News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
At the risk of reading of 801 pages - what is the general consensus on this attracion - SUCCESS OR NOT ?

Or just another long line of 'meh is that it?'
With it being clone, there really aren't any surprises - we knew exactly what we were getting, and it is just that.

Quick takeaway is that it will be a popular addition, unique ride position on the cycles, questionable placement next to Space Mountain, and frustratingly short.

No Name

In Shanghai, you can tell it was designed for the land specifically, and as much as it has its issues, that really helps. The pathway is a natural part of the second level and the canopy shape fits it well. The Chevrolet building also helps obscure the big blue box a bit, whereas here, not only is that missing, but the restrooms are past the canopy and directly in front of the nude building. In MK, the colorless canopy and trim makes it much more inflatable-looking and doesn’t really evoke “tomorrow” in any way during the day. I think all of these differences are actually more significant than the lack of discussion here would suggest.

The most kind thing I can say about the MK version is that it leans into its “industrial” look, with even the bathrooms matching the building, and the width of the panels matching the trim of the canopy. Pointing out the many failures in theming feels a little like complaining that a Taco Bell doesn’t look very Mexican… it wasn’t trying to.

Marc Davis Fan

In Shanghai, you can tell it was designed for the land specifically, and as much as it has its issues, that really helps. The pathway is a natural part of the second level and the canopy shape fits it well. The Chevrolet building also helps obscure the big blue box a bit, whereas here, not only is that missing, but the restrooms are past the canopy and directly in front of the nude building. In MK, the colorless canopy and trim makes it much more inflatable-looking and doesn’t really evoke “tomorrow” in any way during the day. I think all of these differences are actually more significant than the lack of discussion here would suggest.

The most kind thing I can say about the MK version is that it leans into its “industrial” look, with even the bathrooms matching the building, and the width of the panels matching the trim of the canopy. Pointing out the many failures in theming feels a little like complaining that a Taco Bell doesn’t look very Mexican… it wasn’t trying to.

The canopy color makes a huge difference. I saw the Shanghai one in person soon after it opened, and I seriously didn't even realize the canopy was made of that inflatable stuff until I read about it later. Whereas in MK, it screams "inflated plastic" from a distance. Other small details are also missing, like coverings around the footers!

I actually like MK's placement, though. In Shanghai, the "box" is visible from around Tomorrowland, and is really only fully hidden when you're right under the canopy. In MK, there's actually a more impressive reveal when you suddenly see the canopy close-up (well, apart from the color scheme, as mentioned above). I also agree that "leaning into the industrial look" helps with the box issue.

SilentWindODoom

I actually like MK's placement, though. In Shanghai, the "box" is visible from around Tomorrowland, and is really only fully hidden when you're right under the canopy. In MK, there's actually a more impressive reveal when you suddenly see the canopy close-up (well, apart from the color scheme, as mentioned above). I also agree that "leaning into the industrial look" helps with the box issue.

Yeah. I know there's been complaints about the placement, but in Shanghai it's very disruptive, the box looming over Toy Story Land. Save for the Circus path, it's much less visible in Magic Kingdom.

Some want it to be more central, but that would make the box even more of a problem. I like our Tomorrowland's layout with the Frank Lloyd Wright style of going through a narrow space to have a vista open before you. It's not one big scene, but a lot of smaller ones, like a city, with the Astro Orbiter as the center landmark. Everyone has spoken about how great it looks when it pops up before you. I think that's all you need.

Timothy_Q

Yeah. I know there's been complaints about the placement, but in Shanghai it's very disruptive, the box looming over Toy Story Land. Save for the Circus path, it's much less visible in Magic Kingdom.

Some want it to be more central, but that would make the box even more of a problem. I like our Tomorrowland's layout with the Frank Lloyd Wright style of going through a narrow space to have a vista open before you. It's not one big scene, but a lot of smaller ones, like a city, with the Astro Orbiter as the center landmark. Everyone has spoken about how great it looks when it pops up before you. I think that's all you need.
MK has the best Tomorrowland layout in my opinion
The whole land could be perfect with just comestic updates

DL's is absolute chaos
TDL's feels too spread out and lacks warmth/detail (new baymax area addressed that, and i'm sure new space redo will as well)
DLP's is gorgeous but backside of space and star tours area always felt badly integrated/designed
HKD's is tiny and already has a weird dead end with iron man
SDL's is cohesive and looks futuristic but to me feels too industrial and lacks any whimsy. more like an airport than a disney park

trainplane3

MK has the best Tomorrowland layout in my opinion
The whole land could be perfect with just comestic updates

DL's is absolute chaos
TDL's feels too spread out and lacks warmth/detail (new baymax area addressed that, and i'm sure new space redo will as well)
DLP's is gorgeous but backside of space and star tours area always felt badly integrated/designed
HKD's is tiny and already has a weird dead end with iron man
SDL's is cohesive and looks futuristic but to me feels too industrial and lacks any whimsy. more like an airport than a disney park
It probably helps we have the PeopleMover that literally ties the entire land together.

Drdcm

Anyone who has been on it, is it still cool during the day time? I would imagine the lit canopy only really has a substantial effect at night.

rct247

At the risk of reading of 801 pages - what is the general consensus on this attracion - SUCCESS OR NOT ?

Or just another long line of 'meh is that it?'
The latter.

Tron is both beautiful and out of place, both fun yet dull. I just don't know what to truly make of it.

It's a very short ride with a story that wasn't memorable. The launch is fantastic. The ride is pretty restrictive for body types and if you are prone to even light to moderate back pain, the ride isn't exactly comfortable. It's smooth and unique, but that ride vehicle comes with a leaning curve that will likely result in some confusion for Guests. I rode hunched over not realizing I could and should have pushed myself up a bit more. I felt more constrictive on Tron than I did on FoP but there are similarities. Locker system is fantastic yet also can be intimidating with minimal instructions. Preshow room was small but with a cool reveal. The canopy provides lots of shade yet not the portion of the main extended queue. For how dark and sleek the films environment is in Tron Legacy, this felt a little budget conscious.

I think it is a nice addition, but I prefer the other coasters in the Kingdom more. In fact, Space still gave me more of a thrill. This attractions placement and potential should have been more. The hype and time we waited doesn't match the experience when you get off. Our Space Mtn could have been rethemed to this and still been successful. The canopy while beautiful at night is overrated. Honestly it fits more for Epcot and Guardians should have been at MK.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but it did not exceed my expectations. I wouldn't wait too long for it.

SilentWindODoom

Honestly it fits more for Epcot and Guardians should have been at MK.

Does anyone know the size of the Guardians box compared to the Tron box? I wonder how they would have built Guardians if it were wholesale rather than out the back of Energy. A similarly small building with blue paint, or something to hide it more like Tron.

Incomudro

Does anyone know the size of the Guardians box compared to the Tron box? I wonder how they would have built Guardians if it were wholesale rather than out the back of Energy. A similarly small building with blue paint, or something to hide it more like Tron.
I don't know the exact size comparison (someone here will) but I do know that the Guardians building is huge.
Spaceship Earth huge.
If Guardians were built in Epcot from the beginning, the box would have been hidden by berms and trees.
Unfortunately they weren't able to do that, being it was shoehorned into a space that doesn't allow for it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
CR Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 230 x 315 feet. 72,420 sq.ft
  • Height: 140 feet.
  • Volume: 10,143,00 ft^3.

TRON Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 286 x 330 ft. 94,380 sq.ft.
  • Height: 85 feet.
  • Volume: 8,000,000 ft^3.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

CR Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 230 x 315 feet. 72,420 sq.ft
  • Height: 140 feet.
  • Volume: 10,143,00 ft^3.

TRON Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 286 x 330 ft. 94,380 sq.ft.
  • Height: 170 feet.
  • Volume: 16,000,000 ft^3.

Before people are shocked that the TRON building is bigger despite being a shorter attraction (half of which is outside the box), remember that the TRON building includes essentially everything for the attraction whereas the Guardians queue, preshow, and load/unload is in the old Energy building.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom