News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Vegas Disney Fan

the view from the monorail is not that different

View attachment 676196

Compared to the big blue box in Epcot, or the hideous back of Galaxy’s edge, this is barely noticeable.

I’m still hoping they’ll add some trees along the side, and especially in the railroad/restroom area since that’s visible from areas inside the park, but seeing show buildings from outside the parks and on the monorails has happened for decades.

I wish they tried harder to hide them like they used to also but in the grand scheme of current Disney problems I’m not sure this would even make my top 100 list.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

You need a road to the restrooms. That big area people keep eyeballing was drawn as impervious surface on the water management plans for a reason.
Are you talking about this plan? Because every tree they’ve planted already falls in that impervious area.

Every time I mention trees to help the views I hear how it’s impossible because trees are restricted in the area but this is the only thing I can find that even mentions an impervious area, and all the trees planted so far fall within its boundaries.

If you have plans to show why they can’t add trees I’d love to see them.

Firetrucks already can’t go past the restrooms because there’s a railroad tunnel there, why would a row of trees along the tunnel be impossible?
3B990AC6-CAF1-4339-A176-9BA80A2D7E36.jpeg

James Alucobond

Are you talking about this plan? Because every tree they’ve planted already falls in that impervious area.

Every time I mention trees to help the views I hear how it’s impossible because trees are restricted in the area but this is the only thing I can find that even mentions an impervious area, and all the trees planted so far fall within its boundaries.

If you have plans to show why they can’t add trees I’d love to see them. View attachment 676206
No, there's a separate document posted earlier in this thread somewhere with the actual plans that show which areas are pavement. If I recall correctly, beyond the retaining wall, there's only one tiny triangular wedge that isn't slated to be paved. Anything else on that side will have to go right beside the railroad tracks or on the bit of shoreline below the retaining wall.

lazyboy97o

If you have plans to show why they can’t add trees I’d love to see them.

Firetrucks already can’t go past the restrooms because there’s a railroad tunnel there, why would a row of trees along the tunnel be impossible?
View attachment 676206
That drawing shows the overall project area, it does not show specific areas.

The new restroom building, not the existing restrooms, needs its own firetruck access.

Here is the link and sheet reference:
Since it keeps coming up, the chances of any sort of berm and/or trees in the construction area to block the views from Storybook Circus are slim to none.

Above is the link to the plan submitted to the South Florida Water Management District. Sheets 3C-201 and 3C-202 show the area around the restroom building and north of the showbuilding. The bulk of this area is shaded grey, labeled "Proposed Asphalt Pavement".

Now yes, these drawings are dated 05/14/18 and Disney loves to change things. It is possible that Disney has modified the site plan in ways that no longer correlate to these drawings and also are not materially significant enough to require new drawings and further modifications to the permit. Building less asphalt area in favor of more landscape area is actually just such a change. The problem with this hypothetical that Disney could decide not to build the area as asphalt is Florida Fire Prevention Code NFPA 1 18.2.3 which requires fire department access to buildings. Disney can't decide to build a berm or even just plant a bunch of trees because then there would be no required access to the new restroom building. There are also no available alternatives to coming from the East along the north of the gravity box as coming from the south is blocked by the coaster launch. The railroad tunnel and all of the walkways prevent access from the west. Access from the north would require running parallel to the train tracks, something that would required significant modification to the retention pond and likely changes to the drawings. So no, there is not some big plot in the construction area that could become a lush forest to hide the showbuilding, it will instead almost certainly be beautiful asphalt for people to look at from the coaster, the walkways and the Walt Disney World Railroad.

James Alucobond

^ Took the liberty of highlighting the only area beyond the immediate vicinity of the tracks at the level of the show building that looks like it could support moderate landscaping. Note that the structure marked "future building" is just the restroom building, not the show building. There is almost no space shown for landscaping alongside the show building itself beyond the retaining wall.
planting_area.png

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m not an engineer so maybe I’m reading this totally wrong but that looks to be about 20-25’ between the tracks and the restroom and about 10’ between the pavement next to the restroom and the pond. Not a ton of room but definitely enough for a row of trees. I made sure the scale was in the phot for reference.

Not sure where the canopy/bridge is, maybe that eliminates a lot of that area I shaded green. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Along the pond and road beside the building looks like 40-50’.

Am i reading this wrong? Is that land not plantable?

Am I just grasping at straws hoping they’ll be able to hide the building better?
DDA93847-33AA-417B-9B92-C63809391848.jpeg

James Alucobond

You can see by the series of dashed lines that the ground slopes away very quickly toward the retention pond, and anything you've highlighted beyond the thick black line will only serve to hide the retention wall, not much of the show building itself. You're correct in thinking that they'll likely be able to fit in tall plantings on either side of the train tracks, but the show building is simply too tall. You'll still be able to see it from many areas within Storybook Circus. And even if they fill the narrow channel alongside the paved path to the restroom building with tall bamboo, I don't think it will achieve anything. It's nowhere near the height of the building itself.

Honestly, their best bet might be to erect more structures within Storybook Circus itself (e.g. along the Barnstormer queue, near Fantasyland Station) to better obfuscate the building. It probably won't be a problem while actually traveling along the new path running parallel to the train or even aboard the train itself. It's a problem when you step back a bit and the plantings are no longer right next to you to hide the behemoth.

matt9112

One is a highly themed ride and one is just a generic coaster. Of course its going to take more time to build. The point still stands that in your average guests eyes it's not a good look.

A big black box is highly themed? Is rock n roller coaster highly themed?

lazyboy97o

I’m not an engineer so maybe I’m reading this totally wrong but that looks to be about 20-25’ between the tracks and the restroom and about 10’ between the pavement next to the restroom and the pond. Not a ton of room but definitely enough for a row of trees. I made sure the scale was in the phot for reference.

Not sure where the canopy/bridge is, maybe that eliminates a lot of that area I shaded green. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Along the pond and road beside the building looks like 40-50’.

Am i reading this wrong? Is that land not plantable?

Am I just grasping at straws hoping they’ll be able to hide the building better?View attachment 676227
Tall plants require sizable roots to keep them in place. Think of how often you can see tree toots that have pushed up a sidewalk. You don’t want that happening to the railroad, pipes underground, the road or the retaining wall (which goes back further than you can see). So that limits your space. The steep grades down to the pond also limit space.

Incomudro

Compared to the big blue box in Epcot, or the hideous back of Galaxy’s edge, this is barely noticeable.

I’m still hoping they’ll add some trees along the side, and especially in the railroad/restroom area since that’s visible from areas inside the park, but seeing show buildings from outside the parks and on the monorails has happened for decades.

I wish they tried harder to hide them like they used to also but in the grand scheme of current Disney problems I’m not sure this would even make my top 100 list.
Plus, seeing the Tron building doesn't break the illusion - because there is no illusion with Tron.
It's way different seeing this show building vs the back of Everest, or Galaxy's Edge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom