News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The most recent exit gift shop at WDW (Flight if Passage) is one of the best themed exit gift shops and filled with a bunch of unique merchandise. While not a full exit gift shop, the stands that sell merch near Slinky Dog Dash are all very well themed too. There's a lot to worry about with modern Disney, newly built shops being poorly themed doesn't seem to be one of them.

That gift shop was also recently decluttered.

But we bypass it with the exit at the bottom of the stairs to the right.

lazyboy97o

So I don't know if anybody here has seen Ralph Breaks The Internet, and mild spoilers for anyone who hasn't, but right in the beginning of the movie Ralph and Venelope jump into the old Tron game to race the speeder bikes for some fun. I couldn't help but wonder if this was a shrewd but quite clever way for Disney to refresh viewers on the Tron IP in preparation for the Tron attraction coming to MK. I know a lot of people were a little baffled that even though many do know Tron, it's certainly not the most popular or succesful IP out there. I just couldn't help but get the feeling that Tron being in WiR2 was Disney reminding everyone about Tron, especially younger audiences, so that they have some level of familiarity once the attraction opens. WiR2 looks to. be a huge hit, so the cross pollination of IPs should definitely work in their favor. My shower thought for the day.
No, the Parks follow the Studio. TRON, like Ratatouille, was approved because it existed.

twilight mitsuk

International parks work differently though (especially Shanghai where the audience isn't used to Disney)

Recent projects in american parks have pretty much abandoned the exit gift shop concept
FoP is really the only exception, and even then, you can usually bypass that shop

GotG and Ratatouille won't have shops either, according to what Marni has said
What about the new potter ride

RSoxNo1

The most recent exit gift shop at WDW (Flight if Passage) is one of the best themed exit gift shops and filled with a bunch of unique merchandise. While not a full exit gift shop, the stands that sell merch near Slinky Dog Dash are all very well themed too. There's a lot to worry about with modern Disney, newly built shops being poorly themed doesn't seem to be one of them.
Most of that merchandise is finding it's way to the discount rack. As most people anticipated, the demand for Avatar merchandise is limited at best. The banshees were seemingly a flash in the pan success but that has certainly tapered off. They've been at the outlets as well.

Disneyrailfan1996

Any idea if Journey’s Only Solution and 1990s theme will be played anywhere on the ride (queue, entrance, exit, etc)? How about any part of the original film’s Wendy Carlos soundtrack?
Sorry, I’m a bit of a geek (...and a journey/Steve Perry fan).

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Most of that merchandise is finding it's way to the discount rack. As most people anticipated, the demand for Avatar merchandise is limited at best. The banshees were seemingly a flash in the pan success but that has certainly tapered off. They've been at the outlets as well.
Yeah. As much as we all want unique merchandise at every location, there's a reason that isn't really the case any more. Most of that wasn't even really Avatar merchandise. It was mostly all specific to the land and the park and the creatures seen in the rides.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Just speculating, but maybe the congestion is causes in the shops is actually counter productive.
I thought it could also be in part that the "exit through the gift shop" design worked much better back in the old days when people would move through the parks at a slower pace. With all the planning that is required nowadays, people most likely set aside a specific time to shop/get souvenirs. just a thought.

Bocabear

I thought it could also be in part that the "exit through the gift shop" design worked much better back in the old days when people would move through the parks at a slower pace. With all the planning that is required nowadays, people most likely set aside a specific time to shop/get souvenirs. just a thought.
I think you are right about the pace... the way the parks are enjoyed have changed drastically since the advent of Fastpass Plus...Now the parks have become a gauntlet run all planned months in advance...not leisurely and certainly not spntaneously...and the amazing thing is, the lines for everything were shorter...

Disneyhead'71

My guess is that having the huge amount of congestion moving through the stores leads to a lot of shoplifting.

celluloid

Big synergy properties within lands also seem to have a trend to market shops as minor attractions in themselves. They want guests in to take their time to explore, to echo what Marni said, remaining comfortable eneough to still take time and for the guest to become invested.

FullSailDan

Big synergy properties within lands also seem to have a trend to market shops as minor attractions in themselves. They want guests in to take their time to explore, to echo what Marni said, remaining comfortable eneough to still take time and for the guest to become invested.

I also think the idea of attraction based merchandise is sort of dying. I don't mean themed merch, like plush characters, costumes, accessories and such, but more the "i survived tshirt", keychain, printed photo, etc. There used to be quite a big demand for those, especially the ride photo, people would mill about in the store while it printed and pick up other stuff. Now just swipe a magicband , look at it online later and order a print if you want it.

In addition, people are much less inclined to swim upstream so to speak if they are actively looking to shop. So a steady stream of people exiting means potential shoppers, that didn't ride, won't go in. Take Pooh for instance, I recently wanted to get my new niece a set of the characters for her room, but the store at the end of the ride is small, has little room to move around in, and has a steady stream of guests coming out the door. I wound up buying online despite riding 7DMT frequently and being RIGHT THERE because I just didn't want to wander in and deal with the people. Sadly the emporium doesn't always have everything, and the parks haven't done as good good of a job making some of the stores quite as obvious or welcoming. In the age of the large crowds, stores like sir mickeys, the markets in adventureland, and the small stores in frontierland become glossed over as people have to keep constant eyes on crowd flow, party members, and the errant stroller/ECV tanks. How many people even realize memento mori exists or that it has some fantastic merchandise? Or the store just outside splash & big thunder mountain?

Princess Leia

For a ride like Tron, I can’t imagine that much merch selling. Maybe some mini bikes, and copies of the soundtrack, but the film doesn’t lend itself to merch that isn’t a video game (and I don’t see that being a popular thing to grab while in the parks).

Except for Filch’s store or whatever the exit is called for Forbidden Journey, my friends and I didn’t spend too much time shopping immediately after the attractions on the last trip. In the middle of things, yes, but not right after getting off a ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For a ride like Tron, I can’t imagine that much merch selling. Maybe some mini bikes, and copies of the soundtrack, but the film doesn’t lend itself to merch that isn’t a video game (and I don’t see that being a popular thing to grab while in the parks).

Except for Filch’s store or whatever the exit is called for Forbidden Journey, my friends and I didn’t spend too much time shopping immediately after the attractions on the last trip. In the middle of things, yes, but not right after getting off a ride.
Did you see the T shirt DCA had for ElecTronica??!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom