News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kev1982

I have a feeling (just a feeling) that in 3-5 years Disney is gonna announce SM is getting redone like Tokyo and they will tear out all of it and redo that area from scratch. I may very well be wrong of course.
I m thinking the same. New Space Mountain and something with the Speedway. The whole land in a mess but that’s ok these days 🤔

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have a feeling (just a feeling) that in 3-5 years Disney is gonna announce SM is getting redone like Tokyo and they will tear out all of it and redo that area from scratch. I may very well be wrong of course.
Doubtful. My guess is Tokyo's Space Mountain will be more intense and probably along the lines of Cosmic Rewind's ride system. WDW's SM is still more accessible and relatively less intense...or way less intense if they ever properly replace the tracks.

If something is done, I highly doubt they'd tear it down and start over, that's way more money than current Disney management wants to spend after just spending so much on TRON

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve always thought it was obvious that WDW wanted to build Tron next to space so they could close Space Mountain for an extended time - maybe forever?

They could, for example, tear down the coaster and make space mountain some other type of experience… maybe like the play pavilion?

Vegas Disney Fan

Doubtful. My guess is Tokyo's Space Mountain will be more intense and probably along the lines of Cosmic Rewind's ride system. WDW's SM is still more accessible and relatively less intense...or way less intense if they ever properly replace the tracks.

If something is done, I highly doubt they'd tear it down and start over, that's way more money than current Disney management wants to spend after just spending so much on TRON
Judging by the construction area already being prepped in Tokyo I agree, it looks like they are already preparing a space suitable for a big blue box in the parking lot behind where the Space Mtn building is and the new cupcake building will be.

Fortunately their BBB area looks like it’ll be hidden backstage rather than visible from most the park.

lazyboy97o

I’ve always thought it was obvious that WDW wanted to build Tron next to space so they could close Space Mountain for an extended time - maybe forever?

They could, for example, tear down the coaster and make space mountain some other type of experience… maybe like the play pavilion?
TRON’s placement has nothing to do with any long range plans. The whole thing was done in a panic of needing to add capacity. It sits where it does because it fits there with the least amount of effort and minimal change to the existing design.

RSoxNo1

Are we expecting trees to hide a significant portion of the show building? I know it's large but I don't believe it's anywhere near the same height as Cosmic Rewind.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are we expecting trees to hide a significant portion of the show building? I know it's large but I don't believe it's anywhere near the same height as Cosmic Rewind.
From Buzz's M&G all the way to the Northern end of Speedway, the Big Blue Box is practically invisible from the ground level. The TTA and Speedway landscaping, and the ride's canopy pretty much hides it. Of course, when you're up on the TTA, you'll see it clearly. But many attractions that give you height often break 'sight lines.' (I'm on a Tomorrowland ride, but I can see four different lands!!!)

Once you round Speedway and head to the RR station, the BBB is obvious. (As well as the BoH building between Dumbo and Speedway painted go-away-green... but I've never seen anyone complain about it.)

Once you pass the station and start walking along the shortcut patch between Circus and Tomorrowland, there is a wall of tall Arbor Vitae that you're right next to, which completely blocks the view of the BBB.

Plant more of that elsewhere, and almost all sightline problems (from within the park at ground level) disappear. The most recent pictures of the site show tall, full trees being planted to hide other sight lines, such as what will be from the train.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

From Buzz's M&G all the way to the Northern end of Speedway, the Big Blue Box is practically invisible from the ground level. The TTA and Speedway landscaping pretty much hides it. Of course, when you're up on the TTA, you'll see it clearly. But many attractions that give you height often break 'sight lines.'

Once you round Speedway and head to the RR station, the BBB is obvious. (As well as the BoH building between Dumbo and Speedway painted go-away-green... but I've never seen anyone complain about it.)

Once you pass the station and start walking along the shortcut patch between Circus and Tomorrowland, there is a wall of tall Arbor Vitae that you're right next to, which completely blocks the view of the BBB.

Plant more of that elsewhere, and almost all sightline problems (from within the park at ground level) disappear. The most recent pictures of the site show tall, full trees being planted to hide other sight lines, such as what will be from the train.
Great to hear and thanks for the thorough run down. I haven't been since November and didn't really look for sight line issues on an active construction site.

fgmnt

From Buzz's M&G all the way to the Northern end of Speedway, the Big Blue Box is practically invisible from the ground level. The TTA and Speedway landscaping, and the ride's canopy pretty much hides it. Of course, when you're up on the TTA, you'll see it clearly. But many attractions that give you height often break 'sight lines.' (I'm on a Tomorrowland ride, but I can see four different lands!!!)

Some parts of backstage you won't be able to hide from the Storybook Circus - Tomorrowland bypass, but for what it's worth, there was some backstage visible from that path 5-10 years ago as well iirc.

celluloid

Some parts of backstage you won't be able to hide from the Storybook Circus - Tomorrowland bypass, but for what it's worth, there was some backstage visible from that path 5-10 years ago as well iirc.

It was also a glorified smoking area as much as it was a little used shortcut back then and left over from the get-go from a land that was overstayed temporary.

Things should improve when such a big change occurs. Not continue the mistake.

celluloid

I'm stunned that the accountants approved restrooms for this project. It's well known that there is no ROI for restrooms and they increase budgets and timelines. What a boondoggle!! Iger must have been bribed by big porcelain.

No direct ROI, but like free water to drink, they notice an uptick in satisfaction purchases at nearby locations when someone is relieved or if they do not have to go far to change a baby from the area they were going to shop in.
It is all well accounted for.
Feminine Hygiene products are also not free.

ToTBellHop

I'm stunned that the accountants approved restrooms for this project. It's well known that there is no ROI for restrooms and they increase budgets and timelines. What a boondoggle!! Iger must have been bribed by big porcelain.
Look more closely to understand:
1667146429931.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom