Transportation nightmare at MK (6/16)

PhotoDave219

Still doesn't mean you can park at the resort to visit a theme park. I don't care what you do but don't try to pass it off that you are not cheating the system by doing so. If i go in and buy something at the polynesian at 8 am it doesn't give me the right to park there and visit Magic Kingdom all day.

Actually, it does. Suck it up, buttercup.

bethymouse

Storms are prevalent in Florida, however WDW just doesn't seem to be equipped to handle the massive crowds versus transportation and other storm "issues" that may arise.:( Sadly, my last visit last week, I noticed somewhat of a reduction in staff ( CMs), more people staying during the heavy rains, and lack of crowd control ( telling everyone to leave the exit area of the rides- no one was listening!).:eek:

tmstephe

Tough situation at the end of a long day, to be sure, but I wouldn't classify this as a "nightmare". I don't mean to offend or flame anyone, but this post reeks of entitlement. I'll be the first to admit that when you stay at a deluxe monorail resort you are paying for convenience, location, theme, transportation, amenities, etc... but the monorail is just one of many reasons for the deluxe price. If the monorails and boats are down because of weather, it's not your God given right to have immediate transportation back to your resort. Everyone pays a premium for a Disney vacation. Moderate and value resorts always have to wait in long lines for buses at the end of the night. The transportation network at the MK just isn't designed for an immediate response to the monorails being down. Again, I've been in your shoes and know the frustration of waiting for transportation at the end of a long (wet/cold) day, but I feel very strongly that there's a huge difference between constructive feedback and simple complaining. Your post appears to be the latter. If you want to complain because your night wasn't perfect, I suppose that's your prerogative. If I've mistaken your tone, I apologize.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
First I have deep empathy for you, it is horrible to be out in a storm as you were.

Yet, as a Mom of CM, thank goodness Disney does not put their CM's life's in jeopardy and uses good judgement for their CMs well being. To put a CM out in that weather as you described would be stupid. I too was caught off guard by a storm like this last April, I was on the Backlot Tram. I, along with hundreds of guests, damp, stood in the covered but open area gift shop for well over an hour to wait for the cluster to leave and Wait until it was safe to go through the park and out to the buses.

If the monorail got hit by lightening and were inoperable, too dangerous for small boats, I question why you would want a human being to be sent to do crowd control? Guests should have been smart enough to take cover in a dangerous situation. What at the GF was so important to risk life for?

Polydweller

If i consume alcohol in the bar or dine at their restaurants, I'm a resort guest. What I do beyond that isnt anyone's business, whether its going to the MK or a guest room for a .
Dining at the resort is fine but going to MK is only ok if you valet park which you did so fine. But using the non-valet parking to go to MK is definitely not.

And now, from hotelier here a definition you shoukd understand, a person having a drink at the bar or going to a restaurant is a person using the public access parts of the hotel but is not a hotel guest. The hotel's guests are those staying there. People visiting public access areas do so because the hotel allows that access under certain rules. Disney's rules include parking to access the resort's services not the theme parks unless you valet.

tmstephe

There was an incident with guests arguing that they do not have to wait that they have a wheelchair pass (GAC) that makes it so they can go where they want when they want. It was explained to them that the ferry was at capacity and they still argued with the cm. They were demanding to be let on instead of waiting 5 min for the next one.

I am sad to say this but There are people who believe the lines do not apply to them thus causing issues. Several cm were yelled at by guests. Its Florida. It rains. Its not cm fault. This is rainy season. Come prepared. If its raining in the parks mass amounts on people try to leave. wait a bit in the park and avoid the crowd.

This. I get so tired of people being rude in line, cheating the system, getting angry, etc. This is (perhaps) a separate issue, but the GAC program needs to be dealt with. I have NO problem with wheelchairs being driven onto buses, but they can wait in line (or have a member of their party wait) just like everyone else. My uncle is disabled and would never dream of going straight to the front of the line with a party of 8 in tow.

And while I'm venting about transportation (o_O), how is a person in a scooter who would prefer not to walk ANY different than a sleeping baby in a stroller? Both could get out, but neither would prefer to... yet one gets to stay in and the other has to get out. (I realize there are FL state laws about strollers on buses; I'm just trying to make a broader point).

How's that for a can of worms... :D

EOD K9

. They know it's a problem, but they can't exactly tell people that they're lying and that they need to go to the TTC.

I think the security hosts should be able to do that. "Sir, I know you're lying. Now move your car before I have Mickey come here and he has you banned for life. Have a magical day here at the Contemporary or wherever your dreams may take you".

Epicpilot

What's BLT? I'm sure you didn't mean Bacon Letus Tomato (on toast with mayo).

Any way, look at USO and how they used elevated moving sidewalks from the parking structures. Smart design.

They can do this for the contemporary to the MK and the EPCOT resorts to DHS, and DAK to AKL.

There is a patented system for a moving sidewalk system that progressively moves faster the longer it runs. This is the perfect innovation for Disney to build and showcase!
BLT= Bay Lake Tower

Epicpilot

If the monorail got hit by lightening and were inoperable, too dangerous for small boats, I question why you would want a human being to be sent to do crowd control? Guests should have been smart enough to take cover in a dangerous situation. What at the GF was so important to risk life for?
Riot gear+ Assault Rifle+ Trained Professional CM + Mickey ears = No more Problem!

PhotoDave219

Dining at the resort is fine but going to MK is only ok if you valet park which you did so fine. But using the non-valet parking to go to MK is definitely not.

And now, from hotelier here a definition you shoukd understand, a person having a drink at the bar or going to a restaurant is a person using the public access parts of the hotel but is not a hotel guest. The hotel's guests are those staying there. People visiting public access areas do so because the hotel allows that access under certain rules. Disney's rules include parking to access the resort's services not the theme parks unless you valet.

And none of that is anywhere near an equivalent footing as abusing handicapped privileges fraudulently.

Disney has a system. It can be abused. There are technicalities and gray areas. I know where they are and I know what I choose to do. What that is, I'm not putting on a message board. Sorry. But I play within the rules.

Sorry if that bursts some of your fanboi bubbles....

Tom Morrow

Yeah, its kind of funny that you guys are getting up in arms about a small fraction of people parking elsewhere besides the TTC. Totally different than the literally thousands of people abusing a system intended only for very handicapped people in each park, every single day... yet that took tons of convincing to get anyone to care...

Animaniac93-98

Disney has been complaining for years about people parking in the Epcot resort lots to visit WS. People don't want to have to drive (after drinking), park again and spend 15 min walking into WS when there's only an hour or two left until park closing time. You'd think by now they'd take the hint and expand parking capacity at the resorts or build a second Epcot lot, or re-write the parking policy to accomodate such demand.

PhotoDave219

That means I can use the pools too, right? Pools are for resort guests only. Though, for some reason, they specifically require room keys... huh...
Sorry to burst your bubble.

We're not discussing poolhopping, little boy. Thats a can of worms you dont want to open.

We're discussing parking at the resorts for the purpose of consuming alcohol and whether or not that constitutes being a resort guest. As far as Disney is concerned, yes, dining makes you a resort guest in their eyes for that purpose.

However, you clearly dont understand the distinction. A resort guest there for dining clearly only gets parking privileges. Pool privileges are only there for resort guests who have a room.

Now go home and get your shine box.

DisneyJoe

We're discussing parking at the resorts for the purpose of consuming alcohol and whether or not that constitutes being a resort guest. As far as Disney is concerned, yes, dining makes you a resort guest in their eyes for that purpose.

However, you clearly dont understand the distinction. A resort guest there for dining clearly only gets parking privileges. Pool privileges are only there for resort guests who have a room.

Dining resort guests may have an enforced time limit on their parking.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What @PhotoDave219 hasn't mentioned is that there are certain legal reasons why a guest drinking at the resort is a little different than one simply buying a keychain.

There are Dram Shop laws and other liability issues at stake that just aren't worth the hassle of making someone move their vehicle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom