News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also, this is probably a good time to summon @MisterPenguin for his awesome comprehensive list of length of construction time of the latest attractions.

justintheharris

Why the condescending tone?
And just because a third theme park hasn't been announced to you personally doesn't mean it isn't 100% greenlit (and it is 100% greenlit).
Because you're ranting about Disney being slow to build an attraction and comparing them to Universal without even considering the different situations Disney and Universal are in. Universal seems to focus on one thing at a time while Disney is trying to do several things at once.

RSoxNo1

I wonder, how could you differentiate Space Mountain to make it more distinct from Tron?

Less abstract modernism? More literal, more NASA like?
Or maybe lean into the 70's / Space Odessey / Outer Space Lounge vibe?
Move it to Epcot and have it be a trip to Brava Centauri?

Buried20KLeague

Did it occur to you that Disney is building Star Wars land, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy, a skyliner system, new hotels and more all while trying to construct Tron? Universal had nothing to focus on other than Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure. Reminder before you reply: a third theme park is not officially confirmed nor is the Jurassic park roller coaster.

I was unaware there is a finite supply of construction crews in Orlando.

it’s about money, and always has been with TDO. To think otherwise is apologist and naive.

lazyboy97o

I'm confused as to why it is taking this long to build a roller coaster 🤔 this should have been opened a year after it was announced. Same with Guardians
The facility was not even designed when the attraction was announced.

The only ride I know of scale that was built in less than a year was Transformers, and that's because it was an exact clone. Tron, as close as it is, is not exact to Shanghai's construction. Transformers was pretty much exact, down to the same flaws they experienced during the first construction.
The effort to review and adjust for code still had to be undertaken as a building designed for the California Building Standards Code would not meet the requirements of the Florida Building Code.

Did it occur to you that Disney is building Star Wars land, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy, a skyliner system, new hotels and more all while trying to construct Tron? Universal had nothing to focus on other than Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure. Reminder before you reply: a third theme park is not officially confirmed nor is the Jurassic park roller coaster.
Neither Disney nor Universal act as their own general contractor. Neither is doing the majority of the building and each project has its own team of creative people, many who will be full time on that single project. Being officially confirmed is a dumb requirement as by that measure lots of projects are somehow started after construction has begun.

GlacierGlacier

The effort to review and adjust for code still had to be undertaken as a building designed for the California Building Standards Code would not meet the requirements of the Florida Building Code.
Indeed. However, still being a national move instead of an international move makes it less of a hassle. Shanghai's building codes, not to mention utility standards, material availiability, etc. are likely a bit more different compared to Florida than the changes from California to Florida.

lazyboy97o

Indeed. However, still being a national move instead of an international move makes it less of a hassle. Shanghai's building codes, not to mention utility standards, material availiability, etc. are likely a bit more different compared to Florida than the changes from California to Florida.
Big issues like climate and soil conditions are still different. Transformers was not accomplished because it was easier, but because of a massive commitment the likes of which Universal is not interested in repeating.

HoldenC

The facility was not even designed when the attraction was announced
I mean no?? Wasnt it already open at SDL?? I guess I'm just confused and ill informed at how this stuff works. But it truly shouldn't be more than taking the blueprints and copy and pasting. Please inform because you seem to be extremely knowledgable on the subject

lazyboy97o

I mean no?? Wasnt it already open at SDL?? I guess I'm just confused and ill informed at how this stuff works. But it truly shouldn't be more than taking the blueprints and copy and pasting. Please inform because you seem to be extremely knowledgable on the subject

justintheharris

The facility was not even designed when the attraction was announced.

Neither Disney nor Universal act as their own general contractor. Neither is doing the majority of the building and each project has its own team of creative people, many who will be full time on that single project. Being officially confirmed is a dumb requirement as by that measure lots of projects are somehow started after construction has begun.
There is a pressure to complete announced projects by a deadline more so than unannounced ones USUALLY. In most case scenarios, Disney or Universal will feel more pressure to finish up a project that has already been announced than to really fixate on one that has not been.

lazyboy97o

There is a pressure to complete announced projects by a deadline more so than unannounced ones USUALLY. In most case scenarios, Disney or Universal will feel more pressure to finish up a project that has already been announced than to really fixate on one that has not been.
Not usually. Unannounced projects still have deadlines. This idea that there is only a small team of Imagineers or Universal Creatives working on everything is not true. Projects get dedicated staff who are not going to be concerned about the announced project they are not working.

No Name

Space Mountain sure as hell won’t be “embarrassed” to have better sightlines and placement than either hella expensive coaster being built 50 years later. The fact that both the Tron and GotG coasters have exteriors that are revealing in ways I only expect at a park like Six Flags is sad. Thematically Space Mountain is obviously stronger as well. It needs work but there’s a reason it’s iconic, and that’s because they gave a about it in relation to what’s around.

justintheharris

Not usually. Unannounced projects still have deadlines. This idea that there is only a small team of Imagineers or Universal Creatives working on everything is not true. Projects get dedicated staff who are not going to be concerned about the announced project they are not working.
I'm well aware there are individual teams working on everything. But resources can be diverted from one project to another if necessary. Allegedly that's what's been happening with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway and Star Wars land. Star Wars land has been taking up all the resources which is why Runaway Railway has been delayed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Those things not being announced doesn't change the fact that construction work is happening right now. So Universal was working on Hagrid, Jurassic Park Coaster, Terminator 3D replacement, Today Show Cafe, two new resorts and the land prep for a third gate at the same time. Yes, not as much as Disney, but it's not accurate to say Hagrid was the only thing they were working on.

justintheharris

Those things not being announced doesn't change the fact that construction work is happening right now. So Universal was working on Hagrid, Jurassic Park Coaster, Terminator 3D replacement, Today Show Cafe, two new resorts and the land prep for a third gate at the same time. Yes, not as much as Disney, but it's not accurate to say Hagrid was the only thing they were working on.
We still don't know for fact whether or not Universal is indeed building a third gate. Does it seem likely right now? Of course. Is it a guarantee? No. For all we know, they could still surprise us and say "we're building 20 new hotels." Nothing is official until announced to the public. And there's not nearly as much pressure to finish a project with no announced completion date as there is for a roller coaster that had an opening date of June 13th. I'm simply saying that projects with announced completion dates are going to receive more attention and have more pressure to complete than a project that has no exact completion date and can have its completion pushed back without the public ever really knowing about it.

justintheharris

I can 100% confirm that is NOT what happened with Runaway Railway. You guys can believe me or not believe me. But that is not the MMRRR tea.
Well I don't believe you and I know some people close to the project. I don't give specifics or ask them for specifics usually nor do I want to give out any information that could get them into trouble. All I've been told is part of the reason they're running behind is because Star Wars is receiving all the focus at the expense of Runaway Railway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom