News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

crxbrett

I had the opportunity to ride this launch coaster in the spring at SeaWorld San Antonio(this is not my video).

I found it to be much more "thrilling" than I thought it would be. It might be hard to compare just from the video, but anyone have any thoughts as to how this stacks up against Tron(not from a theme perspective, just the ride)?

That looks like it's loads of fun! I have not been on either, but just watching YT videos, both coasters have almost exactly 1:00 minute of ride time between launch and entry to the station. Maybe because TRON is in the dark and it is hard to see what is going on, but the outdoor one seemed like there was more to it until i compared the run times of both rides.

lazyboy97o

I had the opportunity to ride this launch coaster in the spring at SeaWorld San Antonio(this is not my video).

I found it to be much more "thrilling" than I thought it would be. It might be hard to compare just from the video, but anyone have any thoughts as to how this stacks up against Tron(not from a theme perspective, just the ride)?

On TRON Lightcycle Power Run you actually straddle the ride vehicle. This seat design is probably more like what can be expected for the new Harry Potter coaster.

po1998

On TRON Lightcycle Power Run you actually straddle the ride vehicle. This seat design is probably more like what can be expected for the new Harry Potter coaster.
Hard to tell from video, but you also straddle the vehicle at the one in SeaWorld. It is designed to look like a jet ski.

smile

Hard to tell from video, but you also straddle the vehicle at the one in SeaWorld. It is designed to look like a jet ski.

closer to fop than wave breaker, actually - check below

tron-queue-shdl-04012018-mobile-15.jpg

whole 'nother level o' straddlin' ;)

rreading

That takes two years? When EPCOT Center was built in three?

No disrespect (and I don't know the specifics), but the point you are making that EPCOT Center being built in three years supports that a build commonly takes three years. If they intended EPCOT Center to open with a full complement of rides, then they would be working on them concurrently so that they would finish at approximately the same time. They simply would have more crews working but it still took three years to finish each of the rides.

My understanding is that the extreme expense of doing all this at the same time almost sank the company.

Bairstow

Wow, that Wave Breaker video was boring. Is that a kiddie coaster?
The park bills it as a family coaster, with a height requirement of 48". It is, however, much less intense than their other two coasters- Great White, a B&M invert, and Steel Eel, a B&M hyper. Sea World Orlando could do with something similar, as all their proper coasters, while excellent, are very intense.

Jones14

I would say that TRON’s seating configuration has a lot in common with the ‘flight’ position of a flying coaster, except you’re lying on top of it instead of hanging underneath it. The way your body is bent and secured seems nearly identical.

Bairstow

I would say that TRON’s seating configuration has a lot in common with the ‘flight’ position of a flying coaster, except you’re lying on top of it instead of hanging underneath it. The way your body is bent and secured seems nearly identical.
It isn't. On a bike coaster you're bent at the waist, and lot of your weight is still borne by your seat and legs, and some by your arms. On flying coasters, at least with B&M and Vekoma's designs, your back is straight, and almost all your weight is taken up by the chest harness. In practice, comfort and visibility on bike coasters is far worse than on flyers, and the almost all the appeal is in the gimmick of "riding a bike". This is a big part of the reason why parks have been very slow to adopt bike coasters.

lazyboy97o

You're probably right but I do remember reading that building EC almost bankrupted WDP.
You can’t be both profitable and bunkrupt. The company acquired debt to finance the project and made arrangements like the Tishman hotel deal, but Walt Disney Productions continued to be profitable. Saul Steinberg attempted a hostile takeover in 1984 but EPCOT Center was still profitable. The undervaluing of the company came from the losses at the studio.

Indy_UK

145 pages in and no sign of a coaster in site. I guess if it's just a clone they could whip it up within a few months. I bet they don't start on this for another year while they are working on getting all the other stuff moving along

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom