News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
I was bored today, so using @EricsBiscuit picture from about a week ago, I decided to add on what the big blue box would look like from the outside of the park. I don't have many photoshop skills so it's a bit rough, but it gives you an idea.

View attachment 399254
I'm excited to ride this, but I would be lying to say that it's going to suck just to see a simple showbuilding right next to this amazingly crafted "Space station." Oh well. Again, still excited to ride it though.

Surfin' Tuna

It is going to look awful from several places inside the park. It's in the wrong place in the wrong park to begin with, but it would be nice if it was a little less obnoxious about butting in there. As far as EE goes, the back is only obvious from Blizzard Beach unless you are backstage. Pandora...yes, that's bad, but it's not MK. I think most people tend to hold the Magic Kingdom as a little more special.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why does the sightline from outside the park matter that much? Everest has a flat side outside the park and the show building for the Pandora attractions is obviously visible. As long as it's not visible from inside the park, it shouldn't matter that much.
The mountain was orientated to specifically look good from Seven Seas. The false roof angle and spires were deliberately angled to give a false perspective look from the lagoon and arriving guests.

Some people get it, some don’t.

Marc Davis Fan

I think most people tend to hold the Magic Kingdom as a little more special.

The mountain was orientated to specifically look good from Seven Seas. The false roof angle and spires were deliberately angled to give a false perspective look from the lagoon and arriving guests.

And more broadly, the views of the MK "skyline" - from across the Seven Seas Lagoon and from the monorails/ferries as one approaches Disney's flagship park - is one of the most extraordinary sights at any Disney property. Each element that was added over the years (Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Splash) took this into consideration and was designed to improve the skyline further.* And now the whole thing is being disregarded.

*It's also an example of something that cannot be replicated at Disney's competition up the road, making it even more important for Disney to maintain.

When I visited Shanghai Disneyland and stayed at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, one of the things I was most surprised by was the poor sightlines from across Wishing Star Lake. Shanghai semi-replicates the Seven Seas Lagoon setup by having a big lake in front of the park and the flagship hotel directly across it and accessible by ferryboat. But, for example, the huge, square, warehouse-like show building of Soaring Over The Horizon is one of the most prominent things in the skyline - which of course totally breaks the whole "immersion in another world" that one gets (for now) in places like the shores of the Polynesian or Grand Floridian.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Some people get it, some don’t.

You're abilities to keep an even keel are more and more impressive, considering how much you're tagged on, ahem, not so smart, questions.

Not even joking. You've evolved over the years.

Crazydisneyfanluke

You're abilities to keep an even keel are more and more impressive, considering how much you're tagged on, ahem, not so smart, questions.

Not even joking. You've evolved over the years.
I must say, i have learned a lot from Martin over the years (Disney History, but mainly how to interact with fools). He ensures everything is grounded in reality.
tenor.gif

Hopefully us fellow Brits can meet one day over a nice pint!

rle4lunch

I must say, i have learned a lot from Martin over the years (Disney History, but mainly how to interact with fools). He ensures everything is grounded in reality.
tenor.gif

Me too. His subtle hints are fun to decode as well.
I'm only ancestral British. Family crossed the pond from Wales in 1664. But I'm sure you were talking to Martin on that one.

Movielover

tenor.gif

Me too. His subtle hints are fun to decode as well.
I'm only ancestral British. Family crossed the pond from Wales in 1664. But I'm sure you were talking to Martin on that one.

Mind if a Scottish decedent joins in? First round's on me!

eddie104

I don’t mind it as much. Idk why but I just don’t mind it. Maybe bc I enjoyed Tron so much.
Maybe I’m not a big Disney fan like other people but certain things like this don’t bother me. I understand why people are mad about the GOTG box at Epcot but I don’t see how this is going to be very visible besides the canopy is going to be hiding some of it I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom