Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

Oddysey

Fake.

And they'd better paint everything pale purples again.

Thanks for clarifying of the track heading to the wall. I assumed it was fake, but did not want to state it as fact if it were not true. The only reason I knew about the track still being in place is because of your Ultimate Tribute to the attraction. That being said, I really appreciate the work that you put into those videos. It is the next best thing to having experienced the original EPCOT. My wife never got to see the original EPCOT, and I have shown her many of your videos so that she can loosely experience all that she missed. Great work!!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I seriously doubt Disney would go through the massive expense of tearing down the building for a new attraction unless it was some MAJOR franchise and MAJOR ride system.

Horizons was the only building ever fully demolished at WDW to make room for a new building (not counting new fantasyland)

Next Big Thing

Exactly.

Or they've got a "source" who is a shift supervisor at Imagination (they wear a radio, so they must be cool!) who read the latest rumors on the Internet and then regurgitated it back to them after talking about it a lot in the break room.

And since there is very little actual information in that blog, and a thin veneer of faux insider scoop over what amounts to a web-educated guess, I'm betting the information from their "source" came from this very thread started by @WDW1974 .
lol, don't believe they're supervisors just because they wear a radio. They may be one of the leads for the shifts, but many times they'll let almost anyone wear one.

Goofyernmost

Anything but P & F!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:
I'm going to wade in here and say that in spite of being 65 years old, I think that P&F could work in there. It is a show about massive imagination and ability to do or build anything. And also well written. It would be no more of a risk using a property that is already known then it was originally using the Dreamfinder and Figment.

I also do not think the even if they decided to redo the old Imagination, that it would have anymore lasting power then P&F would have. I stated before and I'll state again, we all were tired of the old ride before it was closed down. It was like by us, but we didn't feel a need to see it every trip. The reason is after you left the circular part with D & F...it got quite dull. We are just not remembering that because the beginning was so spectacular. By the time they closed it it was also a walk on. As I said, we didn't realize what we had til it was gone. However, we are still a very small portion of the crowd.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I seriously doubt Disney would go through the massive expense of tearing down the building for a new attraction unless it was some MAJOR franchise and MAJOR ride system.

Horizons was the only building ever fully demolished at WDW to make room for a new building (not counting new fantasyland)
And Horizons was only pulled because someone else paid for it.

I should clarify, though the track bed is still under Imageworks, I can't verify if the track still is. Though I'd doubt it, the fact the rotating mechanism was left intact for Flight into the Imagination points to it being cheaper to leave things to rot in place unless they're needed to be removed.

NoChesterHester

True.

Goofyernmost

Is the rumor true that Imagination is being redone with a Phineas & Ferb overlay?

If so I'm not setting foot into Epcot during its existance and if anyone thinks im bluffing I did not step foot in Disneyland from 1998-2005 because of Tomorrowland '98 until they finally got rid of that overlay.
I admire your determination, but really, no one even noticed. You were and are the one that misses out. I don't think Phineas & Ferb are going in there but even if they did. Your absence is not going to mean anything to anybody. You, on the other hand might not have given something a chance and predetermined that what is in there is not worthy of seeing. Really, if anyone is continuing to want the original back (not sure you are), it is never going to happen. Never! They're just setting themselves up for disappointment.

If they did replace it with P & F, you may be right and that it will suck, but, I for one, am not willing to predetermine that. I will see it and if it sucks I will be in the forefront of letting everyone know. Until then, I just don't know.

willtravel

What about disney turning it into a tron dark ride? That fits the look and feel of future world and the imagination/future concept. (And they are working on another tron sequel, I've heard... ) Who cares if the movies are unpopular? Create an ip starting with an awesome ride, to help build up interest in the brand, ala pirates of Carib.

Merchandise, mini light cycles etc would be easy to tie in, I'm sure.... Maybe make an end of line club with an outdoor elevator to access it, with alcohol and dance music atmosphere... As part of an immersive tron area, like they're doing with Star Wars land and the cantina.... Ahhhh I wish disney had more imagination.

:banghead:

doctornick

I just would like Figment to live on in one form or another and some incarnation of one little spark to be included in the new pavillion... How credible is this annocement?

Agreed. I don't think they need to recreate the original ride or even try to mimic it, but I would like to see Figment and "One Little Spark" be a part of any future Imagination ride.

doctornick

How would everyone feel if the building actually were demolished and a new building put in its place?

Conceptually I don't have a problem with it, but I'd just as soon see TDO use the existing structure (both ride and theater) and use the money to make it special than to spend the money demolishing and rebuilding. If they want to tear something down to build, why not start with Wonders of Life?

Yensid1974

My feelings on this basically come down to this. They should do one of two things... either just bring back the original attraction as best they can, or strip what is in there out and do something totally new with Figment/Dreamfinder and go from there. Oh, either way the upstairs NEEDS to come back better than ever.

Figments Friend

How would everyone feel if the building actually were demolished and a new building put in its place?

I personally see no real need for that.
Unless the building has some serious issues internally, or some utterly amazing new concept requires the building of a major new space, it does not make much sense to me to demo the Imagination building itself.

Besides, they had better NOT demo the building.
I like hearing that original loop music in the restrooms outside around the corner!
:D

No ...seriously now, to demo the building would be depressing.
Watching the hulk of Horizons ripped apart in plain view was painful enough...i don*t know about others, but i would rather not go through that again.

The Imagination Pavilion building is quite attractive...even more so when it was in it*s original form.
It still is a unique structure and has a lot of potential development spots.
It would be rather stupid to level it...in my opinion.

The attraction is what needs replacing....and something needs to happen upstairs again.
Repaint the building...get rid of the *Kodak Colors* and let us see something nice. I always liked the original light blue/pastel purple color palette.

Bringing some life back to the Magic Gardens would be a nice plus too..right now it is sadly a somewhat dead space. I remember back in the day it being rather lively and also a nice retreat. The shuttered shop/former M&G and scaled back plantings make it a rather *empty* spot now.
Sure..the *Leap Frog* fountains are still great and popular after all these years...but the area used to have a lot more to offer.

Goofyernmost

Sure..the *Leap Frog* fountains are still great and popular after all these years...but the area used to have a lot more to offer.
The last time I was there, January 2013, the fountains were not aimed properly. They were no longer leaping across to the spot made to receive it. Some missed the mark by a pretty good amount. I'm hoping it has been fixed since then...have to say it truly disappointed me on that visit.

PeterAlt

I dont know if I'd go that far,they've been known to do dumb things:
2542043884_aa75bbb31d_m.jpg

Horizons_Full_767.jpg

stitchsgreatescape.jpg
Poor, poor, poor Horizons! R.I.P. old friend!

aladdin2007

Poor, poor, poor Horizons! R.I.P. old friend!

Those horizons pics make me want to weep. When I think of how Epcot has been ransacked and stripped and ..uggggg....oh well heres hoping theres new imagination come 2015. Oh and yes the outside of imagination use to be such a lively place with fountains, gardens, and life. Now a shell of what it once was, I hope theres going to be some new restoration not just inside but bring back the life and fantasy that extended outside as well that made a complete pavilion package, not the dead barren emptyness it is today; upstairs, downstairs, and outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom