News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

FoP is also lousy at accommodating disabled guests, as I mentioned. So, oddly enough, is River Journey. Dwarfs, I understand, is quite cramped for larger guests.

As for Tron, I am not an engineer, but my suspicion is that Disney could modify the ride vehicles, at least to some extent, if they so chose. In any case, this issue is linked to WDWs recent focus on coasters over other ride types.

It’s worth noting that Universal is worse at accomadating different body types, though I have found them markedly better in assisting the disabled.

Dwarfs is a tight fit (FOP was fine for me). All they care about is copying and pasting. I'm about 10-15 pounds over the weight I should be so not a prime example, but Dwarfs is pretty uncomfortable and cramped for me (and I'm a shorter dude too ...). Poor design IMO.

Kman101

I was not aware of this. If this is the case, I retract some of my above complaints.

You're still not totally off-base. They do a poor job not custom creating things for WDW. They just copy and paste. I guess no one should expect them to design for the "not-average" person, but it just shows a lack of care to me or lack of awareness.

TrojanUSC

WDW, which used to be by far the most accommodating park in America for people with different body sizes/shapes and for disabled guests, seems, in the last few years, to have completely abandoned such accommodations. Among the price increases and quality declines, this newfound disregard for allowing as many folks as possible to experience new attractions is one of the most troubling decisions Disney has made.

So in short, I would be immensely surprised if they change the ride vehicles for the Orlando version. That would cost money.

I’ve heard FoP and SWMT are both pretty restrictive but Slinky is super accommodating.

TrojanUSC

FoP is also lousy at accommodating disabled guests, as I mentioned. So, oddly enough, is River Journey. Dwarfs, I understand, is quite cramped for larger guests.

As for Tron, I am not an engineer, but my suspicion is that Disney could modify the ride vehicles, at least to some extent, if they so chose. In any case, this issue is linked to WDWs recent focus on coasters over other ride types.

It’s worth noting that Universal is worse at accomadating different body types, though I have found them markedly better in assisting the disabled.

It’s not entirely linked. Slinky is fine for just about everyone, as is RnR. Yet 7DMT is horrible.

BrianLo

I found a video that shows the outside of the ride in Shanghai for a period of time so I could see the time between trains which was between 33 and 40 seconds. Each train holds 14 people so the THRC would be between 1260 and 1526.

I'll bet $5 and say this is was video:

And thanks to you, I'm stuck listening to the great area loop.

I actually took out my phone and stop watched it last Spring - there was no great video that consistently stared at the attraction at the time. So I was a crazy person spending my time stop-watching an attraction.

My results were the best dispatch of 30.3 seconds and the longest was 40. The Average was 34.3.

I think I lost the PoTC results somewhere in the phone, but the takeaway was that attraction was quite high.

tirian

Despite the underwhelming — and outright frustrating — announcements at Destination Disney ‘18, I’m still thrilled about this attraction. I think it’ll be a sleeper hit when people realize Star Wars is nothing but two rides* and a lot of shops. Tron will strengthen the MK’s attraction lineup and make the park feel more complete.

* I realize those two attractions will be astounding, but they’re still just two things to do. Hogsmeade at Uni IOA received the same criticism when it opened.

GlacierGlacier

Massive Crane & what I assume to be pilings being driven on the Tron Site
20181118_164541.jpg
20181118_173047.jpg

The lot looks like SWL looked two years ago. Dirt and supporting walls lol.

doctornick

Despite the underwhelming — and outright frustrating — announcements at Destination Disney ‘18, I’m still thrilled about this attraction. I think it’ll be a sleeper hit when people realize Star Wars is nothing but two rides* and a lot of shops. Tron will strengthen the MK’s attraction lineup and make the park feel more complete.

* I realize those two attractions will be astounding, but they’re still just two things to do. Hogsmeade at Uni IOA received the same criticism when it opened.

Tron will absolutely help MK's attraction count, even with the relatively poor capacity. If nothing else, it provides another E-ticket thrill ride, so management should feel more comfortable closing down the mountains for refurb when needed. That's one upside that DL has over MK in that they have sufficient E-tickets to spread out and shoulder the load when any one is down.

But MK does still need another few complimentary people eaters given the huge crowds. Cutting the theater was a big shortsighted loss. Frontierland could use an all ages friendly high capacity ride (version of Western River Expedition?). Adventureland could use a thrill ride to anchor that side of the park (Fire Mountain, JTTCOTE, Indiana Jones, Moana volcanoe ride, etc.). Fantasyland is sadly way too deficient in dark rides compared to its peers worldwide.

azox

Kman101

Well said (and I think we're on the same page in regard to the new stuff). TRON only strengthens the lineup. Is it "what they needed"? I can't really say, a part of me says it's only going to create more congestion and more demand for the MK while the other parks struggle to catch up (I still wish the theater was being built). Epcot could feel more complete again in a couple of years despite people's feelings on the direction (though a flat ride for Poppins, no Coco ... seems a bit of a mistake to not go all out, the sad part is, they really need to and it seems they keep pulling things and cutting things). AK is on the right path considering it's age, IMHO, though it was underbuilt from the start. DHS' makeover feels botched to me. We needed a third land, plus an extra flat ride or two in TSL. I still don't like they chose the end of Streets for SWL. Meet and greets with Edna and Mike and Sulley, well, that's nice and welcome as extra things to do and they will have Lightning's Screenz and a refreshed Disney Junior. But it still feels like the park is going to be overrun and miserable. Fun times ahead ;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If they build the same canopy style they did in Shanghai, I wonder if it has to be closed during thunderstorms like other outdoor coasters

Rodan75

"Plus size individuals" is such a silly euphemism. I'm a fat guy, and I ride Flight of Passage just fine. The only part I find uncomfortable is the glasses, which give me a headache.

I'm also a fat guy, 6'3" 365 (well I was...now 315 and losing thanks to WLS). FoP was a cinch to ride once the operators knew how to coach people into the restraint. but I can see where folks who are shorter and/ or rounder than me would have issues on FoP, but I'm surprised they can accommodate as many as they can there. I haven't been able to fit on any Universal Coaster since I weighed 275lbs.

Splash and 7DMT are the hardest rides for me at WDW. Both because of their restraint systems. 7DMT could possible make a man sterile. and I have to sit sideways on Splash Mountain to be able to walk afterwards.

If they haven't adapted the Tron restraints to handle what the FoP restraints can handle, they are going to have a lot of complaints.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom