News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

SilentWindODoom

I've heard nothing but praises in this thread for how Hagrid's is how to do things, so it must work!

Great aerial shot from the usual suspect:

Looking at this... why didn't they just expand next to the arcade building by cutting across the incline on the edge of the Speedway? The cars are on tracks, so it's not like you need to worry about them crashing into the wall, and it would double the width of the pathway back to Tron. You could paint "theming" on the new wall. Seems like an easy fix to the problem.

Is The Grump Disney IP?

Disney is a proper name and needs to be capitalized, but it made me read this as you saying "Grump Disney", like the races they run.

Highly cringeworthy.

I can’t imagine anyone overly excited to work at this ride vs. others on property. It’s not like Tower of Terror or even Flight of Passage or whatnot where there’s a story to engage with, it’s a fun ride with some decorations but that’s really the extent of it.

Tron will likely be around for a long time. Whether it goes wonderfully and is beloved or is a total disaster, you'll forever get to say "I was there when it opened. I was a part of it." Sounds like a fun badge for anyone, but especially these CM's who live this life and as someone said put in to be a part of it.

MrPromey

I’ve always thought it was obvious that WDW wanted to build Tron next to space so they could close Space Mountain for an extended time - maybe forever?

They could, for example, tear down the coaster and make space mountain some other type of experience… maybe like the play pavilion?

Maybe that's why the Play Pavilion has been (rumored to be) quietly canceled - they decided to move it to MK, instead. :joyfull:

MrPromey

... Of course, when you're up on the TTA, you'll see it clearly. But many attractions that give you height often break 'sight lines.' (I'm on a Tomorrowland ride, but I can see four different lands!!!) ...

OMG - the horrors visible from the Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House! :oops:

... if you look for them.

I'm a stickler for theming and place-making - while I like it, Test Track has never sat right with me due to the back loop*, for instance - but there are simply limits to what can reasonably be expected.

I think they should always work up to and plan around those limits and when possible, do their best to push them but there's a difference between being lazy (where there are plenty of recent examples) and just having to deal with reality, despite being in a park centered on fantasy.

*Like any good purist, I still hold a grudge for what they tore out to put it there, too, of course.

Last edited:

MrPromey

... Let’s face it: there is not 7 months worth of work left on this construction, even if you slow down progress massively...
Let me introduce you to the Center Street Thread:

👍

TheMaxRebo

Highly cringeworthy.

I can’t imagine anyone overly excited to work at this ride vs. others on property. It’s not like Tower of Terror or even Flight of Passage or whatnot where there’s a story to engage with, it’s a fun ride with some decorations but that’s really the extent of it.

I know some CM's that have worked opening teams of other attractions - seems exciting for them and a good memory, etc .... Maybe a little over the top but still, they applied for something new and got it, I can understand being excited

JohnD

There was some suggestion this area would be lockers, but they are indeed restrooms -

But it would need lockers, right? The closest Disney has to lockers is making you put your stuff in compartments on the back wall before riding FOP. That's because the experience is like getting on a bike which is what this ride is. I can't see you being able to carry your stuff with you while on this ride.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

But it would need lockers, right? The closest Disney has to lockers is making you put your stuff in compartments on the back wall before riding FOP. That's because the experience is liking getting on a bike which is what this ride is. I can't see you being able to carry your stuff with you while on this ride.
Lockers are in the ride building in SDL. I presume we will see the same.

I wish everywhere would mimic the Velocicoaster system.

JohnD

Lockers are in the ride building in SDL. I presume we will see the same.

I wish everywhere would mimic the Velocicoaster system.

Thanks. I haven't been back to Uni since Veloci or Hagrid's was built. Please elaborate for those of us, like me, who don't know about the system.

ToTBellHop

Thanks. I haven't been back to Uni since Veloci or Hagrid's was built. Please elaborate for those of us, like me, who don't know about the system.
So you get in line with your stuff. Right before boarding, you go into a room with lockers followed by metal detectors. But the lockers have doors on both sides. They are set up like you are in the outside of a U. After the ride, you exit into the inside of the U and get your stuff from the other door. So you are away from your things for mere minutes, people entering and exiting don’t mix, and no one can use the lockers for a free 2 hour rental while they are elsewhere.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Gosh, it’s hard to think of a clearer addition-by-subtraction in magic kingdom than this awful awful awful power & light/store/old arcade building. Garish, blocks old and new great views, will be terrible for traffic flow. I guess it must have been marginally cheaper than a new, smaller gift shop at the TRON site so it stayed, but man do I hate this thing.

They simply did not have enough time to do that, given the tight timelines for getting Tron built and opened up.

Others' Space Mountain comments: Want to know when a good time to re-do Space would be? 2008. Not 2028.

James Alucobond

I am wondering what the view from the main entrace for tron will be like (The view from the highest point on the walkway). I hope it doesn't just look like a view of backstage areas.
They seem to be blocking most backstage views from the flyover. There's an elevated planter containing rows of evergreens that blocks the view toward the Speedway service building, and there's a set of currently empty planters to the left of the restroom building that will likely block most views of the retention pond and adjacent backstage areas. Beyond the restrooms, views of the show building are blocked by a large poured concrete wall, and it's likely that there will be a high wall on the right side of the path around where the railing currently ends that blocks views toward Space Mountain.

I'd be much more concerned about what things will look like from Storybook Circus. Views along the path to the attraction itself seem fairly considered.

Bostb71

Don’t you like this view? It’s even more magical when it’s lit at night.

View attachment 675753
The current lights at night on the backside of the building are blinding. They're giant floodlamps covering those stairwells. The view from the Contemporary is horrible. When I first saw them I thought they had to be construction work lights, but there was no work going on in that area; it looks pretty permanent. Those lights are bright enough to light a stadium.

mysto

I am wondering what the view from the main entrace for tron will be like (The view from the highest point on the walkway). I hope it doesn't just look like a view of backstage areas.

The concept art offers some guidance:

1667236200648.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom