News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

Everyone keeps talking about views from Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower. I've been slight hints from a video and that one nighttime picture. We got some pics? Can we get some pics in here of what the view is?
It’s hard to find pictures that list exactly where they’re taken from, but this looks fairly accurate to me based on what I saw when I was last there. Again, I don’t think it was blue when I last visited, but if anything, I feel like that makes it worse.
1667413116056.jpeg

ToTBellHop

It’s hard to find pictures that list exactly where they’re taken from, but this looks fairly accurate to me based on what I saw when I was last there. Again, I don’t think it was blue when I last visited, but if anything, I feel like that makes it worse.
View attachment 676315
I don’t understand why they didn’t just paint it slightly off-white. You’ve always been able to see some backstage buildings from Contemporary but why draw attention to the building?

You can see the go-away green small world building to the left but it doesn’t draw your eye. I wouldn’t do go-away green here due to in-park views. Some sort of white like much of Tomorrowland.

JoeCamel

I don’t understand why they didn’t just paint it slightly off-white. You’ve always been able to see some backstage buildings from Contemporary but why draw attention to the building?

You can see the go-away green small world building to the left but it doesn’t draw your eye. I wouldn’t do go-away green here due to in-park views. Some sort of white like much of Tomorrowland.
They tried to break up the outline of the building.......

J4546

View attachment 676315
I bet that will look kinda cool at night from the hotel seeing the pulsing bands of color flow through the canopy, but during the day i get that the giant box makes some people unhappy.

Overall Im really on board with this addition to the park though, because 1 - I love TRON the IP, the og movie is classic Disney imo and seeing that IP get a massive park attraction esp taking place on lightcycles is just a dream from my childhood come true. 2 - its an actual addition adding a new area to the park where there was just a path. 3 - Canopy looks great imo and gives a new futurist aesthetic that will hopefully carry to the rest of the land(starting with speedway hopefully) and the way they are using trees and landscaping with the canopy is turning out pretty beautiful imo but its still not done. and 4 - while its not an exclusive one off ride, the only other one is in Shanghai and I will probably not ever go to that park in my lifetime. So its an attraction I otherwise wouldnt get to experience

Vegas Disney Fan

View attachment 676315

My first reaction when seeing this was “but what if you are looking over the whole park rather than zooming in on that area?”

Not much better. 😂

AB43E251-BA9B-49CA-8A51-DC3BE6F1D15A.jpeg

corran horn

View attachment 676315
That building in the foreground has only been there about 50 years probably, and I can hear it thinking to itself, "What about me! I want to be considered destructive too!".

James Alucobond

That building in the foreground has only been there about 50 years probably, and I can hear it thinking to itself, "What about me! I want to be considered destructive too!".
It's not great, but it sits below the treeline, looks like a functioning building with windows, and doesn't rival Space Mountain in terms of actual size. TRON is just a monumental undisguised warehouse box. As with Cosmic Rewind, I would simply appreciate any effort at all to make the structure look like something other than a huge, featureless show building. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if it's going to be in plain view, at least have it look like the slightest bit of thought went into it.

James Alucobond

And TRON will never ever be below the treeline. I'm honestly just not sure how this is a point of contention. There are certainly other show buildings and maintenance structures that you can see if you look; that doesn't negate the fact that TRON is exponentially larger and plainly visible from many locations where views are offered at a premium, at a height and scale that rivals or exceeds the defining structures of the park like Space Mountain and Cinderella's castle.

corran horn

And TRON will never ever be below the treeline. I'm honestly just not sure how this is a point of contention. There are certainly other show buildings and maintenance structures that you can see if you look; that doesn't negate the fact that TRON is exponentially larger and plainly visible from many locations where views are offered at a premium, at a height and scale that rivals or exceeds the defining structures of the park like Space Mountain and Cinderella's castle.
I think I and Disney would simply say, turn your head slightly to the left. Actually look at the park instead of the edge case that you dislike.

If you can see any backstage at all that shatters the magic I guess I just wonder what the point of being bothered by it is. You could always see it from California Grill as well. Even in the 70s.

BLT is DVC. More than any other people staying there are doing so purposefully and with a stake. I'm sure they thought about such things. They consider that outside the environs of the park, for whatever their reasoning.

Given the space they had available and the cost of either putting the entire building underground or extending the curtain over the entire structure (which would then truly rival Space Mountain, something they probably didn't want to do) they did what they did.

JoeCamel

I think I and Disney would simply say, turn your head slightly to the left. Actually look at the park instead of the edge case that you dislike.

If you can see any backstage at all that shatters the magic I guess I just wonder what the point of being bothered by it is. You could always see it from California Grill as well. Even in the 70s.

BLT is DVC. More than any other people staying there are doing so purposefully and with a stake. I'm sure they thought about such things. They consider that outside the environs of the park, for whatever their reasoning.

Given the space they had available and the cost of either putting the entire building underground or extending the curtain over the entire structure (which would then truly rival Space Mountain, something they probably didn't want to do) they did what they did.
I think your last paragraph is my beef with this box. The land, the park is all circles this angular intrusion is not in keeping although it could have been with very little effort but greater expense.
If they had put some curves or something besides paint to hide the box it might be OK. Still in the wrong place but not as egregious an error as it presents today.
In defense of the "you can always see backstage if you look for it" crowd it could have been much better. They did what they did and it is just one more thing that diminishes my appreciation for "Disney Magic™"

lazyboy97o

In your opinion, has Disney gotten better at this, or have they decided that it matters less?

Your post makes it sound like you’d give them a pass on TRON because they’ve got to do something and, well, nobody’s perfect. Maybe I’m misunderstanding.
I think they’re generally worse of late.

I’m not saying TRON deserves a pass. I’m saying the inability to achieve perfection is not an excuse to not try. TRON is not an example of Disney trying to do their best.

Incomudro

If you're telling me to look left, I'm stating my desire to not have to avert my gaze. That it doesn't bother you is great, but you can't pretend that this case isn't fundamentally different. Whether or not Disney chose to accept that it would be unattractive is small comfort.
I don't think the show was ever designed to be hidden from that height.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom