News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

Never said exact, but keep moving those goal posts. Merely said the rides are obviously similar. Sitting in a coaster zooming around a mostly black void with projection elements. Both have cold stark designs with blue tones. To pretend they aren't similar is pretty obtuse.

You can admit that and still be excited for it. No problem with people liking it.

No one's pretending. You can throw out ignorant and obtuse all you want. We're just going in circles because you keep insisting you're right. This is all honestly a silly argument. It's coming. They're similar. Some of us care, some of us don't. We should all move on. Do you feel better hearing they're similar? lol

I'm actually not even that excited for it, I don't do a lot of coasters (but it looks cool and I will ride it and I really don't mind it's coming; I've also said they could have used the money better, but I'm not going to dislike it because of that). But I don't care that it was Space Mountain's replacement in Shanghai or that they're similar. I haven't tried to deny they're similar. So what that you're restrained? The cars are still different.

But if some want to cling to how inappropriate it is, go for it. Meanwhile, crickets are chirping in the Guardians thread.

Last edited:

Kman101

Poster A: "TRON sucks and is a terrible fit and will be too similar to Space Mountain!!! You're stupid if you disagree."
Poster B: "No, TRON is awesome and is a great fit and is nothing like Space Mountain!!! You're the stupid one for disagreeing with me."
Poster A: "Stop persecuting me for my opinions!"
Poster B: "No! You stop persecuting ME for mine!"

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

So ... just about every other thread too then? lol

Some posters just like to feel superior it seems (not you! lol). To each their own.

RSoxNo1

Why not?

The movie is a take on the future or "tomorrow" you might say. Humans existing in virtual space and AI existing in real space. I've seen numerous articles recently saying we are getting closer to this becoming a reality. I think in 50yrs people will look back on Tron the way we look at the late 60s Star Trek and see our everyday devices envisioned (smart phones, data discs, voice interaction with computers, massive databases, etc.)

Justsayinzall.
My opposition to Tron isn't on theme, it's on what the Magic Kingdom needs. Magic Kingdom needs high capacity rides and Tron isn't that. You could also argue that Adventureland is in need of something more than Tomorrowland.

Thematically I have no opposition with Tron, and I really don't have a problem with it going to the Magic Kingdom. They just needed 2-3 more Little Mermaid type additions first. While that ride isn't without it's faults it's a 2000+ per hour attraction that helps spread the crowds. Alternatively, Shanghai Pirates has a similar cost as what Tron is costing WDW, has huge capacity and every guest on the planet can ride it.

ProfSavage

0ee917a5c0788f1181611870ff8d02733c0ed6df46ea7107dd6ccc58079e8591.jpg

WDW Guru 4 Life

Two Sci-fi based indoor rollercoasters in the dark?
Aren't all the rides in TL technically Sci-fi though? Excluding Cop of course. That's basically the theme of the land now. Also, it is virtually impossible to create a sci-fi atmosphere outside that isn't meant to be on another planet, hence why the coasters will be mostly inside and in the dark. I personally think the two facades of SM and Tron will look amazing together, especially at night.

justintheharris

Ahhhhh, well then if that was/or is the case, I am all for a new Adventureland E-ticket! A new addition without replacing an existing attraction is always ideal of course. A volcano attraction or even something Indy themed would be pretty amazing. I already love that side of the park more than the FL/TL side. Another E-ticket attraction would only solidify my love for the western half of the Magic Kingdom.

Would that be a balance issue for crowds, though? TRON will help bring more crowds onto that side, thus helping spread crowds put. But then another E on the Adventureland side would counteract that. Does Disney ever really factor that sort of thing much, though?

Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are easily the most popular lands of the park. For a few reasons (some of which are just my speculation):

1. Little kids really appreciate fantasyland and the speedway as well as Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
2. That side of the park is simply larger in size
3. The Western half has not had a new attraction since Splash Mountain.. TWENTY SIX YEARS AGO (I'm not counting the Magic Carpets...)
4. Ever notice that only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for extra magic hours? Or that the Western side of Magic Kingdom gets VERY quiet at night time? I asked a cast member about that and its due to the lighting in the park. The Western side of Magic Kingdom is not as well lit as the Eastern side and therefore many guest surveys have shown some dissatisfaction with the Western side of Magic Kingdom in the evening.

I seriously believe that Adventureland needs a new addition (an E ticket one) as it has not received one since Pirates of the Caribbean... two years after the park opened. And it shouldn't be at the expense of an existing attraction. But as of now, Disney seems to be doing Tron. Once Tron opens, I'm sure SOMETHING, whatever it may be, is in store for the western half of the park.

Yea this post got slightly off topic but.. ya know.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What happened to Tomorrowland getting renamed?

Weaksauce source.

Carousel of Progress on twitter says Tomorrowland will get a new name. Discoveryland.

3 or 4 new attractions

A tron attraction is one of them but not the coaster. The coaster is being considered as a last resort.

New area lighting.

New BGM

This twitter account has said it was going to be Discoveryland back in October, after saying it was going to be Future World.

And back in October they also said the RnRC was getting a GotG overlay soonl

And that Stitch was scheduled to be replaced. But, they said Stitch was already completely dismantled even when Disney was saying it would be available seasonally.

And in January that the Speedway was good as gone. And that Carousel of Progress was going down for a few months in February (which it didn't).

They did get a lighting package in Tomorrowland right... but you only had to look up to know that.

To their credit, they did mention Tron going to Buzz, which our own insider extraordinaire hinted as a possibility.

So... not a very good track record. They know what a bunch of CMs working in Tomorrowland know.

No doubt there will be price increases between now and then. Reaching back to August here? :D Cat is out of the bag on a lot of the 50th planning. Just skimmed back. I have no knowledge of a name change for TLand. Still some items under wraps, but I don't think that's accurate.

Those $50 cupcakes better be gigantic. ;)

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are easily the most popular lands of the park. For a few reasons (some of which are just my speculation):

1. Little kids really appreciate fantasyland and the speedway as well as Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
2. That side of the park is simply larger in size
3. The Western half has not had a new attraction since Splash Mountain.. TWENTY SIX YEARS AGO (I'm not counting the Magic Carpets...)
4. Ever notice that only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for extra magic hours? Or that the Western side of Magic Kingdom gets VERY quiet at night time? I asked a cast member about that and its due to the lighting in the park. The Western side of Magic Kingdom is not as well lit as the Eastern side and therefore many guest surveys have shown some dissatisfaction with the Western side of Magic Kingdom in the evening.

I seriously believe that Adventureland needs a new addition (an E ticket one) as it has not received one since Pirates of the Caribbean... two years after the park opened. And it shouldn't be at the expense of an existing attraction. But as of now, Disney seems to be doing Tron. Once Tron opens, I'm sure SOMETHING, whatever it may be, is in store for the western half of the park.

Yea this post got slightly off topic but.. ya know.

TSI is a large area just begging for something more than they have now in my opinion. Swiss Family Treehouse is another, although that's a small footprint

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TSI is a large area just begging for something more than they have now in my opinion. Swiss Family Treehouse is another, although that's a small footprint
Why? Why remove a charming section of the park when they have plenty of other options? It has a purpose. It sets the scene. The show. The atmosphere. And swallows plenty of people.

Treehouse footprint is negligible.

nickys

Premium Member

Hands off TSI! And the Treehouse!

TSI is a lovely idyllic playground / escape from the frenetic over-stimulation that MK can induce. Kids and adults alike can roam and explore. All it needs, IMO, is a cafe with hot and cold drinks, some pastries, maybe ice cream and dole whips. And there's even buildings they could renovate for it.

And the Treehouse is perfect as it is, with great views of the park at night btw. I know it's ludicrously far fetched, but I caught the movie again recently and it's a fun, old school adventure yarn.

I would be really sad to see them go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom