News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

JoeCamel

I saw somewhere where Vortex at King's Island was closed down at the end of last year not because it wasn't a draw but because it had ended its expected 25-30 year lifespan. It made me wonder if something like TRON (or Slinky) is made of sterner stuff. They've got to have their lifetimes well past 25 years I figure. (Space Mountain is at least fully covered)
They demo'ed Hulk at IoA and rebuilt the same coaster at 20 years. IT runs more than the ones at KI but it was the same. Nightly welding is what WDW does I think.

trainplane3

They demo'ed Hulk at IoA and rebuilt the same coaster at 20 years. IT runs more than the ones at KI but it was the same. Nightly welding is what WDW does I think.
I believe Hulks rebuild was partially due to the Marvel contract. You have B&Ms running that are nearly 10 years older then it but are still plenty fine.
I saw somewhere where Vortex at King's Island was closed down at the end of last year not because it wasn't a draw but because it had ended its expected 25-30 year lifespan. It made me wonder if something like TRON (or Slinky) is made of sterner stuff. They've got to have their lifetimes well past 25 years I figure. (Space Mountain is at least fully covered)
The old Arrows are probably going to start coming down more often now. Most are old and nothing special so it really comes down to maintenance costs. Even ridership isn't enough to save them anymore. But then you have iconic rides like, for example, Viper and Magnum (only a few years younger then Vortex) which will probably stand through the next 5 apocalypse's.

JoeCamel

I believe Hulks rebuild was partially due to the Marvel contract. You have B&Ms running that are nearly 10 years older then it but are still plenty fine.

The old Arrows are probably going to start coming down more often now. Most are old and nothing special so it really comes down to maintenance costs. Even ridership isn't enough to save them anymore. But then you have iconic rides like, for example, Viper and Magnum (only a few years younger then Vortex) which will probably stand through the next 5 apocalypse's.
Might have been pushed by the contract but there were structural issues with the footings so it had reached the end of its life. It runs far more than the older coasters at the seasonal parks. It is hours running that determines the lifespan not years in operation.

Rich Brownn

What would the Marvel contract have to do with basically rebuilding the exact same coaster? I think there must have been some extended wear and tear for some reason (I do notice the supports are slightly different).

JoeCamel

What would the Marvel contract have to do with basically rebuilding the exact same coaster? I think there must have been some extended wear and tear for some reason (I do notice the supports are slightly different).
I think he meant the because it was worn the contract requires all Marvel themed to be in good repair as to not hurt the brand.

trainplane3

Might have been pushed by the contract but there were structural issues with the footings so it had reached the end of its life. It runs far more than the older coasters at the seasonal parks. It is hours running that determines the lifespan not years in operation.
True. I think @Gringrinngghost may know some more about this one.
I think he meant the because it was worn the contract requires all Marvel themed to be in good repair as to not hurt the brand.
That's what I was thinking since it was plussed after the rebuild.

Rich Brownn

While it had gotten rough, there's nothing that was there that would have activated that part of the contract. In fact, it's still rough. (I firmly believe they changed the cars but left the original chassis in place).

Gringrinngghost

I’ve not heard anything about structural issues for the original iteration of Hulk. However the original was never designed to be launched the way they did it, one that to my understanding they did. Secondly Hulk used massive amounts of power, that if they didn’t have their turbine room, it would have brown out the local area with every launch.

I was told that Hulk was a new coaster entirely and that its one that was going to be scrapped from another park as Hulk. So it was basically a free attraction. Additionally given how long they ran it, B&M and Universal Creative most likely figured out ways to reduce the stress of the ride (to a certain extent) that didnt require nightly welding that Hulk and Dragons required (Dragons and it’s successor Hagrids is a whole other nightmare.)

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
So has their hotel rates and park fees and that's being kind...still no excuse

Again not defending anyone here but the average cost of hotels in 2001 was $83 average cost of hotel in 2019 was $131. That is an increase of 57% over 20 years.

Everyone keeps complaining about the crazy cost of things but in the past 20 years the cost of everything has gone up so much so fast.... The price of a full service burger and fries was $5.99 today the cost is 9.99 that is a cost increase of 67%.

Everyone keeps talking about crazy increases but the fact that we have continued to fight for higher labor rates for people and rates going up and up cost are going to go up and up.

You cannot expect any business to just let their bottom lines shrink the cost is always passed on the consumer.

It is crazy how fast cost have gotten out of control but it is not just Disney it is everywhere..... Just think how much property taxes have gone up across the country etc cost are out of control and it is forcing people to raise prices to keep doors open! Small business have to raise prices which means bigger business will follow or undercut pricing to push more people to shut down....

It is a nasty nasty cycle but the cost of everything is just crazy and won't stop until the cost to business stop going up faster then they are raising prices.

lazyboy97o

Again not defending anyone here but the average cost of hotels in 2001 was $83 average cost of hotel in 2019 was $131. That is an increase of 57% over 20 years.

Everyone keeps complaining about the crazy cost of things but in the past 20 years the cost of everything has gone up so much so fast.... The price of a full service burger and fries was $5.99 today the cost is 9.99 that is a cost increase of 67%.

Everyone keeps talking about crazy increases but the fact that we have continued to fight for higher labor rates for people and rates going up and up cost are going to go up and up.

You cannot expect any business to just let their bottom lines shrink the cost is always passed on the consumer.

It is crazy how fast cost have gotten out of control but it is not just Disney it is everywhere..... Just think how much property taxes have gone up across the country etc cost are out of control and it is forcing people to raise prices to keep doors open! Small business have to raise prices which means bigger business will follow or undercut pricing to push more people to shut down....

It is a nasty nasty cycle but the cost of everything is just crazy and won't stop until the cost to business stop going up faster then they are raising prices.
Still not greater than 100%.

Rich Brownn

I’ve not heard anything about structural issues for the original iteration of Hulk. However the original was never designed to be launched the way they did it, one that to my understanding they did. Secondly Hulk used massive amounts of power, that if they didn’t have their turbine room, it would have brown out the local area with every launch.

I was told that Hulk was a new coaster entirely and that its one that was going to be scrapped from another park as Hulk. So it was basically a free attraction. Additionally given how long they ran it, B&M and Universal Creative most likely figured out ways to reduce the stress of the ride (to a certain extent) that didnt require nightly welding that Hulk and Dragons required (Dragons and it’s successor Hagrids is a whole other nightmare.)
No, Hulk was 1) always designed to be a coaster at IOA. and 2) It was always designed to be a launch coaster. However, at the time, B&M did not build launches so Universal experimented with various launch methods (somewhere there's videos of them testing them).

lazyboy97o

No, Hulk was 1) always designed to be a coaster at IOA. and 2) It was always designed to be a launch coaster. However, at the time, B&M did not build launches so Universal experimented with various launch methods (somewhere there's videos of them testing them).
The Incredible Hulk at Islands of Adventure is not the only version of that coaster that has been manufactured. A copy was manufactured for Universal Studios Dubailand as a King Kong coaster and some believe that coaster is now the second iteration of The Incredible Hulk having been referred to as “Hulk in a Box” due to its years in storage. My understanding is that the new Hulk was a new build with the Kong coaster possibly still being somewhere in the UAE as the park was a licensing deal so Universal never would have owned the coaster. A third/fourth copy has now been manufactured for Universal Studios Beijing to be the Decepticon coaster in the Transformers land.

B&M was not involved in developing or integrating the launch. It was not just an issue of them not doing launches (almost everyone uses the same technology from the same German manufacturer) but then not wanting a launch.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Caught this on Streaming the Magic's live stream this morning. Looks like they are putting up temporary supports to allow them to build the canopy. You can see similar structures in the Shanghai picture posted below.

1583762683405.png

Shanghai:
1583762791407.png

Giss Neric

We watched a POV of this ride before riding it in Shanghai cause I'm with my cousin who is afraid of rollercoasters. It looks short when you watch it but I think the length is fine. There are a lot of mid brakes in the ride but the way you're positioned makes it more intense than just sitting so the sensation is very different than a typical sit-down coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom