Two Spirited Quickees...Imagination closing

awoogala

You guys are crazy if you expect the old ride back. Anyways, who would want that? I get the nostalgia, but, it really isn't going to hold up too well to today's audience. Sorry, we aren't the main market. My only crazy wish is for a new ride system.

I think it would hold up. My kids adore Figment, but could not understand why I was so sad when they first rode it 5 years ago. Found the old youtube vido of the "real" ride and showed them, and they were amazed, and asked why they changed it, and could we go to Disneyland to ride it? lol

Magenta Panther

Please no phineas and ferb. Please...
As for the old ride, let's be realistic. We all loved the original but wouldn't it be amazing to put something brand new.. With tons of "Imagination" throughout?? Lets have something brand spanking new.

That would be great BUT I would like to see Dreamfinder and Figment as part of it. They're original and unique to Epcot, and they could give the park character, something it sorely lacks. Right now it'd just a hodge-podge of this and that, and not much of it is very interesting or fun.

MerlinTheGoat

Yes, I did and I liked it a lot, but, like I just posted before I saw your reply, just looking for something totally new. If I want the old ride, I can watch @marni1971's videos.
If the choice was between-

1- Original ride
2- New ride that isn't as good as the original

I'd absolutely take choice #1. While it's completely possible that Imagination 4.0 could end up being far superior to 2.0 or 3.0, I cannot fathom anything new they come up with beating the original version (let alone with a 1 year time limit). Again it wouldn't take much to surpass the current version as it's a disgrace, but it's highly unlikely that they're going to come up with a ride that is even close to as good as the original. I would readily and happily take a new ride if it DID end up surpassing even the original (and very much glad to say I was wrong if it does). But it's almost certain that this just isn't going to happen without an absolutely staggering level of "spirited change" happening internally at the Disney company (change encompassing leadership and the creative teams, plus everything else).

Communicore

I doubt the old ride will be back, as kids nowadays think that would be "the suck." Of course I was a kid during the heyday of this "theme park" and I absolutely loved it. Are they going to implode it like Horizons? I say might as well!!

This reminds me of the time I was in that abomination of a shop where the "Image Works" is and a family saw the Figment plush and the kid asked the mom, "Where is this character from" and the mom just said, "Oh, from Dr. Seuss, definitely."

Disvillain63

No P & F please!!!! If the ride becomes centered on P & F, then sadly it will probably be our last time to ride this October...we have never been P & F fans.

We prefer the original ride & song with the ImageWorks upstairs...not sure if we'll ever see that again, but it would be nice. Also, we miss being able to Meet & Greet Dreamfinder and Figment; this usually took place by the jumping fountains. We wouldn't mind Meet & Greets with Dreamfinder and a Figment character...not just a puppet.

NowInc

..you guys do realize that its impossible to bring the old ride back..right? The first re-do pretty much removed or damaged essential structures that were essential for its operation.

MerlinTheGoat

I doubt the old ride will be back, as kids nowadays think that would be "the suck." Of course I was a kid during the heyday of this "theme park" and I absolutely loved it. Are they going to implode it like Horizons? I say might as well!!
I believe WDW1974 said they're keeping the physical building, so it's not being knocked down completely like Horizons. We don't know exactly how much of the ride itself is going to be changed at this point.

I think kids today would still love Imagination 1.0. At least infinitely more than the current ride.

alphac2005

Yes, I did and I liked it a lot, but, like I just posted before I saw your reply, just looking for something totally new. If I want the old ride, I can watch @marni1971's videos.

If they are going to do a third incarnation of Figment, it needs to be of high quality like the original, if not, move onto something new. I know that I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't a fan of Dreamfinder and found the opening of the original attraction to be too long and labored as a child, yet loved the rest of the attraction. Figment was a wonderful, dynamic, and original character. The present incarnation is nothing short of a joke.

I know that I've posted before about this and many others have as well, but the odds that this won't be a tie-in to an existing character property (e.g. Disney Channel, Pixar, etc.) is probably about zero based on their Iger era track record.

It's really sad that our expectations have become so low and the odds of anything short of high quality, not even classic attraction quality, seems to be close to nil is a sad statement of current affairs with the company's mentality. I love the original EPCOT Center, always will, but visiting today seems like going to view a rotting corpse or attending a funeral.

rodmansju

based on timelines, i never got to enjoy the true ride. first time i was on it was in 2003. and we ride it every time we go.

first time i took my daughter on it, she got scared @ the dark spots with the wind (she was 3 or 4 i think). but we couldn't leave without a figment.

heck, I knew about figment when i was a kid, and that was about 15-20 years before i ever actually made it to disney on my own.

i don't pay $$ to go to disney for any one specific IP, and while I do enjoy P&F, the popularity in my house today is not where it was 2 years ago--and my oldest kids are only 7. there is something to be said for creating (or in this case, keeping) a park attraction specific IP and running with it. we go again in a couple weeks, and the kids already have said we have to go on Figment.

Uncle Orville

I love figment but I'm not as attached to it as most people because I'm only 15 so I never experienced the original ride. I'm fine with p and f as long as they keep the pyramids. A story about p an f. The first show they previewd for it was on the day before we left for disney and that was the last show I had watched, so I went to bed watching p and f. Ever since then I kind of liked it because of how it relates to disney for me. If they made a rollercoaster I would ride it, but anything else wouldn't make me ride it. That's the only reason I would support that ride.

NowInc

And there's nothing saying they couldn't start back at square one.

That would require them to demolish the entire building and rebuild it...as the "circle room" structures are a big part of the original ride that were made pretty much un-useable..and those are part of the foundation.

Prototype82

I can't complain here. Imagination and Energy are the only two pavilions keeping Epcot feel dated and stuck in the 1990s. They're not even original attractions. They're simply the result of bad refurbs. When you look at Future World now, it's actually in pretty darn good condition. Mission Space, SSE's Project Tomorrow, and Test Track manage to look state of the art and relevant, the Land is in great shape... If they could tackle Imagination and Energy, things would be perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom