News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Mike S

I'm also a fat guy, 6'3" 365 (well I was...now 315 and losing thanks to WLS). FoP was a cinch to ride once the operators knew how to coach people into the restraint. but I can see where folks who are shorter and/ or rounder than me would have issues on FoP, but I'm surprised they can accommodate as many as they can there. I haven't been able to fit on any Universal Coaster since I weighed 275lbs.

Splash and 7DMT are the hardest rides for me at WDW. Both because of their restraint systems. 7DMT could possible make a man sterile. and I have to sit sideways on Splash Mountain to be able to walk afterwards.

If they haven't adapted the Tron restraints to handle what the FoP restraints can handle, they are going to have a lot of complaints.
For the life of me I can’t tell that at all from your picture. Kind of surprising.

Rodan75

Well on SDMT and FOP there's other considerations besides torso/waist size, etc. The leg/calf restraint size can also be a factor.

absolutely. But I think we have heard that the overall Tron dimensions will rule out more folks than FoP or SDMT does today if they are not adjusted.

Given the panic about FoP when it opened, I expect them to be more aware of that with Tron. For the first couple of days you could easily find tweets complaining about fitting on the ride. The test seat wasn't a perfect match for the ride and no one knew how to coach bigger people into the seat properly. There is a whole thread here about it, with folks who were clearly within the sizing constraints panicked about it (myself included), that may seem like a small thing but it becomes a big issue very quickly.

I think there is a general expectation that nearly everyone can ride nearly anything at MK.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
absolutely. But I think we have heard that the overall Tron dimensions will rule out more folks than FoP or SDMT does today if they are not adjusted.

Given the panic about FoP when it opened, I expect them to be more aware of that with Tron. For the first couple of days you could easily find tweets complaining about fitting on the ride. The test seat wasn't a perfect match for the ride and no one knew how to coach bigger people into the seat properly. There is a whole thread here about it, with folks who were clearly within the sizing constraints panicked about it (myself included), that may seem like a small thing but it becomes a big issue very quickly.

I think there is a general expectation that nearly everyone can ride nearly anything at MK.

In extreme cases, I could even see a few rows of "regular" seats or a whole train of "regular" seats

Slov72

I am a pretty big guy and can ride SDMT pretty easily, the legs are definitely squished, but not the worst... can't ride FOP though, I have no problem with the upper body, only the leg restraints... pair large calves with large size 14 feet and there is just no room to scrunch them up.... the only problem I have with this is there doesn't seem to be a need for such restrictive leg restraints from what I have been told. Either way, from what I have seen from Shanghai I don't think Tron will be an option for me unless I drop a lot of weight (which I am trying to do).

TrojanUSC

I am a pretty big guy and can ride SDMT pretty easily, the legs are definitely squished, but not the worst... can't ride FOP though, I have no problem with the upper body, only the leg restraints... pair large calves with large size 14 feet and there is just no room to scrunch them up.... the only problem I have with this is there doesn't seem to be a need for such restrictive leg restraints from what I have been told. Either way, from what I have seen from Shanghai I don't think Tron will be an option for me unless I drop a lot of weight (which I am trying to do).

Those SDMT restraints are horrible. Why they didn’t make them like Slinky or Space I’ll never know.

Monorail_Red_77

Massive Crane & what I assume to be pilings being driven on the Tron Site
View attachment 326770View attachment 326771

The lot looks like SWL looked two years ago. Dirt and supporting walls lol.
Yes, that is equipment for pile driving.
Here are pics from yesterday 11/27.

as viewed from monorail train with functioning and closed doors.
AC904421-F02D-4CE5-9993-CD5AB55FCCA7.jpeg

as viewed from tomorrowland speedway car.
A462CFE6-960C-4968-A2CE-7491405925B2.jpeg

for comparison, similar equipment installing piles for a new interchange bridge on my local interstate roadway.
6249157F-27AC-4AF9-8CC4-8C85D14F3FB0.jpeg

FigmentFan82

So I don't know if anybody here has seen Ralph Breaks The Internet, and mild spoilers for anyone who hasn't, but right in the beginning of the movie Ralph and Venelope jump into the old Tron game to race the speeder bikes for some fun. I couldn't help but wonder if this was a shrewd but quite clever way for Disney to refresh viewers on the Tron IP in preparation for the Tron attraction coming to MK. I know a lot of people were a little baffled that even though many do know Tron, it's certainly not the most popular or succesful IP out there. I just couldn't help but get the feeling that Tron being in WiR2 was Disney reminding everyone about Tron, especially younger audiences, so that they have some level of familiarity once the attraction opens. WiR2 looks to. be a huge hit, so the cross pollination of IPs should definitely work in their favor. My shower thought for the day.

Incomudro

So I don't know if anybody here has seen Ralph Breaks The Internet, and mild spoilers for anyone who hasn't, but right in the beginning of the movie Ralph and Venelope jump into the old Tron game to race the speeder bikes for some fun. I couldn't help but wonder if this was a shrewd but quite clever way for Disney to refresh viewers on the Tron IP in preparation for the Tron attraction coming to MK. I know a lot of people were a little baffled that even though many do know Tron, it's certainly not the most popular or succesful IP out there. I just couldn't help but get the feeling that Tron being in WiR2 was Disney reminding everyone about Tron, especially younger audiences, so that they have some level of familiarity once the attraction opens. WiR2 looks to. be a huge hit, so the cross pollination of IPs should definitely work in their favor. My shower thought for the day.

Sounds very plausible to me.
"I saw that in Ralph Breaks the Internet..."

DisneyDreamerxyz

so after December are we to assume construction walls will go up to block out people from the walking path ?

does anyone know if Tron will have a gift shop or not? Disney loves their "exit the ride" giftshops so I'm assuming there will be one for this. I know I've read that Disney doesn't plan on adding anything else in this expansion except the ride, but there could still be a Tron stand/gift shop/kiosks.

Timothy_Q

does anyone know if Tron will have a gift shop or not? Disney loves their "exit the ride" giftshops so I'm assuming there will be one for this. I know I've read that Disney doesn't plan on adding anything else in this expansion except the ride, but there could still be a Tron stand/gift shop/kiosks.
That's a very outdated idea.

Disney has mostly avoided "exit through the gift shop" in the past decade

jrm477

That's a very outdated idea.

Disney has mostly avoided "exit through the gift shop" in the past decade

Have they really though? I’m thinking Flight if Passage and a good chunk of Shanghai (Pooh, Pirates, Buzz), all are exit through the gift shop. New Fantasyland, Paris Ratatouille and Cars Land aren’t, so it seems to be a 50/50 proposition

Incidentally, racking your brain to think of truly net new, ground up builds in the last 10 years is kind of a depressing exercise.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

Have they really though? I’m thinking Flight if Passage and a good chunk of Shanghai (Pooh, Pirates, Buzz), all are exit through the gift shop. New Fantasyland, Paris Ratatouille and Cars Land aren’t, so it seems to be a 50/50 proposition
International parks work differently though (especially Shanghai where the audience isn't used to Disney)

Recent projects in american parks have pretty much abandoned the exit gift shop concept
FoP is really the only exception, and even then, you can usually bypass that shop

GotG and Ratatouille won't have shops either, according to what Marni has said

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Well that one is themed very well. I feel like any gift shop we would get with new attractions would not be.
The most recent exit gift shop at WDW (Flight if Passage) is one of the best themed exit gift shops and filled with a bunch of unique merchandise. While not a full exit gift shop, the stands that sell merch near Slinky Dog Dash are all very well themed too. There's a lot to worry about with modern Disney, newly built shops being poorly themed doesn't seem to be one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom