News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Marc Davis Fan

MK has the best Tomorrowland layout in my opinion
The whole land could be perfect with just comestic updates

DL's is absolute chaos
TDL's feels too spread out and lacks warmth/detail (new baymax area addressed that, and i'm sure new space redo will as well)
DLP's is gorgeous but backside of space and star tours area always felt badly integrated/designed
HKD's is tiny and already has a weird dead end with iron man
SDL's is cohesive and looks futuristic but to me feels too industrial and lacks any whimsy. more like an airport than a disney park

I feel that MK's Tomorrowland is the only one that fully "works" (though I haven't seen HKDL's in person), with the only other contender being DLP's (apart form back back of Space Mountain, as you mentioned). MK's has depth, whimsy, and, perhaps most importantly, "architecture of reassurance" principles.

I don't understand why they can't just remove or replace the awful, temporary-looking lighting rigs around that stage, though. How did that get approved as a permanent addition to the land?!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You’ve nearly doubled the height of the building. The highest parapets are only about 94’ high.
Oops. Yeah, I counted the panels. Which I assumed were 10' each, but then reasoned were only 5'.

But then I still multiplied by 10 instead of 5!

So, the corrected stats:

CR Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 230 x 315 feet. 72,420 sq.ft
  • Height: 140 feet.
  • Volume: 10,143,00 ft^3.

TRON Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 286 x 330 ft. 94,380 sq.ft.
  • Height: ~85 feet.
  • Volume: 8,000,000 ft^3.

SilentWindODoom

Oops. Yeah, I counted the panels. Which I assumed were 10' each, but then reasoned were only 5'.

But then I still multiplied by 10 instead of 5!

So, the corrected stats:

CR Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 230 x 315 feet. 72,420 sq.ft
  • Height: 140 feet.
  • Volume: 10,143,00 ft^3.

TRON Gravity Building:
  • Footprint: 286 x 330 ft. 94,380 sq.ft.
  • Height: ~85 feet.
  • Volume: 8,000,000 ft^3.

Okay. That makes a heck of a lot more sense. Imagine plopping a box nearing twice the height in MK, possibly getting larger if you try to fit the fit the queue within it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Before people are shocked that the TRON building is bigger despite being a shorter attraction (half of which is outside the box), remember that the TRON building includes essentially everything for the attraction whereas the Guardians queue, preshow, and load/unload is in the old Energy building.

Wow!
I had no idea that the Tron building is larger.
Quite a bit larger.

CR has the benefit of putting all their preshows and queue and launch/disembark in a separate building. If that was added in, I'm sure CR would be taking up more volume.
Well, I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that CR's 10+ million cubic feet is ~20% larger than Tron's 8 million cubic feet.

Hawg G

But TRON seems to have a LOT less space above the track. GotG' show building could be a LOT shorter except for the entrance corner after the launch.

Guardians seems to be a much larger footprint for the coaster. I guess the space above helps that.feel.

gerarar

Premium Member
Work continuing on snack stand. Concrete finally poured around the stand and final touches being done.
Screenshot_20230228_130842_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230228_130917_YouTube.jpg

Screenshots taken from following livestream:

No Name

Does the speedway look all that out of place, especially during the daytime? It’s very simple colors with rounded curves, not unlike the canopy. I think getting new electric vehicles that light up at night would be a big improvement but I don’t look at this and think it’s out of place.

1677689966698.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does the speedway look all that out of place, especially during the daytime? It’s very simple colors with rounded curves, not unlike the canopy. I think getting new electric vehicles that light up at night would be a big improvement but I don’t look at this and think it’s out of place.

View attachment 701488
The cars need a neon undercarriage and hydraulics for lowriding bounces.

Incomudro

View attachment 701488
It's that there's nothing "Tomorrow" about those cars.
I do like the look of the track snaking around there.
But the sound and smell is so dated for the location.

Dr.GrantSeeker

At the risk of reading of 801 pages - what is the general consensus on this attracion - SUCCESS OR NOT ?

Or just another long line of 'meh is that it?'

I have road this a few times, during the day the astethics are no where near as spectacular as at night (IMO). It is aesthetically beautiful at night! But the coaster itself is very meh in my opinion. I do like the novelty of the lightcycle trains but the attraction is really short. I also don't really pickup on any story once you leave the preshow, which by the way, the reveal is really cool. Having been on it, I don't feel compelled to ever wait in line for this attraction after it opens unless for some strange reason its less than a 30 minute wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom