News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

SplashJacket

Thunder Mountain utilizes lift hills almost exclusively to separate blocks. Space Mountain has substantially more blocks (almost all separated by brakes) than Thunder Mountain. As for records, Space has a ton of blocks, but I'm sure I can find a few that have more...

Edit: After a quick look, Space Mountain might hold the record for most block sections on a coaster (whatever that's worth)
Space has an insane amount of blocks, but they aren't as noticeable because the vehicles are very short, but are super necessary because each vehicle has such a small capacity.

celluloid

BTMR is such a great beautiful coaster. Just wanna shout out to Big Thunder
It can even transfer trains onto the course for extra capacity without having to stop the attraction. It does so very safely. Wild. Always my favorite themed coaster. I could leave lived in Frontierland back and forth if Thunder and Splash. WDW at its finest.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Space has an insane amount of blocks, but they aren't as noticeable because the vehicles are very short

Well, those two don't always coorolate... there are plenty of wild mouse coasters where the park sets the trim on the block brake to bring the car to a crawl and there are also plenty of coasters with huge trains where the block doesn't slow the train at all. Usually, a block only slows the train if the park is using the block as a trim (frequently to slow the ride and make it so it's not so rough) or if the train ahead hasn't cleared the next block (which would result in the block causing the next train to stop altogether).
While there are three lift hills, there are more blocks you pass over which one does not even tend to notice as some, such as the uphill block will not even engage unless there is a cascade.

You may be confusing blocks with trims. A block brakes, by nature, cannot be uphill. That would be a trim designed to slow the train, but not stop the train. Every block ends with a spot where a train can stop fully, but still be able to advance to the next block when restarted (even if from a full stop). This can be the top of a lift hill, a brake run that is followed by a drop to regain momentum, or a launch zone.

celluloid

You may be confusing blocks with trims. A block brakes, by nature, cannot be uphill.

Nope, those ones on thunder are also blocks. The video also explains this. One of Big thunder's quirks is it does in fact have block brakes uphill. If these are activated, the ride has to power down and the trains winched over their next momentum point on the course.

Also, an important distinction is block brakes to a section between the brakes themselves known as a "block." Or "Block Zone."

Last edited:

No Name

Nope, those ones on thunder are also blocks. The video also explains this. One of Big thunder's quirks is it does in fact have block brakes uphill. If these are activated, the ride has to power down and the trains winched over their next momentum point on the course.

Also, an important distinction is block brakes to a section between the brakes themselves known as a "block." Or "Block Zone."
No doubt Thunder Mountain has a lot, but Space Mountain has the most by far with around 15 per track.

SplashJacket

Well, those two don't always coorolate... there are plenty of wild mouse coasters where the park sets the trim on the block brake to bring the car to a crawl and there are also plenty of coasters with huge trains where the block doesn't slow the train at all. Usually, a block only slows the train if the park is using the block as a trim (frequently to slow the ride and make it so it's not so rough) or if the train ahead hasn't cleared the next block (which would result in the block causing the next train to stop altogether).

You may be confusing blocks with trims. A block brakes, by nature, cannot be uphill. That would be a trim designed to slow the train, but not stop the train. Every block ends with a spot where a train can stop fully, but still be able to advance to the next block when restarted (even if from a full stop). This can be the top of a lift hill, a brake run that is followed by a drop to regain momentum, or a launch zone.
I meant more duration in block rather than speeds and trimming.

The blocks on RNRC and Tron are much more noticeable, even though you pass through them at higher speeds, because they are just physically longer to fit the larger trains.

That said, Space has relatively long trains given they only seat 6-people, but still short blocks.

nickys

Premium Member
I had planned on going to EPCOT the morning of 3/4, then hop to MK later on for my Tron preview ressie.

I’m assuming they will just add another park reservation, or will this mess with my EPCOT plan?
Disney should just add an MK reservation to your MDE account. Keep an eye on it but it should all be fine.

Rich Brownn

No, he's correct. BTMRR does indeed have an uphill block right after the turn on the river. There's been several videos showing how they move a stopped train from there.

mysto

With the last preview date being the 12th of March and the opening date not until 4th April, what are they going to in the 3 weeks in between?

More preview dates to be announced?
Soft opening? That hasn’t happened with a new ride for quite a while.

Any guesses / info? 🙅‍♀️

VIP is my guess, club33 plus VIP tours, board members and their families. Anyone who's anyone. Rhianna or similar. A soft opening after they've had their way with it would fit.

Appears a snack stand is going into the spot that had been left empty -

Imagine the steady stream of hot kids running from the 4 hour queue to get a slushy then back into line. This thing is going to make Disney's quarterly revenue singlehandedly.

SilentWindODoom

Ever since I was a boy, I’ve always dreamed of peeing in the Grid.

I feel like that would be go very badly.

Magic Mobile won't open your hotel room. My guess is the lockers have the same issue

DME can unlock your hotel room using Bluetooth. I guess Disney doesn't think it's worth the expense to set it up.

With the app unlocking your door, it's tied into your room number and the next lock is 30 or so feet away. Can bluetooth only unlock one locker without touching the dozens within a couple feet and keep connected to unlock the singular one you picked on the other side?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I stand corrected... that is very odd design and something I don't think you'll find on any other coaster. Still, even counting those "safety brake" blocks, Space still has a substantially greater number of blocks (though it also runs a substantially greater number of trains).

lewisc

I feel like that would be go very badly.

With the app unlocking your door, it's tied into your room number and the next lock is 30 or so feet away. Can bluetooth only unlock one locker without touching the dozens within a couple feet and keep connected to unlock the singular one you picked on the other side?
It could. Your phone is paired with your earbuds. Without touching dozens of other BT devices in range.

I have no idea if Disney IT is up to the challenge or how much it would cost.

SilentWindODoom

It could. Your phone is paired with your earbuds. Without touching dozens of other BT devices in range.

I have no idea if Disney IT is up to the challenge or how much it would cost.

Your earbuds are paired after you sit with them, select that device from a series of pairable devices, and then go about the world with the link. Not you going to 50-or-so pairable devices you don't know. I suppose you could set it up to pair and then choose one of the lockers, but that takes extra time and can be used to exploit innocents.

MagicHappens1971

At the very least, I think your phone should keep track of the locker number you’re using in case you forget it.
For sure. I once had a locker at universal and my ticket wouldn’t reopen it, I had no idea what number it was, and my phone was in the locker. It took over an hour to find my stuff

Movielover

That would be something, since zero Tron theming was used in the ride.
tron1.jpg

6475961134a753389db7d6c68e0e80f9.png

tron2.jpg

tron-queue-shdl-04012018-1.jpg

tron3.jpg

d370gzh-154469a2-0be2-41fe-ae69-d50738b65502.png

"0" :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom