Transportation nightmare at MK (6/16)

Sped2424

I can see where he is coming from, so much time is wasted just getting into the park itself its about an 30 min process from the tram to the monorail to the magic kingdom. And on busy days forget about it, I once had to wait in a crowd for about 2 hours just to get on the ferry cause the monorails were down and the park had closed.

shuflemstr

Taken from the Tables in Wonderland website:

Resort valet services are complimentary to members, for the sole purpose of dining at one of the participating Resort restaurants. This privilege will only be extended to one vehicle per membership card. Present your membership card with a valid dining receipt from the participating Resort restaurant at the Valet Stand upon retrieving your vehicle. On Tables in Wonderland Block-Out dates, there will be a charge for parking and valet services.

The purpose of dining. I don't think that drinking at a bar constitutes dining.

rob0519

I'm rather offended that people would consider comparing the fraudulent abuses of handicapped privileges with Abusing the parking at a resort.

These are two entirely distinctly different concepts That have little or nothing to do with one another.

I won't pretend to know the resort policy on parking. There seems to be a lot of gray area here, so without commenting on any specific situation that does or does not qualify anyone to leave their car at a resort where they are not an overnight guest.....

This really is different degrees of the same concept. You, yourself just called both instances abuse. Fraudulent use is fraudulent use. It's all about feeling entitled to skip a line under false pretenses. Whether it's skipping the line to an attraction by using a GAC when you or a family member has no real disability , or skipping the lines back to the TTC by using a resort space you're not entitled to use. Neither is illegal, but both under the right circumstances can be considered against the spirit of WDW policy.

matt9112

We did, rode Pirates and Tiki Room. Was getting close to 11:00, and unlike my friends, I wasn't staying on property, so pretty much had to leave anyway. Plus, they have two kids who were over the rain, ready to crash.

In The Real World, not Disney Online Fanboi World, guests leave in droves when it's late and it starts to rain. I don't think it's too much to expect WDW staff to anticipate and accommodate that. Especially when your two regular methods of transportation back to a resort are down. Monorail being struck by lightning is an act of God; having no CMs or temporary queues in the bus area and no extra buses is an act of management.

in the real world you leave wishes early to avoid the mass...regardless of weather. when the WDC makes you transportation cesear i will listen. your argument is like telling citys there should be no traffic at rush hour...the capacity required in those small windows of time would never EVER justify itself. should reliability improvements be made yes but to assume there should be a secret bus fleet for the rare occasion..

emcclay

There is no way a parking structure would work near the new MK bus loop. One lane of traffic headed out of the MK would be a nightmare. Traffic would be backed up all the way to the light to take a right towards the Poly and be backed up further than that. You would spend much more time waiting in your car, wasting gas, than taking a monorail or ferry over, getting in your car, and leaving. I cannot see them widening the road beneath the canal between SSL and BL to accommodate more traffic.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Taken from the Tables in Wonderland website:

Resort valet services are complimentary to members, for the sole purpose of dining at one of the participating Resort restaurants. This privilege will only be extended to one vehicle per membership card. Present your membership card with a valid dining receipt from the participating Resort restaurant at the Valet Stand upon retrieving your vehicle. On Tables in Wonderland Block-Out dates, there will be a charge for parking and valet services.

The purpose of dining. I don't think that drinking at a bar constitutes dining.
Some people eat their calories...others drink them. Judge not...

Tonka's Skipper

Met up with my college friend and her family last night at MK. Massive storm rolled in right after Wishes. Lightning hit the monorail, shutting down both lines. In addition, too stormy for the boat launches, only the ferry was running. I needed to get back to the Grand, the only way to do that was by bus.

I walk toward the bus depot--again, not just rain, but heavy lightning in the area, masses of people fleeing--the only crowd control is two college program kids saying "Ferry to the right, buses to the left." There's no signage on the board for any monorail hotel--when I asked at the window, apparently the three parties behind me all had the same question. The bus depot itself was a mob scene. No CMs that I could see. No switchbacks. No discernable lines. Just a mass of people, pushing and shoving (and parties with ECVs trying to make their way back out like salmon swimming upstream because apparently they went the wrong way to try to get on a bus--again, no crowd control whatsoever). One bus sat at least 5 minutes after being completely filled. In the 15 minutes I stayed there, I didn't see a single monorail resort bus pull up. People were yelling and cursing at the driver to move along and get another bus in there.

I ended up calling a friend who lives behind MK to come give me a ride from the Contemporary. A lot of seasoned guests seemingly had the same idea, because the Contemproary bus lot was jammed, too. Full buses were pulling up and not letting any of the crowd on. Other guests were just grabbing taxis.

Completely unacceptable for any legal "host." Just a complete failure on the part of transportation and customer service management. I will say this. Forget Avatar, forget Cars, the #1 priority needs to be a parking garage within walking distance of MK. Walt's plan of having to be transported to the park may have worked in the 70s, but post-9/11, with modern crowds, it's a stupid anachronism.[/quot
Met up with my college friend and her family last night at MK. Massive storm rolled in right after Wishes. Lightning hit the monorail, shutting down both lines. In addition, too stormy for the boat launches, only the ferry was running. I needed to get back to the Grand, the only way to do that was by bus.

I walk toward the bus depot--again, not just rain, but heavy lightning in the area, masses of people fleeing--the only crowd control is two college program kids saying "Ferry to the right, buses to the left." There's no signage on the board for any monorail hotel--when I asked at the window, apparently the three parties behind me all had the same question. The bus depot itself was a mob scene. No CMs that I could see. No switchbacks. No discernable lines. Just a mass of people, pushing and shoving (and parties with ECVs trying to make their way back out like salmon swimming upstream because apparently they went the wrong way to try to get on a bus--again, no crowd control whatsoever). One bus sat at least 5 minutes after being completely filled. In the 15 minutes I stayed there, I didn't see a single monorail resort bus pull up. People were yelling and cursing at the driver to move along and get another bus in there.

I ended up calling a friend who lives behind MK to come give me a ride from the Contemporary. A lot of seasoned guests seemingly had the same idea, because the Contemproary bus lot was jammed, too. Full buses were pulling up and not letting any of the crowd on. Other guests were just grabbing taxis.

Completely unacceptable for any legal "host." Just a complete failure on the part of transportation and customer service management. I will say this. Forget Avatar, forget Cars, the #1 priority needs to be a parking garage within walking distance of MK. Walt's plan of having to be transported to the park may have worked in the 70s, but post-9/11, with modern crowds, it's a stupid anachronism.

Welcome to Florida and tropical down pours and lightening!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
We're not discussing poolhopping, little boy. Thats a can of worms you dont want to open.

We're discussing parking at the resorts for the purpose of consuming alcohol and whether or not that constitutes being a resort guest. As far as Disney is concerned, yes, dining makes you a resort guest in their eyes for that purpose.

However, you clearly dont understand the distinction. A resort guest there for dining clearly only gets parking privileges. Pool privileges are only there for resort guests who have a room.

Now go home and get your shine box.
Really? Are you still unable to debate something without being rude and making personal remarks? Please develop some tact and maturity. It's possible to have a disagreement without resorting to that.
Either way, I went to Disney's "Help" page, opened a chat with a CM, and wound up with this:
TubaGeek: Hello! I was wondering something regarding parking. If I am utilizing the Tables in Wonderland valet parking at Grand Floridian, can I then leave my car there while I go to the Magic Kingdom?
Artimas: Hello! I will be happy to assist you in any way I can! Your parking time at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa would only be for three hours. You would need to move your car to the Magic Kingdom® Park parking area if you plan on visiting the park after dining.
I look forward to your mature response.

asianway

We're not discussing poolhopping, little boy. Thats a can of worms you dont want to open.

We're discussing parking at the resorts for the purpose of consuming alcohol and whether or not that constitutes being a resort guest. As far as Disney is concerned, yes, dining makes you a resort guest in their eyes for that purpose.

However, you clearly dont understand the distinction. A resort guest there for dining clearly only gets parking privileges. Pool privileges are only there for resort guests who have a room.

Now go home and get your shine box.
You must not be on the Dis...whenever this topic comes up, theres a dozen posters who show up telling tall tales about legions of roving tow trucks at the resort lots ready to tow photodaves car the minute the clock hits 3 hours - even though they no longer use the timed passes. A resort is either under parking restrictions or its not.

And what other people fail to realize is that the Contemporary and Poly parking lots are huge on a parking spot to guest room ratio compared to hotels built later on. When you factor in MDE, there are usually many, many unused spots in these lots. Dave isnt stealing "your spot" when he stops in for a few wobbly-pops.

tissandtully

The lack of crowd control was probably beyond Disney's control. If there's lightning in the area, CM's aren't going to be forced out into it for safety reasons.

Has there been a lightning injury at WDW at all? I always feel pretty safe seeing there's much taller things to attract lightning around there.

PeoplemoverTTA

And parking in a resort is cheating the system. You do not have dining reservations there which is the only reason you are supposed to be there unless you are a resort guest. There is no way to justify this. I am sorry. It doesn't matter if you get a snack.

Not to be technical, but I have visited resorts (and parked there) to get a snack or shop. I've gone to POFQ at the end of a trip just to get beignets, and I've gone to the Contemporary to get a cup of coffee and shop (I've always loved the shops there...although I liked them better in 2000, lol). Now you may not be referring to me, since I do not then go to MK; however, your use of absolutes is...well...incorrect, IMHO. Dining reservations aren't the only reason to visit a WDW hotel. Some people like snacks and checking out hotels before planning their next vacation. Some are visiting friends for drinks in a lounge...lots of reasons.

Goofnut1980

not to be rude... but if its pouring rain why did you leave.... just hang out for 15 or 20 min in shelter inside the kingdom then make your dash.... we never ever leave with the crowd after fireworks your just asking for trouble....

And, if you are shopping in a store... They wont kick you out!

Goofnut1980

I think you are thinking of the land much further south of the water bridge and the Contemporary, that was slated to become the Venetian Resort in the 1970's, but the soil tests weren't favorable in the 1990's and so they haven't built anything there.

1971 Proposed Venetian Resort - Between Contemporary and Polynesian
WDW%20Overview%20Concept%20Art.jpg

Gosh, I wish they'd bring back that original WDW logo and paste it on everything! (Not just a couple of hipster t-shirts)

I loved that logo.. but what hotel is above the word "World" on the logo.. I dont remember seeing anything about that.

Goofnut1980

Mass Chaos = Just like school Recess when we were 6... ha

Running and screaming! People must think they will melt in the rain. Also, if the lightening was as bad as people say.. why the hell were you outside running in it. MK is 14 feet higher than the land around. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom