News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

GCTales

If he signed any kind of NDA, (and how in the would could he not in that line of work) he is playing with fire. We sign them all the time with the Big 3 (or 4) for concept vehicles and future products.

I witnessed what happened when another person from another companies crew posted a still from set of a prototype vette ... they took him for just about everything ... including what reputation he had ... and won. Product security is big (and serious) business.

When the company I was at did ride work for Disney, everyone had new NDA executed. This included people who were not directly involved in the project, but may see it during fabrication.

I can't see how this person didn't sign one and am shocked that he / she hasn't been terminated yet.

Another possibility is that this has tacit Disney approval for dissemination of info they want to send out w/o an "official" stamp,of approval. Also allows spread of disinformation, should they choose ( though I have no idea why they would do that)

dgp602

Disney has never built a hardcore extreme coaster and I am sure they are not going to start now. It is a clone of the Shanghai's ride...Lots of videos online...No animatronics, just lots of projections and lighting effects.
If its just a clone, then a majority of the leg work ( design, scope etc..) is completed. Why is it taking 3 years to build??

GCTales

Hopefully we can get a rollercoaster engineer in here to answer that properly. Failing that we will have to settle for a graduate of Google.
I am not a coaster engineer, not did I graduate google... But I slept at a holiday inn once...

First, I am assuming that this is based on differences between Shanghai Tron and WDW Tron, and not between an "unthemed" coaster (such as found at a six flag amusement park) and a Disney-fied coaster that is immersively themed.

My guess would be:

1. It is not a true clone, so design, engineering and new calcs need to be done plus drawing modification.
2. Building is not exact clone, so design, engineering, and new calcs, plus drawings need to be done plus any changes / improvements required to meet US Building codes (NFPA, etc).
3. Any foundation changes upgrades that may be required due to discoveries during construction.
4. Any changes specific to WDW theming vs Shanghai theming.
5. Time for any change orders that occur along the way, whether by Disney or the coaster manufacturer or the construction firm.

That should all easily add up to 3 years plus a budget overrun.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am not a coaster engineer, not did I graduate google... But I slept at a holiday inn once...

First, I am assuming that this is based on differences between Shanghai Tron and WDW Tron, and not between an "unthemed" coaster (such as found at a six flag amusement park) and a Disney-fied coaster that is immersively themed.

My guess would be:

1. It is not a true clone, so design, engineering and new calcs need to be done plus drawing modification.
2. Building is not exact clone, so design, engineering, and new calcs, plus drawings need to be done plus any changes / improvements required to meet US Building codes (NFPA, etc).
3. Any foundation changes upgrades that may be required due to discoveries during construction.
5. Time for any change orders that occur along the way, whether by Disney or the coaster manufacturer or the construction firm.

It’s a clone. Minimal changes to access.

Are we really surprised about how long things take anymore ?

lazyboy97o

My guess would be:

It’s a clone. Minimal changes to access.

Are we really surprised about how long things take anymore ?
Being a clone means conceptual design is done, most of schematic design is done and a lot of show design is done. Knowing what it will look like does not mean the design is done, there is still a lot of work to be done.

Bocabear

Being a clone means conceptual design is done, most of schematic design is done and a lot of show design is done. Knowing what it will look like does not mean the design is done, there is still a lot of work to be done.
If it is a direct lift, then almost everything is done except site integration... With it's location and the speedway being part of the plan, it is going to take longer...and actually when you consider it took 2 years to finish a gazebo in DAK, 3 years seems particularly fast for such a large project.

lazyboy97o

If it is a direct lift, then almost everything is done except site integration...
No, this is simply not true. Shanghai and Bay Lake are two different places with different climate, soil conditions, measurements, material availability, labor availability and laws. If anything, it is the opposite of what you state as the project is using a fast-track process. Site work is starting now and will continue for much of the year all while the building is still being designed.

trainplane3

If it is a direct lift, then almost everything is done except site integration... With it's location and the speedway being part of the plan, it is going to take longer...and actually when you consider it took 2 years to finish a gazebo in DAK, 3 years seems particularly fast for such a large project.
But when you realize it took 3 years to build Epcot....

Spash007

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I didn't see it and was wondering what the impact to the RR will be? It looks like from the concept art and the initial permits the railroad will go underneath part of it - will they just close it while they are doing work around it, or take the opportunity to refresh that as well? I know it's not a huge draw for a lot of people, but I've always appreciated it and the Tomorrowland section always seemed lacking to me (no additional props for example). And even the props that are around the Frontierland section seem dated at this point. I'm not expecting a large investment in any means, but showing it some love could be nice.

Bender123

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I didn't see it and was wondering what the impact to the RR will be? It looks like from the concept art and the initial permits the railroad will go underneath part of it - will they just close it while they are doing work around it, or take the opportunity to refresh that as well? I know it's not a huge draw for a lot of people, but I've always appreciated it and the Tomorrowland section always seemed lacking to me (no additional props for example). And even the props that are around the Frontierland section seem dated at this point. I'm not expecting a large investment in any means, but showing it some love could be nice.

You don't like the native village and its nodding AA? That's a highlight of any trip...

To be honest, I love the RR for how strangely out of date it is. The trains are awesome and the corny old props just complete the aesthetic that you are in "old" Disney. Leave it the way it is...A 115 year old steam train doesn't need top shelf AAs and effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom