News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe @marni1971 said it was originally to be re-themed as Light Racers. Vehicle concept art was posted here. No longer in the cards.
Have some more blurry art.

8404218C-DA29-4442-BEB5-A998BFAECB8E.jpeg

J4546

Should be, a relatively simple upgrade just making them electric would go a long way imo. Aestheticly they are almost cool enough looking to keep em with the same bodies even. I can't imagine it would be that expensive to do

MagicHappens1971

I wish they'd get rid of the Tomorrowland Speedway completely and put a new ride there.......decent amount of space to do something worthwhile
I think the placement of Tron really hinders their ability to do much with that space now. Any type of show building would pretty much be visible from Dumbo, Tron, Mad Tea Party, etc. The only option would be either more flat rides or something like Mine Train (not at that scale) but something where the show building is completely hidden by the facade on all sides

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
I think the placement of Tron really hinders their ability to do much with that space now.
I'm pretty sure the plan had always been to tie the Speedway into TRON. I remember Steve and Martin mentioning it numerous times while speaking about the original concept for the Tomorrowland overhaul that has since been cancelled. Now it's been left in a discordant mess, much like the aesthetic of the rest of the unfinished land.

MagicHappens1971

I'm pretty sure the plan had always been to tie the Speedway into TRON. I remember Steve and Martin mentioning it numerous times while speaking about the original concept for the Tomorrowland overhaul that has since been cancelled. Now it's been left in a discordant mess, much like the aesthetic of the rest of the unfinished land.
I also remember those plans but now that they’ve been cancelled/shelved, it kinda highlights the fact that the placement of Tron was a poor decision.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
I also remember those plans but now that they’ve been cancelled/shelved, it kinda highlights the fact that the placement of Tron was a poor decision.
That's just the ultimate "would've, could've, should've" that EPCOT Center really got to feel. Kind of sad when you consider the fact that it was all supposed to be completed together then it slowly got trimmed down bit by bit.

Oh well, eventually something will happen.

JoeCamel

I think the placement of Tron really hinders their ability to do much with that space now. Any type of show building would pretty much be visible from Dumbo, Tron, Mad Tea Party, etc. The only option would be either more flat rides or something like Mine Train (not at that scale) but something where the show building is completely hidden by the facade on all sides
They could build something that looks like the ball in front of Mission Space or a themed building to fit in. Make it pretty from all visible points like real Epcot did once upon a time. It doesn't have to look like a show building with a façade.

DonniePeverley

I have road this a few times, during the day the astethics are no where near as spectacular as at night (IMO). It is aesthetically beautiful at night! But the coaster itself is very meh in my opinion. I do like the novelty of the lightcycle trains but the attraction is really short. I also don't really pickup on any story once you leave the preshow, which by the way, the reveal is really cool. Having been on it, I don't feel compelled to ever wait in line for this attraction after it opens unless for some strange reason its less than a 30 minute wait.

that's a tad deflating

Patcheslee

But kids love it, and it could be great with a serious upgrade, and fit right in with TRON.
Mines 14 and doesn't want to do them because she doesn't want to bump someone. She takes that a bit too seriously lol. If upgraded they could add a stop proximity sensor maybe.

Dr.GrantSeeker

In my opinion adding attractions to the Magic Kingdom is always the right decision.

People may argue that it will only make the park more crowded.

I say the new attraction will be there long after the hype is over and can absorb guests in the most visited park in the world.
Do we know what the capacity of this attraction is? I would bet someone does assuming it is identical to the capacity of its twin sister over in SHDL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom