Tusker House to become Character Buffet?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So now my very comfortable ritual when at AK.....FP Everest, have a nice morning safari, stop off from some great coffee and breakfast (they already messed with the sticky buns....) has to be reworked...:(

And a nice alternative lunch escape from burgers and pizza....grilled salmon or turkey wrap and corn chowder.... :cry:
Let me know when you figure out a new plan because I do the exact same thing every morning I am at AK. I have a feeling that I might be going to Boatwrights for breakfast a little more frequently now.

Why oh why could they not do this to the Pizzafari instead?

bayoutinkbelle

Maybe I am the only one that sees this as a good thing. Animal Kingdom needs a sit-down restaurant. Not just one in the morning like Donalds. The Asia restaurant has been delayed and Rainforest doesnt cut it.

It is a smart move on Disney's part if they want to make Animal Kingdom anything more then just a half day park. I can see that they are finally starting to move AK in the right direction.

I already see TH as a great sit-down restaurant. I don't mind adding a character meal to the park, but why TH?

SpongeScott

If another Character Buffet wasn't needed they wouldn't put it in. Complain all you want. It is probably a decision made by necessity more than anything else. We hit 6 character buffets last trip and all the good times were booked solid 170 days ahead. So even in that 10 days, we were stuck with "off times". There is a need for more character meals. Especially ones that can possibly be walk up. Besides, the food will prob still be served there. So, if you really want it, go for it. If there wasn't a demand, this wouldn't be happening.

For those that though the H&V breakfast was overkill with Playhouse Disney, we were shocked to find out that the price was $22.99 per person. That is the most expensive price besides the castle. Most are $17.99.

Simple economics. We barely got into Restrauntasaursessis last trip on the last sitting, waiting for a total of 1 hr, 40 minutes after our schedualed time. So there is a need, and this is cheaper than building a new place.

Sorry if it hurts some peoples feelings, but it is a move they seem to need to make to make guests happy.

I hate to admit it but you are right. This goes along with the "Why does every ride end in a gift shop?" argument. They do it because that is what the consumer wants. It is just a shame that a great place like Tusker has to be a casualty of character breakfasts popularity. Lets just hope that the menu becomes like Boma than we will at lest still have great food.
My only argument with what you are saying is that it's "needed". Is it really needed? I don't think it would matter what Disney put where, in any park, it would more than likely work or be used or bought. But to take one of the best counter service restaurants on property and change it to this, I just don't see the point in it. Yes, the character buffets are popular as evidenced by your experience, but "needed"? I think it's more of a way that Disney can line their pockets with a few more dollars than they are getting now--and whether we like it or not, it will be popular. It's been interesting to see how the vast majority of board members here are against it. I'm surprised more have come out in favor of it like you.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My only argument with what you are saying is that it's "needed". Is it really needed? I don't think it would matter what Disney put where, in any park, it would more than likely work or be used or bought. But to take one of the best counter service restaurants on property and change it to this, I just don't see the point in it. Yes, the character buffets are popular as evidenced by your experience, but "needed"? I think it's more of a way that Disney can line their pockets with a few more dollars than they are getting now--and whether we like it or not, it will be popular. It's been interesting to see how the vast majority of board members here are against it. I'm surprised more have come out in favor of it like you.
I am not is favor of it by any means. I can see their logic in wanting to add another character meal but I really hate their choice for its location. At this point is seems like this change is all but carved in stone so all I can do is hope for the best such as a Boma like menu and characters other than the fab 5. If I had my way Pizzafari or Rainforest would get the axe not Tusker house

JimboJones123

I don't think anyone is upset that they are adding a character buffet to the park. Actually I'm surprised it has taken this long to get one, but the problem is what they are taking away to get that buffet. It seems to be Tusker House would be the LAST place to consider a reworking like this. I personally like Flame Tree BBQ a little better, but Tusker House's quality for counter service is 2nd to none and it wasn't like the place isn't always crowded.

I think that is where people are so confused/upset about this news.

Outdoors, and across like 8-9 seperate eating areas? Flame tree might be the LARGEST eatery at WDW.

drew81

anyone want to take a guess what characters will be there???

If Donald's breakfast stays then I say it will be Jungle characters like Baloo, Timon, Rafiki, King Louie, Terk etc...Disneyland has a character meal and it features Chip, Dale, Meeko, Terk, Kenai and Koda.

nerdboyrockstar

I don't think this is a bad idea at all. With the new Nemo musical, a character dining experience and the upcoming Asia restaurant, I think Animal Kingdom is moving towards becoming a little more than a half-day park.

ssidiouss@mac.c

This sounds fun to me..

Any chance you think it will be ready for my trip in March?

Also.. I wonder what it will be like.. what charcters.. food type etc.

Vernonpush

I don't think anyone is upset that they are adding a character buffet to the park. Actually I'm surprised it has taken this long to get one, but the problem is what they are taking away to get that buffet. It seems to be Tusker House would be the LAST place to consider a reworking like this. I personally like Flame Tree BBQ a little better, but Tusker House's quality for counter service is 2nd to none and it wasn't like the place isn't always crowded.
I think that is where people are so confused/upset about this news.

That's the thing. Tusker House was always crowded. Inside and out. Are they only seating indoors when it becomes a CB? What happens to all those "people per hour" who got their food ate and left? It is now an "all you can eat buffet". People take longer to eat when they can go back for more. How many people will get frustrated and leave the park because they have no place to eat?:mad:

DigitalDisney

Instead, they need to create a new full service character meal place right behind Tusker House. They could share the same kitchen facilites and utilities.

If this conversion actually happens, I will be a very sad panda :(

JimboJones123

I just don't think pizzafari is big enough so they went with Tusker. The Dino place has the contract w/McDonalds so it couldn't be used. Guess that leaves only Tusker. They may expand the Pizzafari menu to include Tucker offerings too? This will leave the park VERY short chaged in CS, so something new will pop up... Maybe something more by Nemo/Everest. That place will be hopping starting next week.

goofyfan13

While I agree that they needed to do something like this, I think Tusker House was a HORRIBLE choice to do it to. Why not do it to Pizzafari. Tusker house has unique food(considering the norm in WDW) and was my favorite counter service restaurant. I hope to God this does not go through. :brick:

imagineersrock

Have you any idea how noisy it's going to be in my apartment...;)
Where will a Safari Driver eat (After 2:30pm ;)) in-between those 2 week safaris?

Joking aside, this is a TERRIBLE idea in my opinion. There are just so many reasons not to do this, I have no idea why it would even be considered in the first place.

1.) The food is fantastic... hands-down one of the best counter service places on property. Why would you change this?

2.) The themeing. DAK is known for its incredible themeing, Harambe is of course no exception. I've spent a lot of time exploring this restaurant, and feel it is possibly the best themed area in all of Harambe (anyone who's ever taken the time to admire the area above the registers knows what I'm talking about. I have a feeling some of that themeing and authenticity will be lost if it's turned into a character dining spot.

3.) The crowds. The place is always packed... why would they close a very popular quick-service only to turn it into a buffet? While they might be able to charge more per person, I don't think they'd be making much more actual money because of the turn-over. Currently, people get their food, sit down, eat it, and then they're off. Table service/buffets have a MUCH slower table turn-over rate than counter service places (Especially if it's a character meal.)

4.) Other QSR locations? Someone argued that more character dining experiences are needed... Maybe, but I think the counter service restaurants in DAK (Especially Tuskers because of its ideal location) are equally neccesary. I'm willing to bet more people in general--especially the regulars and locals--(as can be seen simply by reading the responses in this thread) are more likely to visit a nice counter-service instead of a character meal. In my opinion, if we lose this quick service, the lines at the other ones in the park will become outrageous.

You might be able to find some pros, but in my opinion the cons heavily outweigh them. I know plenty of the folks that work there, so I'll see what I can dig up about this rumor on Saturday.

This is one of those rare times that I hate how reliable Steve is, because I'm really hoping he is wrong about this one!

TTATraveler

I will be really disappointed if the Tusker House is converted.:mad: Tusker House has great food at a very reasonable price. Character buffets are expensive, noisy, and chaotic. Not everyone wants to drop 20-30 bucks a person for a buffet with the standard characters and buffet faire. This is only going to make Pizzafari and Flame Tree even more crowded then they already are. I don't want McDonalds either that I can get anywhere, so nix Dinoland for food.

If this happens, I hope they shift Tusker House's menu to Flame Tree or Pizzafari.

VeRTiGo91

I for one hope it doesn't become permanent. We loved the experience with the show and the food was great..something for everyone.

Drat!! :mad:

V

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom