News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

No Name

Have you seen it from BLT or are you just being offended on their behalf? I've actually stood on the roof and tried to anger myself intentionally.
I’ve seen it from BLT and found it very ugly and very destructive to the formerly wonderful view, because it is. It’s also pretty bad from the monorail and World Drive. It’s even bad from Ohana at the Polynesian. These were some of the most beautifully and carefully crafted views in the country and now they’re not. Nobody is “offended” over anything though.

lazyboy97o

Plus, seeing the Tron building doesn't break the illusion - because there is no illusion with Tron.
It's way different seeing this show building vs the back of Everest, or Galaxy's Edge.
Theme parks are highly designed visual environments. The illusion operates beyond just the conceit of individual attractions. It breaks the illusion of Storybook Circus and Tomorrowland.

Animaniac93-98

Theme parks are highly designed visual environments. The illusion operates beyond just the conceit of individual attractions. It breaks the illusion of Storybook Circus and Tomorrowland.

And in the case of WDW, the visual environment extends well beyond the turnstiles of each theme park to encompass the entire resort property. It's why the placement, size and design of hotels, lakes, roads, and other infrastructure was intended a certain way.

corran horn

I’ve seen it from BLT and found it very ugly and very destructive to the formerly wonderful view, because it is. It’s also pretty bad from the monorail and World Drive. It’s even bad from Ohana at the Polynesian. These were some of the most beautifully and carefully crafted views in the country and now they’re not. Nobody is “offended” over anything though.
Disney would advise you simply turn your head 5 degrees to the left.

I haven't thought to look from Ohana, but from the ferry it's barely visible.

_caleb

Which is why having giant boxes, blocky high-rises and pylons everywhere now is disappointing.
But this hasn’t been the case in a long while now—if it ever truly was.

This is why the Swan and Dolphin always come up in discussions about sight lines. It didn’t just start with the back of Everest, the BBB, or TRON. Disney hasn’t followed its own “rules” of theming since, well, ever. I guess now they’ve just stopped pretending?

Animaniac93-98

This is why the Swan and Dolphin always come up in discussions about sight lines. It didn’t just start with the back of Everest, the BBB, or TRON. Disney hasn’t followed its own “rules” of theming since, well, ever. I guess now they’ve just stopped pretending?

It is happening much more frequently with much less care.

Swan and Dolphin are at least architectural pieces and not just a big box like the GotG show building.

UNCgolf

My understanding is that Disney didn't really have a great choice with the Swan and Dolphin since a third party had rights, and they used a name architect to at least make them distinct instead of generic boxes.

Regardless, it's easier to overlook when it's only in a handful of places instead of everywhere. Not that it's everywhere yet (or even close to everywhere), but it's certainly becoming more common around the resort as a whole.

Last edited:

_caleb

My understanding is that Disney didn't really have a great choice with the Swan and Dolphin, and they used a name architect to at least make them distinct instead of generic boxes.

Regardless, it's easier to overlook when it's only in a handful of places instead of everywhere. Not that it's everywhere yet, but it's certainly becoming more common around the resort as a whole.
Yeah, at least they used to try to manage it. Then they sort of only pretended to. Now they don’t even do that (staring at the Harmonious barges).

lazyboy97o

Do you just sit around doing nothing because nothing you ever do can be perfect? No, people practice and get better but even the best of us still practice. Singers flub up their own lyrics and hit the wrong note, but they don’t just stop trying because sometimes things are imperfect. An ideal is something to strive for and failure does not negate its value. Creative endeavors really need deadlines because they can always be tweaked and improved.

There’s also a huge world of different between coming up short of your aspirations and just not caring. The Swan and Dolphin are not the result of not caring, but are in fact the result of caring a lot. Eisner hated the idea that Tishman could do whatever and went to great effort, pains, legal trouble and expense to finally come to the outcome where Disney hired a famous architect for Tishman. Eisner’s judgement that the view would work was incorrect, and he changed his mind, but it wasn’t the result of apathy or disregard for the concept of sight lines.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some latest construction photos of TRON

Tron_Full_49134.jpg

Tron_Full_49135.jpg

_caleb

Do you just sit around doing nothing because nothing you ever do can be perfect? No, people practice and get better but even the best of us still practice. Singers flub up their own lyrics and hit the wrong note, but they don’t just stop trying because sometimes things are imperfect. An ideal is something to strive for and failure does not negate its value. Creative endeavors really need deadlines because they can always be tweaked and improved.

There’s also a huge world of different between coming up short of your aspirations and just not caring. The Swan and Dolphin are not the result of not caring, but are in fact the result of caring a lot. Eisner hated the idea that Tishman could do whatever and went to great effort, pains, legal trouble and expense to finally come to the outcome where Disney hired a famous architect for Tishman. Eisner’s judgement that the view would work was incorrect, and he changed his mind, but it wasn’t the result of apathy or disregard for the concept of sight lines.
In your opinion, has Disney gotten better at this, or have they decided that it matters less?

Your post makes it sound like you’d give them a pass on TRON because they’ve got to do something and, well, nobody’s perfect. Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

Incomudro

It breaks a bit of it from Storybook Circus.
I don't see what it breaks from ground level in Tomorrowland.
I used to see the tracks in 20k from the Skyway - that broke some illusion.
In any event Tron is a mechanical things.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah, at least they used to try to manage it. Then they sort of only pretended to. Now they don’t even do that (staring at the Harmonious barges).
I think this is why I keep going back to the row of trees, it’s what we’ve been staring at since the 90s with the Indiana Jones show building at DL.

It’s not perfect, and it’s still a huge box right next to the monorail, but the trees and faux painting help it blend in a bit and it at least feels like they tried.

Completely hidden show buildings in the 50s-70s, seen but they tried to make it blend in the 80s-00s, now we get a big blue box in Epcot.

7B71B0E3-EB56-4ED5-966D-72BC2CE75FBF.png

Incomudro

My understanding is that Disney didn't really have a great choice with the Swan and Dolphin since a third party had rights, and they used a name architect to at least make them distinct instead of generic boxes.

Regardless, it's easier to overlook when it's only in a handful of places instead of everywhere. Not that it's everywhere yet (or even close to everywhere), but it's certainly becoming more common around the resort as a whole.
It is adding up, that's for sure.
I can take the bid blue box in Epcot - though I think it was a poor choice - in and of itself.
But put the giant barges in front of it, and it's bad show on top of bad show.
I can take the backstage views of Tron, as it's not a natural looking place showing its mechanical structure - but I will admit that it's part of trend.
At least it stands alone in Magic Kingdom.
But, if you add it to those things in Epcot, and the bad views outside Galaxy's Edge - yes - it's part of an unfortunate trend mostly due to tacked on attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom