News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

corran horn

We can’t know!

I guess it’s not as bad as Sausalito where people refused to accept that the construction was typical insulated metal panels and concocted all sorts of ”What if?” scenarios.

We can't know to what measure the canopy will obscure the building.

We can't know to what measure landscaping will obscure the building.

"loom over":

"loom over":

lazyboy97o

We can't know to what measure the canopy will obscure the building.

We can't know to what measure landscaping will obscure the building.
We know exactly where the canopy is going to be located because it has existed for years now. The canopy extends in front a single elevation. It does not wrap the building, it is not being radically redesigned to wrap the building. Landscaping that tall would stick out as a bunch of tall trees in narrow areas. Trees looming behind Space Mountain is not a better look.

corran horn

We know exactly where the canopy is going to be located because it has existed for years now. The canopy extends in front a single elevation. It does not wrap the building, it is not being radically redesigned to wrap the building. Landscaping that tall would stick out as a bunch of tall trees in narrow areas. Trees looming behind Space Mountain is not a better look.

So what view concerns you then? If landscaping borders the speedway it'll obscure the building from riders and not be obtrusive to SM at all.

The canopy in Shanghai seems to extend enough laterally that it'll obscure a good bit of view given the orientations we've seen.

_caleb

Right. I understand all that. Not only has the building existed for years in Shanghai, it currently exists (sans canopy) in Orlando. At this point, we can see how obtrusive it is and (will be) when viewed from outside the park and land.

What HASN’T existed is the walkway leading up to the attraction in Orlando. Will we walk up a slight hill in order to cross over the train) and then approach TRON from a slightly elevated perspective? If so, seems like that might obscure the entrance to the ride when viewed from TL. If the walkway is down on the same grade as the rest of TL, the canopy would certainly obscure more of the box from that perspective.

Also, the exterior panels on the box are different colors here than in Shanghai. It’s may not be much, but I count it as At least a bit of “customization.”

lazyboy97o

So what view concerns you then? If landscaping borders the speedway it'll obscure the building from riders and not be obtrusive to SM at all.

The canopy in Shanghai seems to extend enough laterally that it'll obscure a good bit of view given the orientations we've seen.
Every other direction besides walking straight towards it. You can see the thing behind Space Mountain coming across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Right. I understand all that. Not only has the building existed for years in Shanghai, it currently exists (sans canopy) in Orlando. At this point, we can see how obtrusive it is and (will be) when viewed from outside the park and land.

What HASN’T existed is the walkway leading up to the attraction in Orlando. Will we walk up a slight hill in order to cross over the train) and then approach TRON from a slightly elevated perspective? If so, seems like that might obscure the entrance to the ride when viewed from TL. If the walkway is down on the same grade as the rest of TL, the canopy would certainly obscure more of the box from that perspective.

Also, the exterior panels on the box are different colors here than in Shanghai. It’s may not be much, but I count it as At least a bit of “customization.”
You’re right that the view will be obscured directly in front, but that’s not much when so much more visible. Even then, there is nothing more to the elevations under the canopy, it too is the insulated metal panels that have been installed. Kynar 500 is available in all sorts of colors, so I’m not sure a differentlycolored warehouse counts for much, just adapting to local codes was more customization work.

Josh Hendy

After checking put the photos and concept art some more, I think that from within the park the Tron show building won't be a big problem. It's maybe about 2/3 of the height of SM.

But the canopy wrapped around Tron might stick out quite a bit and be a bit of a visual distraction from Space Mountain from some angles. For example looking at SM from the area of Astro Orbiter and CoP.

20200316_193231.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

Understood, just sayin' though. Maybe they'll surprise us??? I just sick of poo-pooing something before we see the finished product. I dunno, call me nuts, but not everything that Disney is/has/was done in the last decade has been bad.
Just because no everything they've done in the past decade is bad doesn't mean their treatment of the TRON showbuilding is good.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there basically isn't anyone who hates everything. There are just a bunch of people who don't all like everything. So as long as there's discussion it's bound to feel like there's a consistent undercurrent of poo-pooing when actually there's just a lot of people each seeing different facets of the topic. Even Disney's best projects have their detractors - I have some quibbles with Rise of the Resistance, but it doesn't mean I hate everything they do.

No Name

The view from storybook circus area, particularly the barnstormer queue, can be largely covered up with a wall or facade of some sort. The view from right under the canopy also straight up sucks, but that’s an issue contained within the attraction itself, and could theoretically be fixed with further investment. The view from Bay Lame Tower also sucks but they’re DVC folks so screw em!

The permanent damage is really the views from across the lake and especially from the express monorail where it obstructs the very nice views of Space Mountain.

I will say I’m a fan of the color choice for the box, only because it’s a case of, if you can’t play hide and seek, at least don’t try.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What's the height though? Is this a building that can be obscured by trees? I don't think it's anywhere near as tall as the Guardians building.

From inside the park, trees that are closer to the guest than to the building can easily block the building.

From outside the park... guests are less constrained and no amount of trees can block the building.

RSoxNo1

From inside the park, trees that are closer to the guest than to the building can easily block the building.

From outside the park... guests are less constrained and no amount of trees can block the building.
The perspective of the building from outside the park should really only affect Contemporary guests, correct?

Rich Brownn

Well, the load in Shanghai is technically on the 2nd floor anyways

No Name

The perspective of the building from outside the park should really only affect Contemporary guests, correct?

The Contemporary, the ferry, many views from across the lake, such as from the Polynesian, and worst of all, the express monorail. Those are just views I’ve seen personally.

I imagine it’s visible from almost every place with a distant view of Space Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom