News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

JEANYLASER

Do you know who is going to build the Tron Coaster in the Magic Kingdom and What is the name of that company who made the Tron Coaster?:confused:

FerretAfros

Right . . . and if you read my post again you’ll see that I said that too. It’s quoted in your post. But what is left to design should take a couple months max. They’re not reinventing the wheel here, Disney has professionals whos entire job is to know how to do this. So many people can only do so much work so fast, but the phase of design you’re referring to isn’t massive.

TRON may not be fully designed for Magic Kingdom, but starting from what they have in Shanghai puts it 85 percent of the way there at least. Adapting plans is SO much less work than starting from scratch, even if does still take some work. It’s not like they’ve never built a clone before.
As a professional whose entire job is to know how to do these sorts of things (though not for Disney), I've got to side with @lazyboy97o on this one. Although the ride experience itself may be quite similar, the design to get there will likely be completely different. Using local requirements, materials, and labor will completely change how the project is designed.

The design industry has commonly accepted benchmarks for the "levels of completion" of design. Knowing where the walls are and the building's intended use is not 85% design; that's 15%. In every project, architecture needs to be essentially complete (usually around the 30% benchmark) before the other disciplines can evaluate what they need to do and the best way to do it. Copying a project from another location really only brings the most conceptual-level designs; everything else must be redesigned to fit the new environment and applicable codes.

Contrary to popular belief, Disney does not clone attractions because they're any faster or cheaper to build. They clone them because they're a proven quantity with known results. Just like the studios churning out sequels, it simply minimizes the risk of building something that could turn into a flop

*Q*

They did. They had the luxury of a single track, no duel central lifts, no double height load/unload, no ground level entry / exit corridors down the central spine, no post show and no WEDway.

And it still took two years.

You know I more than most would love it to happen. We know they have a plan how to do it. But here’s an example of the confined space, before it began to be confined:

View attachment 263861

Now imagine having to do it working backwards from no room to some room to move.
And I suppose that means the PeopleMover would be down for two or more years, then, too.

RSoxNo1

Have you seen any accelerations as a result of the tax reform capital policy? Companies have significant incentive to accelerate spending over the next five years.
Disney (and Universal) did give $1000 bonuses to nearly every lower level employee that was with the company as of January 1, 2018 (I believe that date is correct).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Announced in July 2017?

It should be opening Spring 2019.

22 months, give or take. Right now they’re planned at 36 or so. For a ride that already exists and doesn’t break any meaningful technological ground, shiny though it is.

And if they had real sense they would get some work done before announcing it.

I’m excited to ride it, to be clear. I’m not hating on the ride, but it shouldn’t take as long as it’s going to.

You need to take announcement date out of the equation. Announcement is purely a marketing decision and it unrelated to the more practical matters that influence how long it will take to build something.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Disney (and Universal) did give $1000 bonuses to nearly every lower level employee that was with the company as of January 1, 2018 (I believe that date is correct).
Understood. I'm not really talking about the income tax changes, I'm talking about the accelerated depreciation that doesn't get nearly as much press coverage. Google "immediate expensing" for more details.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Do you know who is going to build the Tron Coaster in the Magic Kingdom and What is the name of that company who made the Tron Coaster?:confused:

The hardware for the coaster itself is Vekoma, though given the complexity of the lighting, building, special effects, etc, I'm sure the whole package is a collaboration between a lot of companies.

yensidtlaw1969

Judging by your post I’m guessing you haven’t.

You clearly don’t understand how much needs to be designed for its specific location.
With respect, that’s an incorrect assumption - including cloning across international lines. I feel confident in my understanding of how much work there is to do and where within a project of this nature.

To bring TRON from Shanghai to its spot in the Magic Kingdom should not take anywhere near as long as it’s going to. There’s some stuff to overcome, but hardly any challenge that accounts for the timeline they’re on.

peter11435

With respect, that’s an incorrect assumption - including cloning across international lines. I feel confident in my understanding of how much work there is to do and where within a project of this nature.

To bring TRON from Shanghai to its spot in the Magic Kingdom should not take anywhere near as long as it’s going to. There’s some stuff to overcome, but hardly any challenge that accounts for the timeline they’re on.
With all respect then, comments saying that the design from Shanghai would already be 85 percent there suggest a lack of understanding with what is necessary with a project of this type.

You are correct it should not take as long as it is going to. But you are incorrect about how much work is required and have an unrealistic idea of how how quickly is could be done.

yensidtlaw1969

With all respect then, comments saying that the design from Shanghai would already be 85 percent there suggest a lack of understanding with what is necessary with a project of this type.

You are correct it should not take as long as it is going to. But you are incorrect about how much work is required and have an unrealistic idea of how how quickly is could be done.
It seems I misspoke - I didn’t mean to suggest that the project is 85% done because they built one in Shanghai, I agree that’s crazy. What I meant to intone was that modifying plates from the completed Shanghai project to account for the changes that need be made to serve construction in the Magic Kingdom is way, way less work than conjuring an attraction from scratch and going through all the design work that comes with it. I apologize for being unclear.

There is of course real work to do to translate for MK - and on land they must first reclaim - but that amount of work pales in comparison to designing an attraction from the first to last step. The timeline this attraction is on is a result of Disney is attempting to spread costs out over a long time so it “feels” less expensive to the company. Not because the attraction couldn’t possibly be completed any faster. It could and I think it’s worth it to say that it should.

yensidtlaw1969

You need to take announcement date out of the equation. Announcement is purely a marketing decision and it unrelated to the more practical matters that influence how long it will take to build something.
It’s true that the announcement doesn’t indicate the commencement of a project. But Disney’s practice in the past decade of announcing things far, far ahead of their intended completion is out of hand and a lousy marketing practice.

That combined with Disney’s artificially inflated construction periods work at odds with the reality that this company has greater resource to complete large-scale projects like TRON than any other in the industry. It doesn’t mean they can turn over an E-ticket at the snap of their fingers, but the timeline I suggested is what they should be doing and are actually capable of for an attraction like this. 2 years is still meaningfully better than 3.

TrojanUSC

It does? Can't say I've experienced that one.

yeah it's, by far, the most common cause of downtime. happens at least 1-2x/day, on average. there's only a few spaces at unload for the trains to wait in. if they fill up, the whole ride shuts down. it's also tricky to "station stop," which happens sometimes if a kid gets too close to the tracks or something. if a train tries to come in while you unload is stopped, the ride shuts down. there's nowhere for the incoming trains to go so they stop out on the ride track, at the last available break zone.

JEANYLASER

The hardware for the coaster itself is Vekoma, though given the complexity of the lighting, building, special effects, etc, I'm sure the whole package is a collaboration between a lot of companies.
Thank you Coaster Lover I forgot the name Vekoma but what is Vekoma do? I can't wait to ride Tron Coaster! They said it will be open in the 50th birthday it's true!:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom