Tunnel between Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary

MaElStRoMROCKS

Account Suspended
i like your idea!!!!

I like your idea because if tehy build a tunnel between the magical kingdom and the comptemporary hotels then every time i stay at one of those hotels i can walk to the magicl Kingdom EVEN IN THE RAIN!!! Tell Disney to build it so they know we want it done and support it for them!!!!!

jmarc63

Re: i like your idea!!!!

Originally posted by MaElStRoMROCKS
I like your idea because if tehy build a tunnel between the magical kingdom and the comptemporary hotels then every time i stay at one of those hotels i can walk to the magicl Kingdom EVEN IN THE RAIN!!! Tell Disney to build it so they know we want it done and support it for them!!!!!

HUM, I am totaly spechless:hammer: :hammer:

niteobsrvr

Ok, I am not saying anyone is right here and anyone is wrong just passing on a thought or two.

I dont recall anything in particular looking like it might head to the contemporary. However, I beleive it could be possible that a more crude maintenance type tunnel could possibly run across to the the chilling Unit that sits near the contemporary. I am by no means an engineer but that chiller is quite large and I am not sure that the contemporary uses all of its output. just a thought but no one will probalby ever no for sure because it probalby heads out of the back of a manitenance area off the utilidors if it exists.

As for tunnels in general, The Magic Kingdom is childs play compared to the systems that run beneath The Ohio State University main campus in Columbus, Ohio. They were built for the heating and cooling systems pipes to travel through and run all over the campus. The only differences between these and the ones at Disney are that they are much older, not brightly painted, and no one cleans them. Oh, and they aren't really just a bunch of basement hallways but real live utility corridors. If you can find anything on the net about them, they are quite interesting and filled with urban legends too.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

umm... what?

jmarc63

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Ok, I am not saying anyone is right here and anyone is wrong just passing on a thought or two.

I dont recall anything in particular looking like it might head to the contemporary. However, I beleive it could be possible that a more crude maintenance type tunnel could possibly run across to the the chilling Unit that sits near the contemporary. I am by no means an engineer but that chiller is quite large and I am not sure that the contemporary uses all of its output.

Niteobserver.....Yes that chiller is quite large. If you consider the Grand Canyon Concource, Which is a huge Atrium, Would require a huge CFM rate to cool in the warmer months would need a chiller of that size to cool the Tower atrium effectivly. It also supplies the cooling to the rest of the structure as well as the garden wings. Based on this I think it supplies cooling to just the Contempoary.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

Yeah..but once you get to the Magic Kingdom, or as you call it the "magicl Kingdom", it would still be raining, so the purpose is defeated. Why build a tunnel when it's only 5 minutes walk the way it is?

Invero

Pssst.... it's called the MONORAIL. It's completely enclosed...

rcamire

Hi all,

Cool site, glad I found it.

Has anyone ever heard of a tunnel between Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary? I read a post out on OrlandoRocks.com that walt had one built but it was not really usable. Funny I have not heard about this before, but quite a bit of detail there so It makes me think it's true.

Man I would like to check it out!, I wonder if it entered the Utilidors?

Hey guys,

Funny I was freiends on my Disney team about this just today when we were at contemp for lunch and he had never heard of it. So I went to research it and found this post. The funny thing is I am the guy who build and still runs OrlandoRocks.com, LOL. The site is still around but has not had a discussion board for years. This original post is 10 years old and I happen to pull it up as the first reference, and it came from me. Wow! Anyway from what I know it is true, but the tunnel was never used. First Walt died before the park opened, and second, the tunnel was way too hot and damp and had no AC and was deemed unsafe. When I first lerned about it was back in 1999 while working at Disney and talking with one of the maintenance guys that had been working at contemp since it opened. At that time, he pointed to an area of the parking lot that had been repaved in a circular pattern. Apperently part of the tunnel had started to collapse when constuction equipment had recently driven over it. So they filled it in a patched the asphault. Later they repaved the entire lot, so this new / dark area is long since gone.

Anyway take it for what you will, but this was the head maintenance guy for contemp.

Rasvar

The only items underground in that area I am aware of are utility tunnels for power, drainage, water and also for the Chiller plant. It would not surprise me if there is a utility passage way that connects MK to Chiller Plant to Contemporary but it is not one that would be easily passable like a "secret tunnel" would seem to indicate.

Mouse Detective

There actually IS a tunnel between the Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary Resort. But it's not a pedestrian tunnel that runs from the park to the resort, it's a road tunnel that carries vehicle traffic on the northern part of World Drive under the canal that connects the Seven Seas Lagoon to Bay Lake. Since it is located "between" MK and CR, maybe that's how this rumor got started.

Interestingly, there are just 3 underwater road tunnels in Florida. One is on US 1 in downtown Fort Lauderdale but the other two are located at Walt Disney World!

Goofy6294

Oh, it's there...

Just push aside the Mickey statue in the photo op at Chef Mickey's, climb down the ladder and voila! If you follow it, you'll end up in Stitch's Great Escape!

Jimmy Thick

Here to celebrate the bumping of a ten year old thread that has no merit.

Cheers!!!

Jimmy Thick- Everyone to Club 33 in the Magic Kingdom, Iam buying!!!

Xethos

IT is not possible if you stop and think about it. The utilidors are on ground level, so basically you would see it from above if there was a structure connecting the two.

sweetpee_1993

Nope. What you describe is south of the resort.

AVAC originally went from the CR to the MK though.
Anyway, why are we replying to a TEN YEAR OLD thread??
I don't know why we're replying to a 10 year old thread but I thought it'd be fun to do it so I could say I had. :p

BTW, what's AVAC an acronym for?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom