News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

i think the 185' is to the top of the antenna tower thing, not the building itself... So the Tron building is probably taller than Space Mountain main building...If they do not position the Tron building properly you will definitely have a very visible concrete box next to an architecturally significant, beautifully designed building.
It would be nice if they would integrate some of the Space Mountain building features into the new Tron building so at least they sort of go together...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I do hope they find a way to keep the giant, boxy TRON show building from disrupting this view of Space Mountain, I can just see the tall pointy corners poking up from behind on either side . . .

Space-Mountain-Disney-World-571a83f53df78c56403d801c.jpg

You will be disappointed. Sorry.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I do hope they find a way to keep the giant, boxy TRON show building from disrupting this view of Space Mountain, I can just see the tall pointy corners poking up from behind on either side . . .

They will probably paint is a shade of blue and call it a day. Hope that it blends into the sky and guests don't notice. Just like Sound Stage 5 at DHS.

Bocabear

Actually the top roof of Space Mountain appears to be about 153' according to a blueprint I saw...so the Tron box will be 16' taller...and Space Mountain's shape gets maller as it goes up...the Tron building is a massive box...I dont think there will be any way to hide it, and wioth the Florida water table, they cant sink the building too far down into the ground....

Last edited:

Bocabear

I don't think the showbuilding in SDL is that big.
If you look, the walkways and plazas are elevated about 20' off the ground making it look a little shorter... The Space Mountain building is also built well below the plaza grade so if the 169' Tron Building height is correct, it will definitely be more massive and taller than Space Mountain... Maybe they can push it as far back as possible to allow it to look smaller... but side by side you are going to see it...and how!

crxbrett

That beautiful view may be gone, but I am going to try to be optimistic about this. It's possible the TRON building with it's bubble glass canopies all lit up at night might look like a futuristic city behind SM? It might still be a neat view... 😕

I need to look at SDL's show building again. Maybe I am completely mis-remembering lol

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

1518803176358.png

The blue is the wavy canopy (Google Earth can't do wavy, so, you get a box). The white is the coaster building which will mostly be invisible from the park, but, when you look from outside the park...

RobotWolf

Despite whatever they do to the Tron showbuilding, they are killing the forced-perspective effect of Space Mountain. It's going to look very small now. Not much of a mountain anymore.

RobotWolf

You might be right when outside the park but when you are in it as others have said the perspective shouldn't change.
I understand what you mean. But Space Mountain being a capital "weenie" on the edge of the park, greatly contributed to the guest experience outside of the park. For example: As they approach the park for the first time on the monorail, SM makes a very dramatic and beautiful first impression. This first impression will be at least changed by the presence of the Tron showbuilding.

It's great that the park angle will be preserved. But SM was a part of many other angles to a very positive effect. Tron may cause these impressions to be lost.

crxbrett

I'm definitely weary of that view, don't get me wrong. But I am hopeful it may not be as bad as we are thinking it will be once it is finished.

<<GULP>> I hope.

Too bad that big building couldn't have been built a little farther north of where it is going. Might have been more hidden.

I will say when I look at photos of Shanghai's TRON at night, with all of the bright colors and swooping curves of the canopy bubbles - it looks extremely beautiful and I do think it will really add to Tomorrowland. At least at nighttime.

-

Last edited:

cjkeating

View attachment 264524

The blue is the wavy canopy (Google Earth can't do wavy, so, you get a box). The white is the coaster building which will mostly be invisible from the park, but, when you look from outside the park...

I am pretty sure I said this way back somewhere in this thread... the Tron shed is going to cause a sightline mess. Something I think MK has generally avoided up until now.

lazyboy97o

If you look, the walkways and plazas are elevated about 20' off the ground making it look a little shorter... The Space Mountain building is also built well below the plaza grade so if the 169' Tron Building height is correct, it will definitely be more massive and taller than Space Mountain... Maybe they can push it as far back as possible to allow it to look smaller... but side by side you are going to see it...and how!
169' is about twice the height of the gravity box. The highest point, where the vehicles enter the gravity box, is about 12' taller.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom