trying to decide on a resort-- PoR, or wilderness

RNRguy

we are making preperation to book return to the world in feb.2010.. and we have all we need but we are looking at two resorts.. we cant decide..
so any insight!.. pro. vs. con. maybe? anything really!

port olreans - riverside

wilderness lodge

thanks much

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
we are making preperation to book return to the world in feb.2010.. and we have all we need but we are looking at two resorts.. we cant decide..
so any insight!.. pro. vs. con. maybe? anything really!

port olreans - riverside

wilderness lodge

thanks much

We loved Wilderness Lodge! That would be my choice! :wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

WL is a Deluxe resort.
POR is a Moderate resort.

Deluxe usually wins over Moderate.
Have fun.
:)

Yep, I'm going to agree.

We love the WL (have stayed there over 10 times). It warm, friendly and quite beautiful. The restaurants run from a quick snack bar to the loud and fun Whispering Canyon Cafe & then there is the more quiet, romantic Artist Point.

You can take the boat to the Contemporary & hit the monorail, take the over to the MK or use the bus service. I know many people have complained about the bus service, but in all the times we have stayed we really have not had any problems. You can watch the Electrical Water Pageant from the dock or beach of the WL as well as the terrace above the patio.
We love having a cup of coffee (or tea or hot chocolate) and sitting in one of the big rockers in front of the fireplace or relax on one of the leather couches (there are also nooks on the other floors to relax in). The WL is our home away from home. :)

Upvote 0

hawkwood

I also would definitely have to say go with Wilderness Lodge. My wife and I like both PoR and WL, but since one of the pleasures we enjoy is a nice sit-down breakfast, we have foregone Port Orleans because they shut down the restaurant for breakfast, leaving only the counter service.
With the passholder specials and rates lately, we can stay at WL for not much more than what we used to pay for PoR. By far the better choice!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Both are favorites of mine and are aesthetically pleasing. If you can afford the deluxe then go with Wilderness Lodge for the closer proximatey to the Magic Kingdom. If money is playing an important role go with the moderate Riverside.

Riverside;
boat to Downtown Disney
boat and bike rentals
5 pools
catch and release fishing
2 doubles or a king in the room
refrigerator
sit down restaurant for dinner only
food court
Must take bus to all parks

Wilderness Lodge;
Boat to Magic Kingdom,Contemporary or Fort Wilderness
Geyser that goes off every hour from 7am-10pm
rentals including boat and bike
fishing excursion
1 pool plus a beach, kiddie pool and 2 whirlpools and the use of the pool and whirlpool near the Villas.
Health Club
2 queens, 1 king, 1 queen and bunk beds
2 sit down restaurants and a quick service restaurant

Any information or help needed in booking please feel free to contact me.

Pam

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Having stayed at both places for as long as 10 days in a row, its a hard pick. First off, I'm an outdoors guy who has been to most of the must-see national parks. So the Lodge is wicked awesome no matter how many times you stay there or just visit it.

Port Orleans is nice and offers the huge perk of being able to go to DTD without using the buses. For me, that right there makes it a super feature since I think the DTD bus system is a joke even when not busy. being able to take the water taxi from POR to DTD is a great trip in itself.

Each place is great and worth the money....except for 1 thing that drove me nuts about the Lodge. The only real counter service is Roaring Forks and it has a tiny menu with only 2 registers to check out. There are 700+ rooms in this hotel!! It's insanely congested in the morning and after a few days in a row of the same choices: scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, or a yogurt parfait...its too monotonous. POR on the other hand, you can get a custom made omelette and just about anything else you can think of for breakfast, yet the "deluxe" lodge has 3 or 4 things on the menu. It became a real downer to start each day at the lodge and instead, we had to get up a little earlier and go find places around WDW to eat. Not a show stopper, but certainly something you would not expect from a "deluxe" hotel, IMHO.

And when it comes down to it...it's Disney. Any hotel basically rocks!

Upvote 0

bill1827

both are right choices - what experience r u seeking?

Port Orleans Riverside is incredibly beautiful - massive landscaping, meandering paths, varied architectural styles, and its own river whose water taxis take you to Downtown Disney. Stepping out in the morning or getting back late at night, you feel right at home.

Wilderness Lodge is beautiful in its own right - rich in nature, a walking path to Fort Wilderness, soaring architecture, and Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon boating. Like Port Orleans, it is very easy to feel comfortable in.

Being a deluxe resort, WL has more intricate and robust details, however that is not saying it is better than PoR, just different. There is no shortage of visuals with either resort. We have found the experience take-away from both areas to be equal.

As far as proximity to Magic Kingdom, in our trips, the transportation from PoR is just as a breeze as from WL - the time difference is negligible. While the boat from WL to MK is more anticipatory, the water taxi from PoR to DTD is more romantic and secret. Therefore both offer distinctly appealing locations and waterway transportation.

So independent of budget, both resorts are the right choice and your decision should be based on the experience you are seeking - down home south or northwest hideaway?

Further, if you visit WDW once every five years or less often, and your budget permits, then go with Wilderness Lodge to soak in the extra details. If you are on a budget go with PoR and be fully assured your experience/memories will not be short changed. If you go more often or are planning on more frequent visits in the future, choose whatever fits your current sense of adventure, but be sure to change it up next time.

We switch it up and always leave both with equally lasting and memorable impressions.

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

I have never stayed at POR and WL is my favorite resort, so I am a bit biased. So I guess I would have to say that WL would get my vote. I absolutely love the scenery, the feel and the look of the place. We to are heading down in February, and think that the fireplaces and the lodgey feel of the WL would be a perfect fit for the winter time.

Though either way I am sure you couldn't go wrong and you will have a fablous time at either.

Upvote 0

mickey7879

I've never stayed at either, but will be staying at POR in a few weeks. I've always wanted to stay at WL though. But since we live in Northern Maine, wouldn't get the "woods view". I get enough of that all the time! If I could stay at a deluxe this time I would in a heartbeat! Close to MK, lake and love the lobby. Definitely stay at WL!

Upvote 0

RNRguy

Original Poster
thanks to all and pam - thanks for the break down..

i think me and my mom , btw is helping me plan this trip.. dad dont care. so .. i think we have and or leaning toward wl.. so with that said .. i need some details on the best view / room to see the fireworks from the Mk and the water parade..? and what rooms are the bunk beds in.. bc see we will have 4 adults.. ? so how big are the bunk bed could a regualr size adult fit in one?

this is moms thinking the parents get the bed.. and me and my friend get the bunk beds... ? would that work?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

thanks to all and pam - thanks for the break down..

i think me and my mom , btw is helping me plan this trip.. dad dont care. so .. i think we have and or leaning toward wl.. so with that said .. i need some details on the best view / room to see the fireworks from the Mk and the water parade..? and what rooms are the bunk beds in.. bc see we will have 4 adults.. ? so how big are the bunk bed could a regualr size adult fit in one?

this is moms thinking the parents get the bed.. and me and my friend get the bunk beds... ? would that work?

You may or may not be able to see the MK fireworks from the WL. At one time it was a given (from the 4th floor on up), but all of the trees have matured and blocked the view. While the storms in the past few years have topped some trees, it cannot be guaranteed. With that being said the rooms ending in _020 to _032 would be the ones to get (not sure if they are still considered a woods view or not, things have been changed), with 6032 being our favorite room on that side of the building.

The water pageant can be seen from the overlook above the pool or from the beach or dock (not sure of the room numbers on that side).
There are not very many bunk bed rooms, but I can tell you that they are not going to be comfortable for adults ( or even tall teens).

Upvote 0

Philo

We stayed at WL for part of our honeymoon last year and requested certain rooms (I can't remember what they are but check allears.net for more info). These rooms had a partical view of the magic kingdom. We could see the top of the monorail and the tops of the castle. We didn't stay in our room for Wishes but I'm sure it would have been a pretty decent view for all the higher up fireworks.

I can't remember seeing the water pageant but I'm not a big fan of that anyway.

Upvote 0

durangojim

WL is one of our favorites along with BC. You can't beat the theming, and the boat ride to and from the MK is wonderful and relaxing especially at night.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Stayed at both - Wilderness Lodge hands down.

Staying at Riverside next summer because we need 2 rooms, and right now, can't see swining cost of 2 WL rooms. If things change, so will our resort choice.

Upvote 0

RNRguy

Original Poster
we are in the finally hammer down stage.. and geting ready to send our stuff to my aun to be booked.. .. yaya!!.. wilderness lodge.. here we come.... feb. 3-8th!

hoping to send her the stuff this week start the magical count down!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Glad to see you picked the Lodge. You will love it!

And a word about being able to see the fireworks. I could see them no problem from room 5056. I think that was the room. Anyway, our balcony faced MK and could see the castle, etc. The problem is that those rooms are all over the area where the service deliveries come in and where all the trash is stored. You hear a lot of "beep-beep-beeep...." from the trucks. Also, the "smoke house" where all the BBQ is cooked is out there. I had no problem with it and it smelled awesome. however I do remember seeing an allearsnet review where a vegetarian flipped out and said how it ruined their whole trip. :ROFLOL:

Getting back to the fireworks, I could just open my curtains and watch right from my bed. It was cool. But if the kids go to bed early, those fireworks will absolutely rattle your windows!! Its amazing how far those shock waves travel!

enjoy! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

disneylemons

We were just at WL in may and had a room with bunk beds...they are not very big - I'm 5'4 and if I were any taller I wouldn't recommend it.. I had to sleep on top because my son broke his ankle the week before we went and couldn't climb up.. I would opt for 2 beds..

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom