Tunnel between Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary

DisneyAddicted

Original Poster
Hi all,

Cool site, glad I found it.

Has anyone ever heard of a tunnel between Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary? I read a post out on OrlandoRocks.com that walt had one built but it was not really usable. Funny I have not heard about this before, but quite a bit of detail there so It makes me think it's true.

Man I would like to check it out!, I wonder if it entered the Utilidors?

dalton30720

That tunnel may exist but it's not shown on the utilidor map. I've heard many rumors about it but have never seen any evidence of it.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by DisneyAddicted

Funny I have not heard about this before, but quite a bit of detail there so It makes me think it's true.

Hi, and welcome. I don't know if this is true or not...I hope someone more knowledgeble will answer.

I just wanted to mention that lots of details do not mean something is true! I've heard/read urban legends and tall stories that have an incredible amount of detail...but are absolutely untrue.

However, there may be a kernal of truth in there that has just been embellished to make a more interesting story. Perhaps there was an attempt to make a tunnel, but Florida's high water table prevented it. I would also like to learn the truth. Thanks for starting an interesting thread! :)

Nope. There is no tunnel between the 2 areas whatsoever.. The farthest the utilidoor goes on that side of the street is under the kitchen at Tony's Town Square

Katherine

Originally posted by mwitkus
this is the first i have heard of it but it would be cool..

i'll be in disney in 2 weeks and will be doing the keys to the kingdom tour while i am there... i'll try to remember to ask the cm about that and see what he/she says...

Please ask I think it would be really interesting to know about!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
sigh...

yet another false rumor. first off, how could Walt put it there, if he wasn't even alive to see construction start...

not to mention that I have been in every square foot of those tunnels, and the closest it would go to the contemporary is beneath the Tony's Kitchen... and that would still require you to go upstairs, exit the park, and cross the street.

mickeyfanatics

I love the incredible rumors about what Walt did at the Florida project when he died 6 months before any piece of earth was moved. Anyway, the utilidors were a great concept, and remember, they are not truly underground. The Magic Kingdom is just the second floor of a building, and the first floor is cleverly disguised by dirt and roads. Florida's water table is at most only about 15 feet below the ground almost anywhere you go.

jmarc63

Originally posted by mktiggerman
sigh...

yet another false rumor. first off, how could Walt put it there, if he wasn't even alive to see construction start...

not to mention that I have been in every square foot of those tunnels, and the closest it would go to the contemporary is beneath the Tony's Kitchen... and that would still require you to go upstairs, exit the park, and cross the street.

Interesting..... Well maybe you could answer this Question for me?. Back in the 70s when I was going to WDW twice a year and would always stay at the Contempoary, I noticed that when the charaters would leave after a "Chacater Caravan" at the Feista Fun Center the charaters would head for a door in the stair Core by Front desk/lobby area. I could have sworn that it was a stair way and they went down the stairs. I was always under the impression that it connected to a Utilidor back to MK.

BTW....Mickey fanitics I belive it you look at the topography the Contempoaty The site appears to be raised as well above the original grade. Due to the size of the tower and the massive loads the ground would had to support They had to build deeper foundations to support the buildings steel structure and especially to carry the load for the central cores, being that they are constructed of reinforced concreat.

jmarc63

Originally posted by mickeyfanatics
I love the incredible rumors about what Walt did at the Florida project when he died 6 months before any piece of earth was moved. Anyway, the utilidors were a great concept, and remember, they are not truly underground. The Magic Kingdom is just the second floor of a building, and the first floor is cleverly disguised by dirt and roads. Florida's water table is at most only about 15 feet below the ground almost anywhere you go.

Mickey....... One posibility of Walt being attribitued to have done anything at WDW is maytbe these people dont realize when walt died. Or after Walts death Roy had to take over the rains to campleat Construction of Phase one. When Roy did, he tried to incorporate all of what Walt wanted to build in Floridia. One of the biggest fight Disney had was in having the Monorail go thru the Contempoary and the Architech said they didn't want to build it that way and Walt wanted it to, That was the whole plan as to why the Grand Canyon Concource exists .

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by jmarc63
Interesting..... Well maybe you could answer this Question for me?. Back in the 70s when I was going to WDW twice a year and would always stay at the Contempoary, I noticed that when the charaters would leave after a "Chacater Caravan" at the Feista Fun Center the charaters would head for a door in the stair Core by Front desk/lobby area. I could have sworn that it was a stair way and they went down the stairs. I was always under the impression that it connected to a Utilidor back to MK.

nope... It goes to a greenroom, and then to a loading dock behind the resort, where the characters are picked up.

Characters at resorts always break at their resorts- Nowhere else

Mickey....... One posibility of Walt being attribitued to have done anything at WDW is maytbe these people dont realize when walt died. Or after Walts death Roy had to take over the rains to campleat Construction of Phase one. When Roy did, he tried to incorporate all of what Walt wanted to build in Floridia. One of the biggest fight Disney had was in having the Monorail go thru the Contempoary and the Architech said they didn't want to build it that way and Walt wanted it to, That was the whole plan as to why the Grand Canyon Concource exists .

Just wanted to say...this is 110% TRUE----- The firm said we are not making this hotel look like a train station...and Roy said.....go back and do what we asked...and well there it is!!!!!!!!!!

Pioneer Hall

The architect isn't the one who didn't want it going through the resort. It was the safety people who said that it might be dangerous (obviously we know it isn't). They fought it though because Roy and the Architects needed it to work to give the resort the futuristic feel.

jmarc63

Originally posted by DisneyInsider

The architect isn't the one who didn't want it going through the resort. It was the safety people who said that it might be dangerous (obviously we know it isn't). They fought it though because Roy and the Architects needed it to work to give the resort the futuristic feel.

BTW If you dont know how WDW property works. They set up the Ready Creek Improvement District. they decide all building codes and provides the saftey inspections for WDW property. and the buildings were up tp RCID codes so that was not the reason it was the archectual firm that was the dispite, It was even mentioned on several programs about WDW running around on Discovery Networks cable somewhere.

prberk

Originally posted by dalton30720
That tunnel may exist but it's not shown on the utilidor map. I've heard many rumors about it but have never seen any evidence of it.

Does anyone have one of these Utililidor maps, or is it posted on this site anywhere? I would love to see one that overlays the outside map on the Utilidor map....

RobFL

Account Suspended
Some people have these maps.

They're part of the Cast Atlas, given to the Cast, which, i will remind some folks, IS NOT TO BE GIVEN OUT. :mad:

-Rob

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by RobFL
Some people have these maps.

They're part of the Cast Atlas, given to the Cast, which, i will remind some folks, IS NOT TO BE GIVEN OUT. :mad:

-Rob

true Rob,

but at one time, tour guides w/ Backstage Magic and KTTK distributed them, thus allowing for "legal" copies to surface.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom