Property are taken to be cleaned. This includes Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, E-O, It's tough to be a bug, muppets, and Spaceship Earth Post-show. I wonder if the year long close down will affect the cleaning operations for the 3-d Glasses, and would it be moved to a new location??

They wouldnt NOT demolish it just because thats where that fascility is located, that can always be changed, reconfigured or moved all together. But I dont think demolishing it is in the plan anyway from the sound of things in these threads.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You're talking about some commercial cleaning equipment that can be installed just about anywhere.. including being moved. This would be a trivial issue. Smaller setups could be distributed around property anyways.

Are you sure they are all brought here? That seems wasteful to truck around property all the time.

RSoxNo1

I've read a lot of thoughtful posts on here tonight. My feelings....

The novelty of 3D has worn off. In the age of EO and HISTA it was next to impossible to see a high quality 3d movie at your local theater. No longer. We have even reached the saturation point where it is so commonplace that viewers are choosing to forgo the 3D viewings. Just look at the plummeting 3d viewership of movies in theaters.

So... If another 3D movie were produced for the magic eye... I would find that to be a waste of resources that I would rather be spent on the ride or the exhibits.

I personally can't see them tearing the building down unless there is really good reason to. It is well sited and it could be freshened up. That being said, while I have a long nostalgic love for the attraction and the laminar flow fountains out front I find the building itself to be quite dated. Late 70's early 80's space frame and heavy mullion curtain wall dominate my opinion of the structure itself. It reminds me of a soaring space frame atrium at a local mall... One that just closed down. It was pretty popular at the time. (You see it too, it is ok to admit it.)

As far as the ride renovation - Imagination needs to look forward. I can't imagine a scenario where reinstalling the original ride would be anything but a disaster except for a select couple people that probably all read this message board. I can all but guarantee it would be a disservice to the stellar original.

A new vision is needed and looking backwards just rarely works well. Times have changed and we need something that reflects our modern culture and what a positive message Imagination can pose in these cynical times.
That's a thought process that has been bubbling up for a little while now. 3D isn't as special as it used to be. An additional gimmick needs to be rolled in (as part of a ride like Star Tours, Spiderman or Transformers) or with additional components (like Terminator 3D).

I'd be interested to see if they just shutter the theater all together instead of trying to find a suitable option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom