News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

JoeCamel

No. Mk is for families and families come in all shapes and sizes and deserve a diverse array of attractions. Saying MK is for kids only further limits the attractions and experiences contained within the park. MK needs bigger rides to balance out the years of stagnation of smaller “kiddie” focused attractions.
Yeah - sure.

cheezbat

No. Mk is for families and families come in all shapes and sizes and deserve a diverse array of attractions. Saying MK is for kids only further limits the attractions and experiences contained within the park. MK needs bigger rides to balance out the years of stagnation of smaller “kiddie” focused attractions.
While I agree with you, just look at a nice little attraction that was known as Alien Encounter...parents rioted over how ‘scary’ the attraction was for their poor little kiddos...and from all the guest complaints it seemed management decided that MK had to be kiddy friendly on all attractions from there forward. Heck, they even tried to kiddie-Fy Alien Encounter by turning it into Stitch. Problem was, dark=scary, noises in the dark=scary. Every time I experienced Stitch or AE I left surrounded by crying children.

They stopped trying to build more thrilling attractions in MK over 20 years ago.

geekza

I don't think that the complaints about Alien Encounter are really comparable to the notion that people will complain about newer non-child-friendly attractions. It was a very different situation. First of all, Alien Encounter opened over twenty years ago. More people seem to be going to MK without kids these days, so there is an expectation that there will be some attractions that aren't necessarily for the whole family. Alien Encounter was not a ride and was built in a space that had formerly housed two all-ages attractions, Mission to the Moon and Mission to Mars. People who didn't bother to investigate Alien Encounter before taking their kids to it seemed to think that because it was a "show," that it equated to something that everyone would enjoy. They could have forced each person in the queue to view a flashing neon sign six inches in front of their faces that said, "THIS ATTRACTION IS SCARY" and they'd still have had people who complained that they weren't warned ahead of time. A lot of people simply aren't very smart. It's similar to the view of animation in the US. To most people here, animation = children's entertainment. Nothing could be farther from the truth, since animation is simply a form of filmmaking and there have been plenty of animated films that are decidedly adult in nature. Since the misconception is so strongly rooted in our culture, though, people are still shocked and appalled when they see animation with mature subject matter. When I worked in a video store in high school, I always got a laugh when people would rent things like Coonskin or Watership Down and would then burst a blood vessel when they returned the tapes because they had set their kids down in front of the TV, popped in the tape, and walked away whilst Junior got an early education.

With actual rides, it's much easier for people to grasp when something isn't appropriate for young children because a ride is something physical that they can visualize before getting in line. Dark rides are perhaps the exception to this because their contents can vary in tone so wildly. The original Snow White ride was downright traumatizing! Awesome, but frightening. I'm surprised the original version lasted as long as it did. Alien Encounter was a fantastic attraction that was simply ahead of its time and built in the wrong location to be a popular success.

jkl2000

It's similar to the view of animation in the US. To most people here, animation = children's entertainment. Nothing could be farther from the truth, since animation is simply a form of filmmaking and there have been plenty of animated films that are decidedly adult in nature. Since the misconception is so strongly rooted in our culture, though, people are still shocked and appalled when they see animation with mature subject matter. When I worked in a video store in high school, I always got a laugh when people would rent things like Coonskin or Watership Down and would then burst a blood vessel when they returned the tapes because they had set their kids down in front of the TV, popped in the tape, and walked away whilst Junior got an early education.

Coonskin! Probably very few people know what that movie is these days.

LukeS7

I'm on a bit of a Photoshop kick so I decided to edit the concept art into Google Maps to get a better visualization of how big the ride is in compairson to everything else. I'm assuming I'm missing a giant box for the show building though
Untitled-5.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
While I agree with you, just look at a nice little attraction that was known as Alien Encounter...parents rioted over how ‘scary’ the attraction was for their poor little kiddos...and from all the guest complaints it seemed management decided that MK had to be kiddy friendly on all attractions from there forward. Heck, they even tried to kiddie-Fy Alien Encounter by turning it into Stitch. Problem was, dark=scary, noises in the dark=scary. Every time I experienced Stitch or AE I left surrounded by crying children.

They stopped trying to build more thrilling attractions in MK over 20 years ago.

I just want to state for the record that the part of the Peoplemover that goes into Space Mountain and it's completely dark...scares me.

I wish they would have kept the glowing paint on the side of the coaster cars so we could at least see some movement and it looked really cool IMO

matt9112

I just want to state for the record that the part of the Peoplemover that goes into Space Mountain and it's completely dark...scares me.

I wish they would have kept the glowing paint on the side of the coaster cars so we could at least see some movement and it looked really cool IMO

its 2018 i mean led lights could be on the cars or effects that are bright to any degree added into space or hell even decor inside the track area the people mover is on....its a shame space mountain could be so much more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom