Two coasts: One very different world

WDW1974

Original Poster
His point is not valid in this case. There is no greater reaction to Casey's than Carsland. Even the post count between the two topics in their appropriate boards are about the same (albeit spread across a few threads in the DLR section).

Except that is NOT true, jake. My OP was not about a 'greater' reaction. I have been very clear about my point. I try and write to an 8th-grade level in FLA public schools here.

That's your opinion one the mods seem to share at the moment. I personally don't care where is goes, but let's not pretend is has news or rumors. This thread is the equivalent of the news reporting about itself.

Again, I don't believe it. Your goal is to have the thread moved or closed because you don't like the points I bring up. Why not just man up and say it. I never have trouble saying what's on my mind and I can't stand passive aggressive BS.

This thread is about as newsworthy as it gets. I'm not going to start discussing the relative 'merits' of other threads that wind up in this forum. But WDW's 'big' expansion dropping some more fences and exposing more of the big fra... I mean big project at the same time Disney completes work on its multi-billion 5-year plus DCA Extreme Makeover is about the ONLY real news in the Disney UNIverse today.

Discussing the reasons why CA gets billions and FLA gets children's fountains couldn't be more newsworthy, unless someone is trying to censor what is real news.

Bottom line is '74 floated a hypothesis and it is incorrect. He didn't overstate his case. He clearly stated it and he's wrong. It's really no big deal other than the fact people are flocking in here to prop up his point of view, which is wrong at the time he posted it (I have no idea now as I'm not going to spend the night counting twitter post and refreshing web pages).

No, you have mistated my positions multiple times and got a few others on your small bandwagon. I have the feeling that you have an alert set up to my posts, so no danger of you missing this.

wannab@dis

Discussing the reasons why CA gets billions and FLA gets children's fountains couldn't be more newsworthy, unless someone is trying to censor what is real news.

So, if the construction schedules had been different and CA opened up just the little Luigi's tire carnival ride and FL opened up the entire FLE, would you have been so quick to try to create some controversy?

WDW1974

Original Poster
74----

You're one of the main reasons I visit this site. I love your posts and agree with most of them.

But I gotta call out your comparison.

Thanks for the kind words. ... But I wasn't making a comparison of the two projects at this stage, just the attention lavished on some minor feature that I feel doesn't even belong in a Disney park. ...Anyone know who was responsible for the first such 'water play area' in a Disney park (not an H2O one)?

Wait another year (or 2) and compare the entirely of FLE with Carsland, not just a small element that coincidentally was finished by contractors the same week. (Sure, Carsland will likely win by a mile. But at least it's a fair fight.)

But also one or two years from now, we need to keep in mind the investments being made to the most popular theme park in the world compared to Disney's most troubled park (and the issue of being a true "attraction" to get more people thru the turnstile versus "added capacity" to provide breathing room for the people who keep flooding in despite no major additions since 1992)

That's the great thing about discussion boards. You don't have to wait. And we already know every component of this project. The biggest aspect is the C+ (at best) Ticket Mermaid ride that I have been on a dozen times in Anaheim since last fall ... and it really isn't very good. It's plastic and feels cheap. And that's the biggest part of this expansion, which I still believe will improve the MK. But compare it to Cars Land ... um, no. I don't think so. CL and BVS represent just a small piece of what Disney is capable of when it really tries ... it is by all reports (and I've gotten some from people I value more than online fanbois) OLC quality work. And that is the best in the world ... or at least the best I've ever seen (if you toss Potterland in there too!)

A more fair comparison would be investments at DCA versus WDW's half-day parks (take your pick of DHS or AK): How does Carsland stack up to a Yeti-free Everest or....is RnRC really the newest major addition to DHS???

THAT, to me, is the outrage of it all. Say what you want about people flocking to a stale MK. You still get more bang for your buck there than most of the other WDW parks. I'm more troubled that TDO has manipulated ticket pricing to encourage the sale of multi-day tickets, even though the offerings at 2 of the parks are not even worth the "bulk discount" price, and certainly not the full single-day price.

A kids play fountain is not the issue. But, as you do effectively point out, there ARE issues.

All I can say to that is simply you're right, at least if you're speaking attraction count. I won't dare point out how poorly the MK stacks up to DL in this regard.

The thing is, though, I am so tired of what I see at the MK that I'd take ANY Disney park worldwide over it, except for the ugly DSP. The MK is living off its first 25 years, not its last 15. On my last visit in the spring, I actually got far more out of my visit to TPFKaTD-MGMS than I did the MK.

HMF

So, if the construction schedules had been different and CA opened up just the little Luigi's tire carnival ride and FL opened up the entire FLE, would you have been so quick to try to create some controversy?
As nice as the new Fantasyland may be , it cannot compare to what is happening in California right now. Also keep in mind Disneyland updated their Fantasyland before probably more than 50% of the people on this site were born,. (1983) estimating on my part.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't understand why they didn't just put the actual Casey Jr. Train ride in the park. Are they expecting the parents to just sit and watch their kiddies play in this...fountain? I'm not exactly sure what it is. There's all this space, yet it's not used. Doesn't make much sense to me.

They didn't do that because they already have one kiddie coaster (Barnstormer) and a second one going on (SWDMT ... wait, do we even know what the official name will be?) ... The space could have been better utilized and in a way that appeals to all guests or most and not simply lazy parents and their young kids.

Regarding Mater, what exactly do you mean you spoke with him? I'm curious lol.

I was put on the phone with someone who is 'very, very close' to Mater about two hours ago. That's what I meant! :)

HMF

Thanks for the kind words. ... But I wasn't making a comparison of the two projects at this stage, just the attention lavished on some minor feature that I feel doesn't even belong in a Disney park. ...Anyone know who was responsible for the first such 'water play area' in a Disney park (not an H2O one)?
I personally don't know why they keep building these Water Play Areas. They usually equal trouble. surprised Tomorrowland 98 didn't teach them that.

jakeman

Again, I don't believe it. Your goal is to have the thread moved or closed because you don't like the points I bring up. Why not just man up and say it. I never have trouble saying what's on my mind and I can't stand passive aggressive BS.
If I really thought your thread should be moved, I would have just reported it.

I really don't care where it goes.
Discussing is different than reporting. The "news" you had was already reported in the FLE sub board and in the DLR borad. You wanted to discuss it. However, you are savvy enough to know that it won't get as many hits in the Discussion section of the forums so you stuck it here.

You are quite paranoid.

You asserted in your original post that WDW does not get the funding that DLR gets because the fan base reacts to something like Casey's with an equal reaction to something like Carsland.

The first part of your hypothesis is establishing if the WDW fan base reacted that way. Which they did not. Therefore that could potentially call into question the rest of your hypothesis (even though in my opinion it doesn't). It's the simple scientific method. You present a scenario. I vetted it and found it to be flawed.

If your topic was that the fan base for WDW is a contributing factor because of their general reactions to various projects other than a direct comparison of Casey's and Carsland, now that would have been an interesting discussion. If that's what you are ultimately asserting then let me chime in that the polarization of the fan base I believe is contributing complacency. The social media write offs aren't critical enough even though they have the mouse's ear and folks on the other end of the spectrum are too critical and have become a joke.

No, you have mistated my positions multiple times and got a few others on your small bandwagon. I have the feeling that you have an alert set up to my posts, so no danger of you missing this.
I don't understand how I could have misstated your position when I quoted you directly multiple times.

Regarding your continued paranoia that I have a alert set up, one of the new features of this board is that whenever there is a post in a thread you have posted in or visited a bit, you do in fact get an alert. It has nothing to do with you personally. I find it to be a very useful feature as I'm perusing other sections of the board.

jakeman

If your topic was that the fan base for WDW is a contributing factor because of their general reactions to various projects other than a direct comparison of Casey's and Carsland, now that would have been an interesting discussion. If that's what you are ultimately asserting then let me chime in that the polarization of the fan base I believe is contributing complacency. The social media write offs aren't critical enough even though they have the mouse's ear and folks on the other end of the spectrum are too critical and have become a joke.
I hate quoting myself, but I wanted to make a significant change and didn't want it to get lost with someone maybe quoting the edit.

I believe there are two things that could happen externally to affect change at WDW:

1. Moderation of the fan base. The polarization is now absolutely ridiculous. There has to be ground given on either side. However, to do this I think the second thing needs to happen concurrently:

2. Mobilization of DVC and the fan base together. There needs to be a concerted effort to constructively push back on Disney and social media. A large part of this involves something that the fans base doesn't do very well: picking your battles. For example: Yeti needs to be fix. At the same time perhaps not have the eyeball exploding reaction to the HM queue, the SSE decent or anything else that the general public isn't really going to notice.

Regarding DVC, I for one am surprised that there isn't a more robust DVC community on the web, especially given how lackluster the official DVC website is. DVC is WDW's DLR's annual passholders. DVC member in general will be turned off by the vehement reactions the fan base has to almost everything, but if the fan base can moderate and bring a contingent of DVC'er into the fold then external pressure similar to what happened at DLR could occur.

Otherwise, we will just have to wait for internal changes within TWDC.

Ignohippo

The fact of the matter is, CircusLand is a way for TDO to go cheap while the budget goes to the SWMT. And you know what? That's exactly what it looks like.

Yes, it will be a nicely themed area, but it's really not much more than a couple recycled attractions and a couple of play areas that are equivalent to the ones at your local mall. The water play area at our zoo is actually better than what was rolled out at MK today.

This is what you get for creating an entire area around a carnival spinner and a tent gift shop. Their priorities for this area have been backwards since the very beginning.

The MK is desperately hurting for real estate. So what do they do? They take the best expansion area in the park and put a spinner and a mediocre water play area on it.

Ignohippo

'74, I get exactly what you're trying to say. Some others might want to get tied up in a debate about semantics, but your point is incredibly valid.

I would take it one step further and compare the entire FLE to what is happening out west. In the end, the only E-ticket WDW is getting is a clone from DCA. Otherwise, we're getting a restaurant, a nicely themed kiddie coaster, a few shops, and a kiddie play area.

And the really frustrating thing is that it doesn't have to be WDW v DL. DCA needed this refurb and it's great they're getting it.

It should really be about the sacks of money TDO continually leaves on the floor. As I've said before, there's never been a better example of stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. UNI is seeing a 30% jump in attendance; DCA will more than likely see the same or more.

Spending on new offerings at WDW not only helps the parks, but, more than any other resort they have, the benefits trickle down across the board from hotels to restaurants to shops, etc.

Some fanbois may not want to see it, but as someone who loves the Disney Company, it's appalling to see so many great opportunities being completely wasted.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If I really thought your thread should be moved, I would have just reported it.

I really don't care where it goes.

Fine. Then why discuss it? It just gives people a chance to do just that ... I really do know something about what's newsworthy.

Discussing is different than reporting. The "news" you had was already reported in the FLE sub board and in the DLR borad. You wanted to discuss it. However, you are savvy enough to know that it won't get as many hits in the Discussion section of the forums so you stuck it here.

Are you suggesting that every thread here is 'reporting' news rather than discussing it?
And, sure, I realize that the folks here largely all congregate on 2-3 boards and often they stay on them and don't ever pop into other places. This IS where real news and issues are discussed. I don't get paid for the hits, so I'd venture to say it's best for the site if more eyes are reading. I have watched more than one online forum (both Disney and completely different) wither and die.

You are quite paranoid.

Have you ever gotten death threats because of things you've written on Disney fan forums? Have you ever had vile hate-filled messages sent to your email because of things you've written on Disney fan forums? have you had your personal information used by social media whores to try and gain more favor from Disney? Have you had folks accuse you of online stalking because you simply responded to posts on Disney fan forums? Have you had family members get stalked by phone because of things you've written?

Well, that's just a bit of my world. So, yeah, I am paranoid. I admit that.

You asserted in your original post that WDW does not get the funding that DLR gets because the fan base reacts to something like Casey's with an equal reaction to something like Carsland.

The first part of your hypothesis is establishing if the WDW fan base reacted that way. Which they did not. Therefore that could potentially call into question the rest of your hypothesis (even though in my opinion it doesn't). It's the simple scientific method. You present a scenario. I vetted it and found it to be flawed.

I don't want to go back and forth on this point. I don't see how you can scientifically prove anything ... and moreso why you would want to. We both know my overriding point was that WDW's alleged fans are one of the biggest reasons for the resort's stagnation ... and without name-dropping, I was told WDI views the situation largely the same way by a very well-known Imagineer last year. So ... let's say I am 100% wrong and no one was talking about the fountains of Storybook Circus today, it still doesn't change the fact that fans in Anaheim help ensure the Disney Legacy continues while fans of WDW largely ensure that the Legacy becomes one of a cheaper, yeah ... here it comes ... Walmarted product.

Then let's have that discussion ... right now (well not now, maybe over the weekend). I don't believe the polarization as you term it is behind the issues, but it doesn't help. But you have people who are entrenched in their views. And some of us do know a bit more about what is happening than others. Disney is using the social media whores to shout down people that you'd likely say are too critical, folks like myself and others here. If you don't think they've become so important to Disney, I'd say you simply are mistaken. They have had a huge presence in Anaheim this week. And Disney firmly believes they are the place to get its message out. The company pays some big bucks to top 'social media consultants' and tells them things that will make sure the big checks keep coming. That isn't telling Disney to focus on print outlets or broadcasters ... it's telling them that mommy bloggers are more important than the Washington Post or CBS.

Ignohippo

I hate quoting myself, but I wanted to make a significant change and didn't want it to get lost with someone maybe quoting the edit.

I believe there are two things that could happen externally to affect change at WDW:

1. Moderation of the fan base. The polarization is now absolutely ridiculous. There has to be ground given on either side. However, to do this I think the second thing needs to happen concurrently:

2. Mobilization of DVC and the fan base together. There needs to be a concerted effort to constructively push back on Disney and social media. A large part of this involves something that the fans base doesn't do very well: picking your battles. For example: Yeti needs to be fix. At the same time perhaps not have the eyeball exploding reaction to the HM queue, the SSE decent or anything else that the general public isn't really going to notice.

Regarding DVC, I for one am surprised that there isn't a more robust DVC community on the web, especially given how lackluster the official DVC website is. DVC is WDW's DLR's annual passholders. DVC member in general will be turned off by the vehement reactions the fan base has to almost everything, but if the fan base can moderate and bring a contingent of DVC'er into the fold then external pressure similar to what happened at DLR could occur.

Otherwise, we will just have to wait for internal changes within TWDC.

Not so much. I don't think it'll be one event or take an uprising before TWDC sees the error if it's ways. I believe they'll see a nice little influx in vacationers from the FLE and Art of Animation Resort over the next year and a half or so, but after that, the trends are going to start going south.

Hopefully, TWDC will see the increases at DCA and UNI and will force TDO to improve the parks.

It won't take much for the DVC bubble to burst. It's like the stock market and once people start feeling they aren't getting their money's worth, the points are going to start declining sharply in value. TWDC needs to be seriously concerned that in 5 years people don't start thinking "gee, this was great a few years ago, but I'm bored with WDW and the kids are grown. Let's sell our stake and get out."

As for the APers, there's too much competition in this area to stick with parks that don't upgrade significantly from year to year. We've been running on fumes for the last few years waiting for the FLE. Once that's done, there really isn't enough to keep us coming back (especially since there are so many other NEW things to experience at other parks). We're Disney geeks in this family, but our days as Annual Passholders are quickly coming to an end. I can only imagine that the are many others who feel the same way.

Jimmy Thick

Have you ever gotten death threats because of things you've written on Disney fan forums? Have you ever had vile hate-filled messages sent to your email because of things you've written on Disney fan forums? have you had your personal information used by social media whores to try and gain more favor from Disney? Have you had folks accuse you of online stalking because you simply responded to posts on Disney fan forums? Have you had family members get stalked by phone because of things you've written?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Jimmy Thick- Best laugh ever from this board, EVER!!!

jakeman

Fine. Then why discuss it? It just gives people a chance to do just that ... I really do know something about what's newsworthy.
I was just responding to another post, actually in somewhat in your defense that "yes it doesn't have news but if it needs to be moved it will be so don't worry about it."

Are you suggesting that every thread here is 'reporting' news rather than discussing it?
And, sure, I realize that the folks here largely all congregate on 2-3 boards and often they stay on them and don't ever pop into other places. This IS where real news and issues are discussed. I don't get paid for the hits, so I'd venture to say it's best for the site if more eyes are reading. I have watched more than one online forum (both Disney and completely different) wither and die.
I think a majority of the post are started here with the intent of sharing new information. Yours obviously wasn't. However, I don't want to get bogged down in semantics that really aren't even my jurisdiction when we may be on the verge of a strained respectable relationship. ;)

And have I ever committed or insinuated that I would commit any of those act against you or another board member?

This is a fun distraction for me. It's a TV show I can participate in. Nothing more. If I get frustrated with anyone around here, including you, it's the same level of frustration I get when something on Battlestar Galatica didn't go the way I thought it would years ago.

I don't want to go back and forth on this point. I don't see how you can scientifically prove anything ... and moreso why you would want to.
Because you have to be accountable for what you say and be able to back it up. Surely you should know that. You said something that I disproved with minimal effort. I know you think your reputation is secure, but I don't think you understand how foolish you come across sometimes. I think you want to make your point so bad that you lose sight that the supporting argument is just as important.

However, I will save comments on posting style in general for later as it is a general comment not centered on you and I don't want this to turn into a "you don't like the way I say things thread". Again we are on the precipice of an actual discussion. I don't want to derail it by over hashed commentary on your specific posting style.

We both know my overriding point was that WDW's alleged fans are one of the biggest reasons for the resort's stagnation ... and without name-dropping, I was told WDI views the situation largely the same way by a very well-known Imagineer last year. So ... let's say I am 100% wrong and no one was talking about the fountains of Storybook Circus today, it still doesn't change the fact that fans in Anaheim help ensure the Disney Legacy continues while fans of WDW largely ensure that the Legacy becomes one of a cheaper, yeah ... here it comes ... Walmarted product.
I think that's beside the point as we can address the issue with the WDW fan base without comparing them to Anaheim.

Then let's have that discussion ... right now (well not now, maybe over the weekend). I don't believe the polarization as you term it is behind the issues, but it doesn't help. But you have people who are entrenched in their views.
Since this is the meat of the discussion, I'm going to take this piece by piece. I think polarization as I described it isn't fully behind the issue. I think the impact of one side or the other is a matter of opinion and truly is not quantifiable. The entrenchment of their views is the main issue and that does go for both sides.

And some of us do know a bit more about what is happening than others. Disney is using the social media whores to shout down people that you'd likely say are too critical, folks like myself and others here.
That may be and is to a certain extent, but let me offer a counter point. If you know your influence (not yours particularly, but your like minded opinion) is getting crowded out of view, why are you seemingly content to sit here and be less than proactive about it? I don't mean that in an antagonizing way. It is an honest question.

If you don't think they've become so important to Disney, I'd say you simply are mistaken. They have had a huge presence in Anaheim this week. And Disney firmly believes they are the place to get its message out. The company pays some big bucks to top 'social media consultants' and tells them things that will make sure the big checks keep coming. That isn't telling Disney to focus on print outlets or broadcasters ... it's telling them that mommy bloggers are more important than the Washington Post or CBS.
I think the US in general is very jaded towards established media right now. I would be interested to see what the market penetration is for the vast number of bloggers that seem to be under Disney's wing. I don't want to get distracted on this point though.

Now, I'm going to make some comments about the type of communication being used. I'm prefacing this in the context of addressing grievances as a whole, not a person, to TWDC. I don't want this to turn into another referendum on your particular style of posting, although that is going to factor into it.

Obviously you are well connected and you at least garner a passing glance from the suits at Disney. Due to this you apparently embellish your style with flair that some (including myself) consider off putting. While that is fine with you because you seem to be secure in the level of respect you can maintain within the halls of Burbank, I think the net effect on what you are trying to accomplish is negative. Like it or not your tone permeates the (only as a descriptive term) D&G crowd.

I think that tone is a detriment not to courting TWDC (that ship has long sailed), but in reaching out to the core crowd that needs to be converted to make any sort of measurable gain. There are plenty of moderates here that don't speak up because of the tone of the D&G crowd is fairly irrational, even though they may agree with the basic points. As I said early, constructive inroads against the Pixie Dusters (again, only a descriptive term and referring mainly to bloggers) is the way to go in my opinion, not confrontation.

There is enough wrong at WDW that points can be made without catchphrases, name calling, and pigeonholing. There are also plenty of airtight arguments (Yeti, Splash) to be made that grasping for reason to be offended (HM queue, Dumbo Next-Gen Line) isn't necessary. The shotgun approach the D&G crowd takes against the Pixie Dusters is only to the benefit of the latter group. The Pixie Dusters are getting concise talking points directly from Disney. The D&G are just word vomiting on the internet.

Until the D&G crowd can reign it in, use indisputable facts, moderate, consolidate, and propagate their message the bloggers are going to "win".

That's all for me tonight. It's probably a little jumbled. I do look forward to your response.

jakeman

Not so much. I don't think it'll be one event or take an uprising before TWDC sees the error if it's ways. I believe they'll see a nice little influx in vacationers from the FLE and Art of Animation Resort over the next year and a half or so, but after that, the trends are going to start going south.
I thought I was done, but I think this is a valid point here. I don't want to imply there should be a Planet of the Apes style uprising among DVC members. It will be a gradual shift.

It won't take much for the DVC bubble to burst. It's like the stock market and once people start feeling they aren't getting their money's worth, the points are going to start declining sharply in value. TWDC needs to be seriously concerned that in 5 years people don't start thinking "gee, this was great a few years ago, but I'm bored with WDW and the kids are grown. Let's sell our stake and get out."
This could be a major factor. However, I think it would need to be that (which will happen eventually anyways) and a general dissatisfaction with WDW by the already purchased DVC'ers.

choco choco

I am still trying to figure out why our good friend Tom Bricker was credentialed as 'media' but I am sure he'll be told of this as soon as it hits the board and will hopefully regale us with his tale of being 'media' when he returns ... I'll be very interested as to whether Disney paid he and the Mrs.'s airfare and gave them a free hotel, admission and swag. Tom's a pretty stand-up guy, despite his career choice, so I think he'll be honest.

I was wondering about that too, even more than I am wondering how a guy fresh off the Bar exam and is just starting out as a lawyer is getting all this vacation time. He's posted 4 trip reports before the Carsland opening alone.

choco choco

People you have got to give him this. The seven weeks that he was gone on his vacation, this site was dead. And I mean dead. There were weeks on these threads without a worthwhile post. He comes back, and suddenly I leave for a couple hours and he's started a thread that gets hundreds of responses.

Contrast that with the Disneyland sites (you know the ones), which have been really energetic of late. Debating things like the edginess of the Mad T Party or the alignment of Carthay Circle or how the new segments in World of Color disrupt the flow or the potential of the Avengers or (bizarrely) an uptick in 3rd Gate rumors.

You guys are starved for content on here, and Disney isn't helping matters, and I think '74 knows it.

I don't want to go back and forth on this point. I don't see how you can scientifically prove anything ... and moreso why you would want to. We both know my overriding point was that WDW's alleged fans are one of the biggest reasons for the resort's stagnation ... and without name-dropping, I was told WDI views the situation largely the same way by a very well-known Imagineer last year. So ... let's say I am 100% wrong and no one was talking about the fountains of Storybook Circus today, it still doesn't change the fact that fans in Anaheim help ensure the Disney Legacy continues while fans of WDW largely ensure that the Legacy becomes one of a cheaper, yeah ... here it comes ... Walmarted product.

I'm gonna call you out on this one Spirit. You are being unoriginal. Know who made this point for you about 2 months ago. Al Lutz... right in this article.

He caught a lot of flack for it. And I know you don't like to be associated with him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom