Two coasts: One very different world

rioriz

Per Dumbo...while poor planning...I guess that is a good reason why there are soft openings to see how things will work when run with real world conditions...I am sure water dummys cannot correctly fortell how heavier adults, jerky children, and the laws of physics to a tee...As i remember reading, the second Dumbo has had it's modifications and the first will go down soon to get its modifications.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Miss this part that describes how it could be a safety hazard to a guest???

All of that is pure conjuncture and doesn't actually mean anything nor prove its an actual safety hazard. The risk from an e-stop is the same regardless of this situation.

Should it operate like that? IMO - no. But to act like Disney is playing Russian Roulette and calling it a dangerous situation is complete sensationalism and utter crap.

asianway

Dangerous? Really... I know the guy must look up to his expose heros Al Lutz or something.. but paint scraping isn't necessary a safety risk. And I'm not sure how rubbing on the SIDES makes a pit too SHALLOW. That is unless the dumbos sit at about a 80deg angle when in their rest position.. which of couse, they don't.

It could simply be something like the capstones/tiles on the rim of the pit weren't compensated for correctly, or errors in construction.

Given it wasn't addressed in testing - it could be something manifested later and is mechanical and not about the pit design at all.

Look at this view
301417460-12155417.jpg

Unless the vehicles are slipping off of their mounts causing them to scrape. That would seem dangerous

flynnibus

Premium Member
What a joke. How on earth does a brand new attraction, based off a 50 year old attraction that has worked for decades immediately break?

It's not based on the original attraction of 50+ years. And one need not forget the earlier version was plagued with problems too.. including having a dumbo break off. The newer 16 dumbo design is from the 90s.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Unless the vehicles are slipping off of their mounts causing them to scrape. That would seem dangerous

if I had to speculate.. I'd wager it's more to do with the pivot and the arm itself not returning to the same exact position after being actuated up and down.

spacemt354

Chili's
Agreed. I don't think the ride should be running either. I think they should fix the issue right now. But to claim paint chipping off a dumbo is a safety hazard to guests is an over exaggeration. If the Dumbo cars weren't properly connected to the spinner and at any moment they could go flying off into the Barnstormer, then I would say it's a major safety issue.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It's not based on the original attraction of 50+ years. And one need not forget the earlier version was plagued with problems too.. including having a dumbo break off. The newer 16 dumbo design is from the 90s.

Spinners are hardly new tech. The fact that they could not get it right is inexcusable. And definitely implies that they took the cheap way out. This is a hard thing to defend.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Spinners are hardly new tech. The fact that they could not get it right is inexcusable. And definitely implies that they took the cheap way out. This is a hard thing to defend.

Mistakes really have nothing to do with how much money you spend. See the Hubble Telescope.

The reality is there is an issue, it's been observed, and most of what's being thrown around is sensationalism and speculation at best. You don't know what caused it, yet you are ready to thrown them under the bus as 'cheap'. Maybe one should have some information to base something on before they jump??

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Mistakes really have nothing to do with how much money you spend. See the Hubble Telescope.

The reality is there is an issue, it's been observed, and most of what's being thrown around is sensationalism and speculation at best. You don't know what caused it, yet you are ready to thrown them under the bus as 'cheap'. Maybe one should have some information to base something on before they jump??

I said it IMPLIES they took the cheap way out, maybe they spent a dump truck of money on a malfunctioning spinner. Either way, it is a very poor job.

Captain Chaos

All of that is pure conjuncture and doesn't actually mean anything nor prove its an actual safety hazard. The risk from an e-stop is the same regardless of this situation.

Should it operate like that? IMO - no. But to act like Disney is playing Russian Roulette and calling it a dangerous situation is complete sensationalism and utter crap.

I have seen apologists for TDO back up some silly things before, but calling a situation that could be putting guests in harms way sensationalism and utter crap is a new low, even for apologists...

So, let's keep a potentially dangerous situation for a guest operating...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I said it IMPLIES they took the cheap way out

Only to those either predisposed to jump on them as cheap.. or people who leap to answers before they even know if the answer is the right one. Neither are very good traits. Don't you know that guy that knows what's wrong with your computer or car before you even finish explaining the problem? Yeah.. that. Not a good thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have seen apologists for TDO back up some silly things before, but calling a situation that could be putting guests in harms way sensationalism and utter crap is a new low, even for apologists...

Because nothing infers rubbing = necessarily dangerous. You're basing your position on information that has proven completely unreliable. All you really know is there is at least one dumbo, with scrapes on the side of his leg. And that e-stops aren't liked. That's what you really know.

You don't know if it was a one time thing, a recurring thing, something that happened with force, or something that happens only fractions of a millimeter at once.

You're jumping off the cliff based on zero hard facts.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Only to those either predisposed to jump on them as cheap.. or people who leap to answers before they even know if the answer is the right one. Neither are very good traits. Don't you know that guy that knows what's wrong with your computer or car before you even finish explaining the problem? Yeah.. that. Not a good thing.
I disagree. Disney has a nice mix of being cheap and extraordinarily bloated simultaneously. I am not predisposed to look at anything they do as automatically cheap. But this, in itself, comes off cheap. They didn't do their homework, and or they built it lazily.

None of that matters. Regardless of the reasons behind this, it should not have happened, and it should not still be in operation.

Buried20KLeague

Agreed. I don't think the ride should be running either. I think they should fix the issue right now. But to claim paint chipping off a dumbo is a safety hazard to guests is an over exaggeration. If the Dumbo cars weren't properly connected to the spinner and at any moment they could go flying off into the Barnstormer, then I would say it's a major safety issue.

You're missing the point (not surprisingly).

The ride, while in motion and apparently scraping the edge of the pit, is not the direct cause of concern.

The concern arises when the ride is e-stopped, either because of an automatic sensor sensing too much restrictive pressue put on the motors, or because a cast member hears something they don't like (the scraping) and hits it, or maybe both.

E-stops are designed to VERY QUICKLY shut down the entire system. They're designed that way because you have to plan for the worst possible cases, which would require immediate ending of all motion. When you E-stop, you don't coast to a stop. In an attaction like this, you STOP.

What happens when little Timmy is flying high above Circusland without a care in the world, and an automatic sensor literally SLAMS the brakes on??? Little timmy could fly forward and hit the cab. Or the joystick.

Let me make this clear: The issue isn't the paint being scraped off. It's the cascade of possible effects that restriction could cause.

And FYI... I have a history in Ride Operations Supervision. So I know what I'm talking about. That's not the line of work I'm in anymore, but that's what I did. And e-stops and their consequences were a daily issue I had to deal with.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You're missing the point (not surprisingly).

The ride, while in motion and apparently scraping the edge of the pit, is not the direct cause of concern.

The concern arises when the ride is e-stopped, either because of an automatic sensor sensing too much restrictive pressue put on the motors, or because a cast member hears something they don't like (the scraping) and hits it, or maybe both.

E-stops are designed to VERY QUICKLY shut down the entire system. They're designed that way because you have to plan for the worst possible cases, which would require immediate ending of all motion. When you E-stop, you don't coast to a stop. In an attaction like this, you STOP.

What happens when little Timmy is flying high above Circusland without a care in the world, and an automatic sensor literally SLAMS the brakes on??? Little timmy could fly forward and hit the cab. Or the joystick.

Let me make this clear: The issue isn't the paint being scraped off. It's the cascade of possible effects that restriction could cause.

And FYI... I have a history in Ride Operations Supervision. So I know what I'm talking about. That's not the line of work I'm in anymore, but that's what I did. And e-stops and their consequences were a daily issue I had to deal with.

How dare you bring facts into this?!?!?!

Buried20KLeague

Because nothing infers rubbing = necessarily dangerous. You're basing your position on information that has proven completely unreliable. All you really know is there is at least one dumbo, with scrapes on the side of his leg. And that e-stops aren't liked. That's what you really know.

You don't know if it was a one time thing, a recurring thing, something that happened with force, or something that happens only fractions of a millimeter at once.

You're jumping off the cliff based on zero hard facts.

Normally I don't have an issue with your posts, and don't mind your opposing viewpoint. But to infer that a ride vehicle coming in contact with the stationary objects surrounding it MIGHT be okay is almost completly insane.

It doesn't matter if it happened once. If it happened once, it could happen again. And in this day and age, those are possibilities that any amusement company doesn't operate under.

Every time it happens (for whatever reason), it creates stresses and forces on areas of the ride that certainly weren't designed for it. I'm sure you can see how that can easily become a problem.

Unless, of course, this is completely untrue (which is possible, I don't know, I haven't seen it). But that certain doesn't seem like a scrape that would have occurred during unloading or assembling of the pachyderm... It looks consistant with the motion the cart would have been traveling in relation to the trough.

TarzanRocked99-

They needed it so bad they couldn't even design it right: http://www..com/2012/06/25/new-double-dumbo-designs-by-dolts-at-walt-disney-world/

Actually they have it almost right, they measured the circumfernece of the pit without taking into the account the ceramic tiles that were added. If you look at the back leg of all the Dumbo's they are scrapping against the tiles and cutting into the fiberglass. In addition there was no filtration system added into the water feature pit and all of the debris has now caused clogging and the water has had to be shut off. It would be comical if it wasnt just so sad. Lord knows what the price tag was on this project to begin with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom