Transportation nightmare at MK (6/16)

Skywalker

At least as far as I could see, it was wall to wall people, literally. We were shuffling and squeezing to get to the candy store to make our way via the stores to Starbucks. Once we got our coffee we were scurried into the CM area. If the entire park was like this, which I don't know, that's a heck of a lot of people. Fortunately the crowd slowly subsided and then we could move about the park.

Bcakd

Of course!

Memo To TDO: Build this Disneyland structure on the MK bus loop loading area. Thanks!
2007_1112_images_04b.jpg
NO!NO!NO!NO!.....I like it just the way it is. If you are trying to leave with the pack after the fireworks or Wishes, then it's going to be a crowded. Probably 90% of the people at the park will try to leave at this time. Whether or not you are a resort guest, you can hang out in the Main Street shops or under the train depot until the crowd thins out. We always just sit down on Main Street and people watch until there is hardly a person left. While I know that's not possible in a thunderstorm, you can still "shop" until the storm passes, or the crowd thins. It's ridiculous to think you are just going to walk right out and get on a bus or the first monorail that pulls up. As much as Disney tries to make this the most "Magical Place on Earth", they have no control over the weather. I feel they do as best they can. We had a hail storm when we were in EpCot back in May. It lasted around an hour and 1/2. It was miserable, YES. And the probability of me ever spending more than 5 minutes in Morocco, where we weathered the storm, is highly unlikely. But it was what it was. We never even gave a moments thought to trying to catch the boat Boardwalk or hiking to the monorail to go to MK, because we knew what those lines would be like.
I'm truly sorry you and all the others had to endure the storm that night. But it just was an unfortunate event. There is no reason to go and build some monstrosity parking deck, that will take away the fantasy of being in a place where the real world fades away. That's one of the Top 3 things I love about WDW!
This little rant isn't aimed at you, TP2000, I just happen to reply under your pic of that ugly parking deck :)

Bcakd

This. I get so tired of people being rude in line, cheating the system, getting angry, etc. This is (perhaps) a separate issue, but the GAC program needs to be dealt with. I have NO problem with wheelchairs being driven onto buses, but they can wait in line (or have a member of their party wait) just like everyone else. My uncle is disabled and would never dream of going straight to the front of the line with a party of 8 in tow.

And while I'm venting about transportation (o_O), how is a person in a scooter who would prefer not to walk ANY different than a sleeping baby in a stroller? Both could get out, but neither would prefer to... yet one gets to stay in and the other has to get out. (I realize there are FL state laws about strollers on buses; I'm just trying to make a broader point).

How's that for a can of worms... :D
Honey, you have hit the nail on the head!!! On our last trip about 6 weeks ago, I was so taken a back at the number of motorized wheelchairs or Rascals, if you prefer. What the what???? I have no problem with older people, or those with disabilities choosing to ride around the parks. Trust me, I understand if there is a true reason you need one. However, let me tell you something that I witnessed on more than 1 occasion. A man was standing at the viewing area for Everest, he was hoping to get a pic of his family on the ride. No big deal, he wasn't blocking anyone's view. This lady comes riding up on her scooter and ask him if he could let her get in front of him so she "could see her babies" on this ride. The man graciously obliged and let her pull in front of him. Well, then she called for her daughter (also on a scoter) to come over to where she was, so she could see. So again, this gentleman moves out of the way and further from his starting point. Well, then she hollers for the husband to come stand by them. He was walking (and didn't weight 400 lbs), but nonetheless, the man who had been so kind to the lady in the beginning had indeed been weeded out of the way, so Mama June and the whole diabetes gang could get where they wanted....because who is going to be rude the person in the scooter? I was soo mad. I know it wasn't any of my business, I was just a witness to this, but I feel like I should have said something. Not about the fact that they were using scooters, but about the sense of entitlement these people thought they deserved. Then we were at EpCot one day and this scooter lady was about 3 people ahead of us in line waiting to see Princess Aurora and she was going forward and pinned a little girl from the party in front of her between her scooter and the water fountain. And she wouldn't even back up to let the little girl have more room to get up. She didn't say she was sorry, she only turned around to her family and said "Well she should have known better than getting in front of a "motorized vehicle"! The family of the little girl, who scraped her little arm and was trying her best to stop crying, were from Australia (I asked) and I saw through their eyes what a fat, lazy, American looks like! There were also COUNTLESS times we would have to wait for the next bus because "a scooter and its 10 member family" DOESN'T have to wait! And WHY??????? I am not saying they aren't those with REAL health issues that need these scooters. But, being overweight shouldn't be an excuse to get special treatment. And yes, I can say that because I am overweight, obese actually. When the day comes to where I can't walk around DW because of my age or my fat , then I probably should stay home. And if I do ever have to use the scooters, I will wait in line like everyone else. I may sound like a awful person, but I promise I'm not. I'm just AMAZED by the lack of manners I witnessed with the scooter folks! Not all of them, but sometimes a few bad apples can ruin the whole bunch. OH, and I forgot about this one. We were staying at POP and you know how the ramps are to either side of the Hippy Dippy pool? if you wish to go directly to the pool or your room in the 60's buildings then you have to use the steps. One night we had waited until we got back to our resort to eat a little snack. It was my husband and I and our 4 year old. We were starting towards the steps and her comes "scooter Sally" and she was stopped right in the middle of the steps and she is with another woman and a little boy (maybe 6) and she starts cursing like she was in a Quentin Tarenteno movie. She wanted a CM and she wanted one now!! She had a complaint she wanted to file and she was going to get their money back because she shouldn't have to go 30 yards out of her way to get to her room. She paid for a scooter acsessible room and the most convenient way to her room should have been where those steps were. Now, I left out about 20 expletives she so freely screamed in front of my 4 year old and her 6 year old guest. Before you crucify me let me let you know that her scooter was rented from an Orlando company, and that later in the week I saw her walking around the pool and up the steps to get her mugs filled. So, Im pretty sure she wasn't an invalid. I do have to say that when we got down the steps that night while she was waiting for the poor CM that had to deal with her, I stopped turned around and asked her if she could please watch her language around children, not just mine but all of them. She in turn flipped me off and told me to mind my own (bleeping) business. I told her if she would put that scooter up and try walking some, she might loose some weight and some of her built up hostility. She continued to curse me as we walked away. I mean what was she going to do? She sure as hell wasn't going to walk down those stairs and by the time she went her "30 yards out of the way" I would have been long gone. ;) I did however look out our window to see what she had in store for this CM (bless her heart). In the end Ms. Congeniality did in fact have to go around the steps to get to her room. But don't feel sorry for her because knowing Disney, they probably gave her a free meal or comped her stay. :rolleyes:

Bcakd

Would it be politically incorrect if they ran "scooter" buses? I'm not meaning that to be ugly. I'm just thinking of how it would be a win/win situation. They could pull up and put like 6 or 7 scooters on one bus, they get back to their room faster, and so do the rest of us. There would be no "hurt" feelings or spite from other guests. I mean I'm all for treat everyone equally without looking at our abilities. But, I think something like this would be beneficial for everyone. Maybe they could make adjustments to the busses where the rider didn't even have to get off, they could just buckle up and go!! Just an idea! (no mean intent whatsoever)

rob0519

On Sunday 6/30 we were boarding the monorail in the CR at about 9:00 PM to go to MK. The attendant told us that all monorail service was shutting down at 11:00 PM even though the park was open until 11:00 and the second parade started at the same time. He said it was some sort of swap out of communication gear and that busses would be provided to get back to the monorail resorts. Seriously, what management team voluntarily shuts down its major transportation system while the park is still open for an equipment swap that can be conducted after the guests are gone?

Anyway, my family and I exit the park and ask where the busses are to get back to CR. The castmember says there are no busses for CR, we have to walk. By now the area is simply chaos as people who didn't know about the shutdown scramble for busses or boats. Thankfully, it wasn't raining, but pushing two wheelchairs back to the CR after a busy and hot day at the MK was not how we planned to end the evening.

Anyone else get caught up in this outage?

Dasnowz

The communication swap was legit. All areas went to the new radios. It was a time consuming pain. Disney runs buses to its resorts out of the magic kingdom side. Off site hotel buses run from TTC. I am not sure where you were when you asked about the buses.

DDuckFan130

I couldn't find the original post about the whole "wheelchair people don't get out of the wheelchairs but stroller kids have to." But I wanted to comment on that. My mom finally caved and we had to rent a wheelchair for her on Friday afternoon when we headed to the MK. Her feet were in pain and swollen and she just couldn't walk anymore. I told her we may as well try to get them (on future trips) from the hotel where we have been able to borrow them for free when my grandmother was alive.

Anyway, she doesn't like the idea because of the bus thing. She doesn't wanna be one of "those people" that hold up the bus and would rather just wait to get the wheelchair at the parks. It's not like she rides anything so that part is irrelevant it's just so she can be comfortable and we can actually move faster lol.

In regards to the busses, there's no way to just fold up the chair like a stroller and get on the bus normally is there? I've wondered about that lol

AEfx

I couldn't find the original post about the whole "wheelchair people don't get out of the wheelchairs but stroller kids have to." But I wanted to comment on that. My mom finally caved and we had to rent a wheelchair for her on Friday afternoon when we headed to the MK. Her feet were in pain and swollen and she just couldn't walk anymore. I told her we may as well try to get them (on future trips) from the hotel where we have been able to borrow them for free when my grandmother was alive.

Anyway, she doesn't like the idea because of the bus thing. She doesn't wanna be one of "those people" that hold up the bus and would rather just wait to get the wheelchair at the parks. It's not like she rides anything so that part is irrelevant it's just so she can be comfortable and we can actually move faster lol.

In regards to the busses, there's no way to just fold up the chair like a stroller and get on the bus normally is there? I've wondered about that lol

First, yeah, the whole stroller thing - kids are not disabled, heck with kids being in strollers until they are practically teenagers now it's no wonder some people feel that entitlement. Kids can be carried - and if they kid is too big to be carried, unless they have some disability, perhaps the entire thought process needs to be rethought about needing a stroller. If a kid gets too tired to walk, maybe they are pushing them too hard into a long day they aren't ready for. But that's not something you can explain to the entitled parent brigade that doesn't understand that kids are work, not an accessory that the world owes them to accommodate and provide for.

I don't believe you can with the Disney wheelchairs, but you can with a "travel" wheelchair, and even most regular wheelchairs will do so somewhat for being put in a car trunk. The travel ones are a bit narrower and not as "deluxe" as most models, but they do fold in on themselves. The Disney ones are made to be banged around and stay hearty with all the abuse they get.

My niece is in a wheelchair and cannot walk a step, and we got sick of the looks and crap and bus drivers who don't know how to use the lifts, etc., with the busses and just use a car now, even when staying on property.

I know many people just hate driving on vacation, but WDW is rather easy to get around in a car. And in a lot of cases, especially if you are eligible to use handicap parking, it's a shorter distance to your car than it is to the herd lines, er, bus lines. And even without handicap parking, as long as you avoid that morning rush (either come a little earlier or a little later) you can usually get close to the front. Or get a handy AAA pass from your local office which is practically handicap parking.

Even when she's not with me, generally we just get around WDW in a car now. I know some people just think WDW transportation is this lovely thing but overall I just don't want to spend my vacation waiting in yet more lines. The last time I used WDW transportation on my trip I calculated how much time over the week I spent waiting for freaking buses, and it was unreal. Particularly since I park hop a lot - trying to get a bus to the AK from the TTC can be a joke during the day. I waited well over an hour for one just to show up - they only brought one when another family and I complained at one of the ticket windows. They do not run anywhere near every 20 minutes as they supposedly do.

I can get myself from one park to another in 20 minutes or less, usually. And I control everything - I can stop at the Hess and grab something to drink (or, Egads! step off property for a moment to grab a Pepsi product), my own A/C, my own tunes, no people coughing and spreading germs (I have gotten at least two colds a day or two after being coughed on by people on buses before).

Of course, that doesn't solve the original problem of getting to the parking lot from the MK, but that one is easy to solve - never ever leave the MK after the fireworks. Even on the slowest day, it's still a mad house. Hang out, shop, do more rides...you are on vacation, live it up. If you are tired, just sit on a bench somewhere and enjoy the night. If it's raining, find a covered area to hang out in. You are at Disney! It's gorgeous at night.

rob0519

The communication swap was legit. All areas went to the new radios. It was a time consuming pain. Disney runs buses to its resorts out of the magic kingdom side. Off site hotel buses run from TTC. I am not sure where you were when you asked about the buses.

Thanks for the confirmation, but I didn't doubt the communications swap was legit. I'm all for using the best communications gear possible for public safety. My point was, even if lengthy, why the swap couldnt be done starting at Midnight, an hour after the posted park closing, instead of at the same time.

I was told there were no buses to the CR by the cast member directing people away from the closed monorail ramps so I had no reason to doubt he was correct.

PhotoDave219

Thanks for the confirmation, but I didn't doubt the communications swap was legit. I'm all for using the best communications gear possible for public safety. My point was, even if lengthy, why the swap couldnt be done starting at Midnight, an hour after the posted park closing, instead of at the same time.

I was told there were no buses to the CR by the cast member directing people away from the closed monorail ramps so I had no reason to doubt he was correct.

No, that was the date & timeframe of when they communication swap happened.

Sorry you had the typical Disney transport experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom