Two coasts: One very different world

spacemt354

Chili's
I actually for once was agreeing with you...up until your last sentence. It's just fine to have fun, I'm not looking to take away anyone's fun. I even have fun at WDW. I'm not so super critical that I think it's now an awful place or something. In fact, I love it. Which is why I criticize. I want it to be the best place it can be. I think it's ok to hold Disney to the standard they set themselves over the years. I am holding them accountable to something they established. It's not like I just made up with they were all about. Why some people don't seem to want to do the same is beyond me.

And I again, don't want to take away peoples' fun. I actually want people to have more fun...via the problems that are at WDW (for there are big problems) finally being addressed. Just saying "let the people who enjoy the current Disney World have their fun" and not reminding them the used to get a better product (which, they did...just research...seriously research what Disney was like today compared to the late 80s early 90s. It's not like people don't have a basis for their discontent) is basically akin to you saying "I'm going to put my fingers in my ears and hum lalalalala over and over while saying I can't hear you, I can't hear you." You're asking to remain ignorant...which, I guess more power to you if you really want that, but actually asking to stay ignorant seems pretty sad to me.

It's ok to love something and still be critical. And it's ok to discuss those problems. That is how change happens.
I have researched wdw. I like reading the history of the parks and how they have grown over the years. But that's all I have. Reading something online is far different than actually experiencing it. So do I have to base my opinions soley on what the research and the critics on this forum say? No. Am I going to understand where they are coming from? Yes. I'm not saying lalala or whatever analogy you were trying to use. I am going by my own experiences in wdw and that's all I can really give an opinion that has evidence to back it up. There are clearly people on here that have been to the world more often than I have and claim to have known wdw since its inception. And it's not you personally, but it's frustrating when others on here claim that we are snorting pixie dust and maxing out our Disney visas all for a product some deem needs major improvement. Everything needs improvement, nothing is ever perfect but I'm not going to let a few things ruin or alter my enjoyment of wdw. I would rather spend my time there then anywhere else, and even with improvements that could be needed, that bottom line still hasn't changed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't like what it's become and I'm going to say so.

That doesn't mean I don't still have some love for the old gal -- I do. But it's sad to see something you have enjoyed so much offer you less and less each year. And hopefully as they track my spending and see how I visit fewer and fewer times, they'll get the point and turn it around.

Just like Spirit, and Lee and everyone else here that has watched as the experience declines and the prices increase.
This remark and the many people on this board that utter it ARE the problem with Disney World.

Stop snorting the pixie dust off your new Mickey Mouse Disney Visa Rewards card and you would see the difference between a quality-run park and what's qucikly becoming a Six Flags-style experience.

I am the first to admit I am high on the pixie dust. Is WDW perfect? Not quite, but it is still amazing and magical to me. It seems like you are saying it was once that way for you too. I feel bad for those on here that are saying the magic is gone for them. It will be a sad day if/when this ever happens to me. Remember back to when you loved everything about WDW and thought it was amazing. Then imagine a message board where a bunch of people continuously bashed the park you loved. That is what it is like for those of us who are still high on the pixie dust. It is not that we don't hear what you are saying we just don't agree with it. I can't wrap my head around thinking WDW is somehow six flag like. To say that those who still think WDW is amazing and still love mostly everything about it is the problem you are probably right if you are saying the problem is that Disney needs to make major changes. If the millions who go there every year stopped going or complained then things would change. The problem is most of those millions aren't really interested in making a statement to management. They are just enjoying their vacations at a park they love or maybe one they are visiting for the first time.

To get back on topic I think the new DL stuff looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in person. I am a little jealous that DL got all of this and not WDW since I go to WDW way more often. I don't see why it has to be DL or WDW. You can love both and be happy that both are getting new attractions.

scpergj

Judge me by my age do you? Though it's good to see you're getting out of your mom's basement and going to cars land.
Quite simply...yes. Your are 18 years old. You do not have the life experience that some of us do - and you cannot have any memory of what WDW was like back...say, before you were born. I have been visiting the resort since my parents brought be in 1972, and have been a multiple year AP holder. I have seen firsthand the decline in the park experience, especially in the last ten or so years. My family and I will not be renewing our passes this year for the first time in 10 years...precisely because of the decline we see. My kids (10 and 14), while they have fun, want to try some new experiences outside of central Florida. I suggest you do the same.

True. No respect for you, Lee, or any of the rest of the long time posters. I'm calling Troll, actually...

Disneyland, universal Orlando, six flags gret adveture, sea world, bush gardens
See my first comment......

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're right. I've been other places but I didnt think skiing in Vermont has any relevance to the topic of theme parks that we are discussing.

Actually it is relevant. What Disney is based upon is not 'rides' nor specific types of attractions - but rather guest experience. Such a focus on guest experience can be applied in all types of entertainment. It seems all too often people get stuck in a pattern of just doing Disney and hence lose all point of reference to anything but what they see within the Disney bubble. This is why many think 'no one is anywhere close to Disney!' - because they haven't seen anyone else or gone anywhere else of significance.

Travel the world.. see different cultures.. different places.. different types of entertainment... not just mechanical thrill rides or the faux environments Disney makes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Quite simply...yes. Your are 18 years old. You do not have the life experience that some of us do - and you cannot have any memory of what WDW was like back...say, before you were born. I have been visiting the resort since my parents brought be in 1972, and have been a multiple year AP holder. I have seen firsthand the decline in the park experience, especially in the last ten or so years. My family and I will not be renewing our passes this year for the first time in 10 years...precisely because of the decline we see. My kids (10 and 14), while they have fun, want to try some new experiences outside of central Florida. I suggest you do the same.

True. No respect for you, Lee, or any of the rest of the long time posters. I'm calling Troll, actually...

See my first comment......

If he is old enough to vote and old enough to serve in the military he is old enough to have an opinion on Disney World!!!! Seriously, I personally like to travel to other places besides central FL, but you can't kill people for wanting to spend their vacations there. There are people that go 3 times a year and people that go 1 time in their life and there are some who never go at all. I have friends who cannot understand why I would ever spend $5k on a trip to an amusement park when I could be at an all inclusive in Punta Cana for less than $1k. It is a matter of personal preference. I have to admit I didn't read all 37 pages of posts so I couldn't really follow the logic around age and experience being an issue or why you are calling him a troll.

Just depends on what you want to focus on. If you want to make your focus on broken effects and impossible to verify budget cuts, then you're going to have a bad time.

For example, there was a three page thread on The Tropicals steel drum band leaving Animal Kingdom, but no mention (that I can tell, remember pages load very slow for me) about them returning on weekends to Typhoon Lagoon along with Lilo, Stitch, and Caribbean-themed food.

There are multiple threads about Animal Kingdom reducing the amount of entertainment, but really no discussion of the (unfortunately titled) Sundowner Celebration and the additional entertainment offered for that.

Just two examples.

theRIOT

I am the first to admit I am high on the pixie dust. Is WDW perfect? Not quite, but it is still amazing and magical to me. It seems like you are saying it was once that way for you too. I feel bad for those on here that are saying the magic is gone for them. It will be a sad day if/when this ever happens to me. Remember back to when you loved everything about WDW and thought it was amazing. Then imagine a message board where a bunch of people continuously bashed the park you loved. That is what it is like for those of us who are still high on the pixie dust. It is not that we don't hear what you are saying we just don't agree with it. I can't wrap my head around thinking WDW is somehow six flag like. To say that those who still think WDW is amazing and still love mostly everything about it is the problem you are probably right if you are saying the problem is that Disney needs to make major changes. If the millions who go there every year stopped going or complained then things would change. The problem is most of those millions aren't really interested in making a statement to management. They are just enjoying their vacations at a park they love or maybe one they are visiting for the first time.

Do you ever stop and really look at what you're typing?

I've never said the "magic" was gone. I, and lots of others, have said things aren't as good as they used to be and it's only because management had decided to place the almighty dollar over quality.

I'm glad you still love the place and find no problem with them taking away rides and attractions and replacing them with lesser experiences.

I'm thrilled that you find the choices in dining to be magical despite the well-documented fact that they continue to dumb it down and give you less while charging you more.

I still have fun on my vacations to WDW. All of us do. But someone of us have chosen to not turn a blind eye to the problems we see. And there are real problems.

Imagine a message board where no one fought for quality and just said "Yea! Hey Mickey, I'll pay whatever you want for whatever you want to give me blindly."

No thanks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do you ever stop and really look at what you're typing?

I've never said the "magic" was gone. I, and lots of others, have said things aren't as good as they used to be and it's only because management had decided to place the almighty dollar over quality.

I'm glad you still love the place and find no problem with them taking away rides and attractions and replacing them with lesser experiences.

I'm thrilled that you find the choices in dining to be magical despite the well-documented fact that they continue to dumb it down and give you less while charging you more.

I still have fun on my vacations to WDW. All of us do. But someone of us have chosen to not turn a blind eye to the problems we see. And there are real problems.

Imagine a message board where no one fought for quality and just said "Yea! Hey Mickey, I'll pay whatever you want for whatever you want to give me blindly."

No thanks.

Sorry. I was not looking to upset you or make this hostile. You are entitled to your opinion and I am not trying to tell you how you should think. I was just trying to give you my perspective. I am pretty new to this board but it seems like when someone defends the product at WDW the group that is being critical can't understand why the defenders think the way they do. I am not singling you out on this and maybe it doesn't apply to you at all but when people say WDW Quality is so bad I disagree. When people say WDW is becoming six flags I disagree and when people trash new areas like the Casey Jr Splash Zone I disagree since I think it is cool. These are just my opinions and if we disagree that is fine.

Truthfully I found this message board when i was looking for info on when things in the new fantasyland would be open since I was going in June. I started looking at threads like this one and could not understand why people who were so negative against WDW would be posting on a WDW message board. After a few months I am starting to get where some people are coming from now. It took me some time but i think i get it I understand that you still go to WDW but you wish it was different or better or like it was in the past. My only point is that I and others who defend WDW don't necessarily feel that way. We still think it is great as it is. I don't see the decrease in quality that you and others talk about. I had a fantastic meal at Ragland Road on my past trip that rivaled any i had at WDW in my life. I would love to have Carsland there but I am still very excited for fantasyland expansion and then maybe avatar land. For me if I felt the quality had declined to the level of a six flags the magic would be gone. I should not have assumed that would be the case for everyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom