News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

smile

56d.gif

Bocabear

No, this is simply not true. Shanghai and Bay Lake are two different places with different climate, soil conditions, measurements, material availability, labor availability and laws. If anything, it is the opposite of what you state as the project is using a fast-track process. Site work is starting now and will continue for much of the year all while the building is still being designed.
ummmm that is what site integration means....and if it is a direct lift, then they are using the same buildings et-al... the ground prep may be different but essentially the buildings and content will be the same.

Kevin_W

It’s a clone. Minimal changes to access.

Are we really surprised about how long things take anymore ?

For context, I look at some local projects. Near my house they have been working for about a year on a Bibibop Asian Grill (Asian "fast casual"). this is purely a clone, as ~30 of these restaurants already exist and nowhere near the scope of a rollercoaster. And it's still been a year. Meanwhile, there is a big road construction project on the north side of Columbus started in 2014 and isn't anywhere near completion.

So yes, Disney construction is slow. So is nearly everyone else

Last edited:

MomofPrincessGrace

For context, I look at some local projects. Near my house they have been working for about a year on a Bibibop Asian Grill (Asian "fast casual"). this is purely a clone, as ~30 of these restaurants already exist and nowhere near the scope of a rollercoaster. And it's still been a year. Meanwhile, the a big road construction project on the north side of Columbus started in 2014 and isn't anywhere near completion.

So yes, Disney construction is slow. So is nearly everyone else

It took 3 years to open a Whole Foods in a pre-exisiting grocery store in a strip mall.

FullSailDan

It shouldn't be shocking to anyone that this will take 3 years to completion. This is on par with recent Disney standards... Regrettably

For a structure the size of what Tron will be, it's not surprising OUT of Disney. Building codes have changed a lot in recent years and it takes time to bid the work, build a schedule, order/deliver materials, construct support structures, install utilities, install ride portions, drywall, decor, etc. Add in numerous inspections throughout the process, ride testing, ride certification, training, etc. It takes time.....

If this was simply throwing some coaster track in a field, sure, we might be looking at 8 months from ground work starting to ride opening, but it's more complicated than that.

That being said... yeah, Disney does it slower than it could. From what I understand that's being worked on. I know that they are working on implementing building information modelling more tightly into their process. That certainly speeds up construction a bit, but can slow down the design phase sometimes too. It will also allow them to schedule various subs in a more overlapping manner, but that assumes they are BIM ready too. (Many are not and think it's a waste)

Plus you add in the number of other construction projects currently underway or kicking off soon at WDW, there's only so much these contractors can handle at one time. They don't have an infinite workforce, and unlike the local home builders, WDW isn't keen on using contractors that aren't... shall we say more licensed. That kind of contractor can have staffing challenges considering the type of work. And yes, they have their preferred folks, because experience, NDA's, etc.

Even the average home here in FL takes about 6-7 months from purchase to close, and our builder had to replace a few subs along the way because other builders were willing to pay more. Literally the tile guys said "no im not coming, the guys across the road pay $2 more an hour" on the day of the install....

Point being, there's a lot of commercial construction happening here right now. Disney is in the same battle for contractors.

EricsBiscuit

You don't like the native village and its nodding AA? That's a highlight of any trip...

To be honest, I love the RR for how strangely out of date it is. The trains are awesome and the corny old props just complete the aesthetic that you are in "old" Disney. Leave it the way it is...A 115 year old steam train doesn't need top shelf AAs and effects.
Correction, the oldest locomotive is Roy O Disney which is turning 102 years old this year. The oldest Disney locomotive anywhere is the Fred Gurley at DL which is from 1894.

Bender123

Correction, the oldest locomotive is Roy O Disney which is turning 102 years old this year. The oldest Disney locomotive anywhere is the Fred Gurley at DL which is from 1894.

My error...I always forget the 1902 one was scrapped before opening. Not that it really matters. 100 years is still a lot of years.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Disney should just wait until ground breaking or after. This seems to be what Uni does. Why not wait to announce and 5hen it won’t seem so long. Just a theory.

crxbrett

It took 22 months to build Splash Mountain.

Just sayin’

Yup. And if I'm not mistaken, it took roughly 30-33 months to build Everest. So 2-3 years is definitely the norm for Disney's more ambitious E-ticket projects. I don't think 3 years is out of the ordinary for such a big coaster like TRON, regardless if it's a clone or not.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yup. And if I'm not mistaken, it took roughly 30-33 months to build Everest. So 2-3 years is definitely the norm for Disney's more ambitious E-ticket projects. I don't think 3 years is out of the ordinary for such a big coaster like TRON, regardless if it's a clone or not.
Good job. Cos that’s how long it is taking.

lazyboy97o

Not that much. Aside from the ground conditions you mentioned.
ummmm that is what site integration means....and if it is a direct lift, then they are using the same buildings et-al... the ground prep may be different but essentially the buildings and content will be the same.
The building form is nearly the same, but that does not at all mean that how the building is put together is the same. Everything big and small has to be reviewed and adjusted for the new location. How an exterior wall goes together changes based on location. All of the electrical equipment needs to be reworked for different voltages and adjustments may be needed to be made to sizings. HVAC requirements are different and similarly must be adjusted. Those types of system adjustments can change the equipment being used, which in turn can impact minor changes in the structure to provide proper support. Occupant loads need to be recalculated and evaluated. Construction type needs to be reviewed and adjusted. The bathrooms need to be redesigned. Materials and dimensions need to be adjusted. Every single thing needs to be reviewed and possibly adjusted just to make it look the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom