News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

The Empress Lilly

Modern coasters have moved in a direction where it is possible again to integrate the track into a build environment. No massive drops and big inversions. Sadly Disney didn't make use of this development and builds two bare track coasters of this kind (Tron and Slinky) that could easily have been landscape integrated.

Even if one doesn't, Tron has the perfect visuals for a fully enclosed warehouse coaster that could've moved away from the 'hide in darkness' model of Space, Aerosmith and Crush.

Instead we get a bare steel track coaster under an airport canopy. It's all a bit underwhelming.

Kman101

It’s too short, costing too much and is in the wrong place. But apart from that, yep.

And I like the IP.

How long should a coaster like this be?

And doesn't everything cost too much?

Wrong place is subjective in the case of TRON, IMO. Just because it's a movie doesn't mean it belongs in DHS. Future World would have been a better option but I think it fits both. By saying it doesn't fit we're constantly limiting where it can go. I think in this case it's a matter of preference where you'd want it to go. It could "fit" a lot of places. Does it really make it right in any of them? Where do we actually draw the line. I don't quite get it. It fits.

I'd say the same arguments apply to Guardians. Maybe not the 'too short' but that's beyond going into the wrong place. TRON fits right in compared to that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Modern coasters have moved in a direction where it is possible again to integrate the track into a build environment. No massive drops and big inversions. Sadly Disney didn't make use of this development and builds two bare track coasters of this kind (Tron and Slinky) that could easily have been landscape integrated.

Even if one doesn't, Tron has the perfect visuals for a fully enclosed warehouse coaster that could've moved away from the 'hide in darkness' model of Space, Aerosmith and Crush.

Instead we get a bare steel track coaster under an airport canopy. It's all a bit underwhelming.

Your initial launch is inside. You spend 18 seconds 'outside' under the canopy. You spend 46 seconds indoors with the SFX of racing the yellow bike which explodes.

So... don't know what you're talking about.

Kman101

More than 58 seconds from launch to brakes for a 2021 headliner.

I won’t give a cost figure but it’s obscenely high. It makes the gondolas seem like value for money.

Imho of course.

If it feels like a complete experience I don't necessarily care it's a few seconds less than a minute. But that's me. But for the waits it will bring, I agree it SHOULD be longer. Most seem to love the ride regardless of it's length.

Kman101

Most of the coaster seems indoors to me. It runs outside to inside the building. The entire ride isn't under the canopy.

The Empress Lilly

Your initial launch is inside. You spend 18 seconds 'outside' under the canopy. You spend 46 seconds indoors with the SFX of racing the yellow bike which explodes.

So... don't know what you're talking about.
We have all seen the YouTubes.

The visuals of the land, of the ride. The architecture as it presents itself from inside the park, permanently, except for the handful of riders being 46 seconds inside. Bare steel track under canopy:
TRON_Lightcycle_Power_Run%2C_attraction_exterior.jpg

trainplane3

More than 58 seconds from launch to brakes for a 2021 headliner.

I won’t give a cost figure but it’s obscenely high. It makes the gondolas seem like value for money.

Imho of course.
Not to defend Trons length deficiency, but Vekoma motorbikes are all extremely short. The second longest one (from what I can find) is this one at 2100ft vs Trons 3100ft:

Still, they should've shoved a second launch in there and treat it as a "booster" on the game grid. I don't think any motorbike rides support LIM/LSM launch systems though, so that would be a problem. Stopping for a cable launch would hurt the flow of the ride unless they had a neat mid-show to pass the 10-15 second wait.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

That's one take... I suppose

Kman101

We have all seen the YouTubes.

The visuals of the land, of the ride. The architecture as it presents itself from inside the park, permanently, except for the handful of riders being 46 seconds inside. Bare steel track under canopy:
TRON_Lightcycle_Power_Run%2C_attraction_exterior.jpg

It's a matter of personal taste. The canopy might actually work better in WDW's Tomorrowland. I know there's a hatred of bare steel coaster track but it's truly not that bad. But to each their own.

And you were trying to imply the entire thing takes place under the canopy.

Kman101

Eggs-akly.

"I waited three hours in the world's most boring queue for that???"

I actually disagree with that. But some will complain of course, that goes without saying. Seven Dwarfs lacks feeling like a complete ride, and the fact that it's truly short is noticable. I hear grumbling EVERY time I ride it as it ends, someone always says "is that it"? I don't think most guests care it's short if it feels like a complete experience.

But yes they will be waiting a very long time for a short ride so we'll see what happens. Again, not saying NO ONE will complain but I do think we tend to project our own feelings onto the average guest. The average guest just doesn't care about a lot of things we want them to.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I actually disagree with that. But some will complain of course, that goes without saying. Seven Dwarfs lacks feeling like a complete ride, and the fact that it's truly short is noticable. I hear grumbling EVERY time I ride it as it ends, someone always says "is that it"? I don't think most guests care it's short if it feels like a complete experience.

But yes they will be waiting a very long time for a short ride so we'll see what happens. Again, not saying NO ONE will complain but I do think we tend to project our own feelings onto the average guest. The average guest just doesn't care about a lot of things we want them to.
You totally missed my Easter egg... :(

lazyboy97o

Functionalism, utilitarianism, Modernism, contemporary and futurism are not synonymous even though they are often popularly used in such a manner.

The popular conflation of function and Modernism is rooted in the maxim “Form follows function.” This saying is a [odd] shortening of “form ever follows function” written by the architect Louis Sullivan. While some categorize Sullivan as a [early] Modernist his work would never be confused with what Philip Johnson named the International Style, that popular image of Modernism defined by white rectangular buildings full of glass as developed by the likes of Walter Gropius, Ludwig Meis van der Rohe and the Bauhaus or Le Corbusier. To Sullivan, function was much more than just the base activities that occurred in a space and he does not have the aesthetic and programmatic focus on industry and mechanization that would become so important to the Modernists. Emotion is the function of greatest concern to Sullivan and that is an important distinction that got lost in Modernism’s revolutionary tendencies.

In themed design the primary function is not rides or stores or “detail” (ornament and decoration, not actual detail), the primary function is storytelling. So many of the problems with the design and organization of Shanghai Disney Resort and Tomorrowland in particular are that the primary function is efficiently moving masses of people, not storytelling. This is a function that is really at odds with themed space which is about immersion, spaces that invite people in instead of ones that encourage movement out. Look at Grimshaw’s portfolio and Tomorrowland is pretty much their sole entertainment project while airports, train station and convention centers are all much more prevalent. Their work is all very sleek but it shares a superficial relationship to Tomorrowland. The land is designed too much like a train station. It’s layout is stratified and overly focused on moving people to and from TRON Lightcycle Power Run.

The problems with Shanghai’s Tomorrowland are much more deeply rooted than is the case with the other Tomorrowlands and Future World. These other lands all started with a strong story that was abandoned and never replaced. They are storyless but the story was at least not replaced by such an opposing function. They become confused messes because their form has no purpose. Giving these lands a strong consistent story will fix their aesthetic issues because “form ever follows function.”

Last edited:

brb1006

Eggs-akly.

"I waited three hours in the world's most boring queue for that???"
I still remember a girl (Possibly around the age of 9 or 110) complained as she was leaving the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train that the ride was to short and sounded very irritated as a result back when I visited WDW during my Senior Trip. It's understandable, since just ended as the ride was getting fun then all of a sudden the ride makes a sudden stop behind the cottage. This makes some guests thinking it was a short break before they continue riding except you are actually back in the ride station making it feel anticlimactic. Especially after the build up the attraction has in the queue.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom