Transportation nightmare at MK (6/16)

PeterAlt

Of course!

Memo To TDO: Build this Disneyland structure on the MK bus loop loading area. Thanks!
2007_1112_images_04b.jpg
That was the site for one of the Phase I resorts that wasn't build (I forget which one). Any way, that site should be big enough for an entire resort, which should be big enough for a parking structure...

Animaniac93-98

Why would @PhotoDave219 park at Grand Floridian to use its services and then drive and park again somewhere else in a lot further away to go to MK? He's not depriving Disney of parking revenue because he has an AP (or so I assume based on his posts) nor is he failing to go into Grand Floridian.

If I eat at Yachtsman's Steakhouse and then go see Illuminations am I abusing the system too?

TP2000

That was the site for one of the Phase I resorts that wasn't build (I forget which one). Any way, that site should be big enough for an entire resort, which should be big enough for a parking structure...

I think you are thinking of the land much further south of the water bridge and the Contemporary, that was slated to become the Venetian Resort in the 1970's, but the soil tests weren't favorable in the 1990's and so they haven't built anything there.

1971 Proposed Venetian Resort - Between Contemporary and Polynesian
WDW%20Overview%20Concept%20Art.jpg

Gosh, I wish they'd bring back that original WDW logo and paste it on everything! (Not just a couple of hipster t-shirts)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Met up with my college friend and her family last night at MK... Walt's plan of having to be transported to the park may have worked in the 70s, but post-9/11, with modern crowds, it's a stupid anachronism.
What time did you leave? I left a little before midnight; the crowds were thick, but at least well-managed at the time.

PeterAlt

I think you are thinking of the land much further south of the water bridge and the Contemporary, that was slated to become the Venetian Resort in the 1970's, but the soil tests weren't favorable in the 1990's and so they haven't built anything there.

1971 Proposed Venetian Resort - Between Contemporary and Polynesian
WDW%20Overview%20Concept%20Art.jpg

Gosh, I wish they'd bring back that original WDW logo and paste it on everything! (Not just a couple of hipster t-shirts)
There was also the Asian (I believe Grand Floridian is at that site now). During the 90's, they had once planned Kingdom Suites somewhere near the Magic Kingdom as well. There was also the Persian, another Phase I resort that wasn't built. There may have been others that I'm forgetting.

TP2000

There was also the Asian (I believe Grand Floridian is at that site now). During the 90's, they had once planned Kingdom Suites somewhere near the Magic Kingdom as well. There was also the Persian, another Phase I resort that wasn't built. There may have been others that I'm forgetting.

Yes, those are all shown in that 1971 map posted above.

The Asian became the Grand Floridian in the same spot. The Venetian was scrapped because the soil there was awful and they can't build more than a 4 man tent on that swamp. The Persian is shown on the map as the big hotel directly to the east of Tomorrowland, north of the Contemporary on Bay Lake.

Only the Poly and the Contemporary made it out of that original circa 1971 plan.

Perhaps build a 10,000 space parking structure on the Persian plot? Link it to the main entrance via moving walkways? And then build massive new road links around the lagoon to the freeway? Seems like a lot of work, especially when they still have so much improvement to do inside the theme parks.

PeterAlt

The Asian became the Grand Floridian in the same spot. The Venetian was scrapped because the soil there was awful and they can't build more than a 4 man tent on that swamp. The Persian is shown on the map as the big hotel directly to the east of Tomorrowland, north of the Contemporary on Bay Lake.

Only the Poly and the Contemporary made it out of that original circa 1971 plan.
And the monorail has a different alignment. I see a spur forking off from the Contemporary and another going to the north end of the MK.

PhotoDave219

No not technically, otherwise anyone could by a drink and justify taking up a parking space to visit Magic Kingdom.

No, I said I was drinking at the Grand Fla, using the free valet service provided by through Tables in Wonderland. From there, if I choose to visit another resort or the MK, I'm not moving my car because I'm a resort guest at that point. I have a receipt to prove that I am.

If I'm lying to the guard just to get past security and then take up a space, thats another matter entirely. But I'm not moving my car after consuming alcoholic beverages; why would you suggest I drink and drive by moving my car?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Spending money in the resorts counts as being a resort guest. Sorry to burst your bubble there.
You'll notice I was editing my post as you responded. The phrasing was changed, but most of the meaning remained the same.
What you're referring to, though, will fly during the slow season. When it's busy, though, Security does what they can to screen out people from parking there who aren't registered guests at the resort or have a dining reservation. They know it's a problem, but they can't exactly tell people that they're lying and that they need to go to the TTC.

PeterAlt

Perhaps build a 10,000 space parking structure on the Persian plot? Link it to the main entrance via moving walkways? And then build massive new road links around the lagoon to the freeway? Seems like a lot of work, especially when they still have so much improvement to do inside the theme parks.
They can build a parking structure next to the TTC as well as another resort and shopping area and use a WEDway PeopleMover to connect to Main Street. The magnetic induction motors of the system should make it independent of lightning strikes.

Dasnowz

not taking sides in the argument just a fact here. When you go to a resort for a meal they expect you will be gone within a certain time frame and base parking usage on that number. If they expect your car gone in 3 hours and you park eat go to the park and are there for 5 hours that is abuse. and if you ask anyone such as a guard if its ok to leave the car there after you eat while you are in the park they will tell you to park in the general parking lot to begin with and just catch transportation over. That is why during time of the year youare given a pass saying par here for x amount of time.

wdwfan22

Spending money in the resorts counts as being a resort guest. Sorry to burst your bubble there.

Still doesn't mean you can park at the resort to visit a theme park. I don't care what you do but don't try to pass it off that you are not cheating the system by doing so. If i go in and buy something at the polynesian at 8 am it doesn't give me the right to park there and visit Magic Kingdom all day.

PhotoDave219

not taking sides in the argument just a fact here. When you go to a resort for a meal they expect you will be gone within a certain time frame and base parking usage on that number. If they expect your car gone in 3 hours and you park eat go to the park and are there for 5 hours that is abuse. and if you ask anyone such as a guard if its ok to leave the car there after you eat while you are in the park they will tell you to park in the general parking lot to begin with and just catch transportation over. That is why during time of the year youare given a pass saying par here for x amount of time.

I haven't gotten one of those passes since 2006.

I've never once had a security guy asked me to move my car To guest parking if I was going to be at the resort longer than X amount of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom