Trying to get my 9 year old to go on RNR..Help?

dixiegirl

Original Poster
Ok so last year hubby was in line with our daughter to go on RNR...Well evidently she was literally a smidge to small from being let on....Ok fine we'll try this year...Yeah she is so against going on it s not even funny...Why you ask...The freakin loop..Thats all...She's done Everest, and Space Mountain, Splash Mountain you name it.....and loved them ..Believe me we are not the type of parents to take a crying ,sreaming child on a ride they don't want to (not worth it and would not do that to other guests.)
..but we basically promised her everything( yes I know horrible ) but she wants nothing...
And I know once she trys it, she'll love it....I even showed her video on You tube and she said "thats it"? "that does'nt look that bad."...But she still says no...Any Advice??

TheDisneyMagic

I had the exact same issue with my girl friend, she had never been one for rides and couldn't face doing Rock 'n' Roller Coaster or any major thrill ride in Florida, eventually I took her to Paris and literally dragged her on Space Mountain: Mission 2 (She clang to the hand rails so tight I literally had to carry her on). She is now addicted to coasters and a thrill ride junkie.

As for a child, I would never force them to do anything they don't feel comftable, you will find one day they will just think, I want to try that ride now, and they will either love it or hate it. If you force them to do it now and they don't like it, it will stop them ever going on them.

To be honest, you really dont notice your even going through a loop because its so dark and fast. Try to tell her that. Or take her up to the line and show her all the other kids her age going on it. I had the same problem with my little cousin. He is 9 also and I was trying to get him to go on an upside down rollercoaster at Wildwood NJ and he would not. I dont get it because he has been on Rockin Rollercoaster plenty of times and will not go on the coasters down the shore. I dont know, kids are confusing. I know Disney cast members wont let you ride if you are screaming crying or freaking out lol...Good luck!!

cblodg

As for a child, I would never force them to do anything they don't feel comftable, you will find one day they will just think, I want to try that ride now, and they will either love it or hate it. If you force them to do it now and they don't like it, it will stop them ever going on them.

BINGO!

Don't force them to go on. As has been mentioned, if a kid is screaming and crying, the CM won't put them on the ride.

I personally hate rollercoasters in all forms. I did RnRC because the rest of my family did it. I didn't even notice the loops because we weren't in the front (closer to the middle) and it was dark and movie too fast.

If he chooses to go on, tell him to press his body against the seat and just try to focus on the music coming out of the head rest. That's what I do and I have no problems going on that ride now.

dixiegirl

Original Poster
Oh I would never ever force her by any means....But I mean she loves Everest....Go figure! Yeah thats a kid for you!

djpoore94

As a kid I was forced to go on a roller coaster that I was terrified of because "we paid good money for you to come here, you're going to ride" (so said my father). I hated EVERY minute of that ride and didn't really have much fun the entire day. To this day I will only go on the really tame coasters.

If she really doesn't want to ride, I wouldn't make her. She may get there and change her mind, but even if she doesn't I wouldn't try to push her.

foreverbelle

I wouldn't push her into anything she doesn't want to do. If its not in her comfort zone it took me forever to ride a coaster like RNRC and I was a lot older than 9.

But

How long has she been riding the roller coaster? Maybe she just needs some more time?

I know how ya feel...you know she'll really enjoy it but you can't make her believe it! My son was the same way...we just waited another year until he decided he was ready, that's about all you can do. She has to decide she's comfortable with it. There was no point in pressing the issue, that just made him more anxious over it and really dig his heel in about how he didn't want to ride it. Not worth getting worked up over...just give it another year. :shrug:

mastif

I'm now in my mid 20's but when I was your daughters age I was the same way. I loved roller coasters, but anything with a loop just plaine scared me. Then one day I went to a six flags with a friends family (prolly 14or 15 at this time) and myfriends all wanted to go on a coaster with a few loops. Well, i didn't want to look like a wimp, so i went on it. For The rest of the day we tried all the coasters, loops or not, and i loved it!!! I have no problem with coasters anymore:sohappy:

luvlifeinfl

We were in the same situation a few yrs ago. Our DD- now 10 was just a hair 2 short two yrs ago, so we said ok next yr (last yr) for what ever reason she just panic and could not do it. Well after a while for going to other rides and then seeing other kids around her age & height getting in line. She finally just said ok I will go. We looked shock because earlier she was like heck no.

So just go do not pressure her, do not even talk about it, thye are also coming into that age of control their surrondings. also though do not deprive yourself of going on the ride, even if you have to do single rider and your DW have to take turns riding so that.

Also tell your DD that she does not have to ride, but have her wait in line with you so she can just go in and experaince that atomosphere.

You will be surprised on how much she will get up the courage deciding to go.

Oh and btw, it is my DD's fav. ride.

rsoxguy

To the OP:
Please be careful. Although RNR has long been a "must do" for my daughter, I initially had her ride it when she was very young. She bravely went on this ride without a single complaint and proceeded to cry during the entire ride. The intensity completely freaked her out. I can't remember feeling more guilty. Please be sure that your daughter is ready for this ride.

amaley01

Our 10 yr DD wants nothing to do with RnRC, Everest & M:S .... :brick:
yet my 7 yr DD (who wasn't tall enough yet) was begging us - go figure:shrug:

Now that she is, I've told my DH that we just have to go back ;)

DisneyLeo18

I'm heading down in December with a best friend of mine (20) and his younger brother (16) and they want nothing to do with any of the roller coasters. He keeps telling me he won't go on because he doesn't like loops or big drops, but I'm going to make him :lol:.

Of course with a 9 y/o its different. Some kids are late bloomers (if ever) with thrill rides. I didn't experience ToT until i was 15 i think, and now I will go on every thrill ride i can find. I was first forced on BTMR and screamed the whole time but it opened my eyes to say hey, maybe i can try SM and some others. If shes not too bad i say make her go on. If shes screaming, crying, clinging to anything nailed to the ground.. I would wait til she's ready :wave:

DisneyGigi

Tell her that she is not allowed to go on RnRC. It will almost guarantee that she will want to ride it.:lol:

:ROFLOL:You are so right! What is it with kids and reverse psychology?

I would ride it without her with no pressure and let her see how much you enjoyed it. By not making a big deal of things and letting it go sometimes my kids cave and try something new if they think I don't care if they do or not.

If the backwards part in EE doesn't bother her, especially the end where it holds you in that incline before you go forward RnRC's loop is nothing.

mickeymatt

My daughter is 5 and I thought that maybe this is the year I will take her on haunted mansion but she would have none of it. We bribed her and reasoned with her but ultimately I had to just leave it alone. I guess I will wait until she decides that she can handle it. I feel your pain.:(

dixiegirl

Original Poster
:ROFLOL:You are so right! What is it with kids and reverse psychology?

I would ride it without her with no pressure and let her see how much you enjoyed it. By not making a big deal of things and letting it go sometimes my kids cave and try something new if they think I don't care if they do or not.

If the backwards part in EE doesn't bother her, especially the end where it holds you in that incline before you go forward RnRC's loop is nothing.

Don't you just love master yoda???...The backwards part of EE doesn't bother her.....she loves that ride, which like I said she'll go on that but not RNR....Someone had mentioned taking her on so she can check out the inside but not nessesary ride it, can you do that ?? Not to sound moronic But I did'nt know If I could do that??And then swap her with hubby?
Because whether or not she's going I know hubby and I will switch off the kiddos because we aren't missing out!
Sad thing is my youngest who is 5 wants to go on sooo bad but she just has a couple of years to go...Last year she was so excited that she could finally go on TOT....SHe loved it ( she's my little daredevil)!!!...But yet my oldest did'nt go on it, go figure!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Don't you just love master yoda???...The backwards part of EE doesn't bother her.....she loves that ride, which like I said she'll go on that but not RNR....Someone had mentioned taking her on so she can check out the inside but not nessesary ride it, can you do that ?? Not to sound moronic But I did'nt know If I could do that??And then swap her with hubby?
Because whether or not she's going I know hubby and I will switch off the kiddos because we aren't missing out!
Sad thing is my youngest who is 5 wants to go on sooo bad but she just has a couple of years to go...Last year she was so excited that she could finally go on TOT....SHe loved it ( she's my little daredevil)!!!...But yet my oldest did'nt go on it, go figure!
Yes you can. The chicken exit is right at the load area. She will be able to see the preshow and the launch but not the track. Just tell her to go that far and if she want's to back out she can. With any luck the peer pressure will get to her.:drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom