Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don't think we disagree here - if the land was well-themed and, in particular, if the coaster was well-themed (see BTM or even 7D), I'd love this area. I adore both the flat rides in Cars Land because they fit organically into one of the most detailed and intricate areas Disney has ever built.

I still think your off on whether families are going to enjoy and appreciate this land. They will.

Kman101

I really don't understand this attitude - Disney is not supposed to have a "kiddie" area, ie. an area intended to be enjoyed by children and not adults - that was one of the whole points of Disney building the parks in the first place. Most things in the park should be things that parents and children can enjoy together.

MGM DOES need more family attractions. It also needs a greater variety of attractions. That is not an excuse for them building what is essentially a Six Flags land. Its a reason for them to build a variety of highly themed family attractions. TSL is them trying to solve these problems - lack of family rides, lack of variety - as cheaply and with as little effort as possible. And it is part of a much larger pattern that has made all of the WDW parks substantially worse over the last 15 years (except AK).

And in general I don't find "people will enjoy it" or "families will make memories there" a great defense of a land or ride at WDW. Families can make cherished memories and enjoy themselves at a picnic grounds or, heck, on their back porch. WDW was built to offer - and is priced as though it offers - completely unique experiences constructed with a level of detail and showmanship found nowhere else in the world.

Adults can enjoy Slinky Dog and Alien Saucers as much as any child.

Omegadiz

TSL is going to stick out like a sore thumb compared to pretty much everything else at WDW. Again, look at the TSL's in other Disney Parks around the world, all of which are out of place in the parks in which they are situated. Bugs at DCA is the only comparable example - these are chunks of much less impressive theme parks plopped down in the middle of what is supposed to be one of the best theme parks in the world. Even the average guest is going to notice the dramatic drop-off in theming and overall quality.
ya know Bugs gets a lot of flack. Like understandably all of the rides are off the shelf kiddie attractions but you can't say it isn't extremely well themed for what it is. It is probably the most successful "you are now small" lands that Disney has done in comparison to TSL, Shrunk the kids, and pixie hallow. It's so well themed in fact I'd hope they'd move it to AK where it fits the themes and does dinoramas job in better tatse if it's ever used to expand at DCA.

Casper Gutman

ya know Bugs gets a lot of flack. Like understandably all of the rides are off the shelf kiddie attractions but you can't say it isn't extremely well themed for what it is. It is probably the most successful "you are now small" lands that Disney has done in comparison to TSL, Shrunk the kids, and pixie hallow. It's so well themed in fact I'd hope they'd move it to AK where it fits the themes and does dinoramas job in better tatse if it's ever used to expand at DCA.

I'd agree Bugs is much better than TSL but I won't weep when it gets Marvel-ed over.

PizzaPlanet

I'd agree Bugs is much better than TSL but I won't weep when it gets Marvel-ed over.
The versions in Paris and Hong Kong yes, but I think TSL in DHS will be better than Bug's Land. The two attractions in DHS will have more substance than the 60-second carnival rides in Bug's Land. I guess you can say TSMM will be the TSL equivalent to It's Tough to be a Bug. When it comes to how convincing the theming is, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Goofyernmost

I really don't understand this attitude - Disney is not supposed to have a "kiddie" area, ie. an area intended to be enjoyed by children and not adults - that was one of the whole points of Disney building the parks in the first place. Most things in the park should be things that parents and children can enjoy together.

MGM DOES need more family attractions. It also needs a greater variety of attractions. That is not an excuse for them building what is essentially a Six Flags land. Its a reason for them to build a variety of highly themed family attractions. TSL is them trying to solve these problems - lack of family rides, lack of variety - as cheaply and with as little effort as possible. And it is part of a much larger pattern that has made all of the WDW parks substantially worse over the last 15 years (except AK).

And in general I don't find "people will enjoy it" or "families will make memories there" a great defense of a land or ride at WDW. Families can make cherished memories and enjoy themselves at a picnic grounds or, heck, on their back porch. WDW was built to offer - and is priced as though it offers - completely unique experiences constructed with a level of detail and showmanship found nowhere else in the world.
Walt's idea was never that one size fits all. What Walt did was create something that adults and children can do together. This will hold true. If an adult wants to ride with their kids they will be able to do so. So many things do exist for adults that kids really aren't interested in, yet they are obligated to go along with their parents, with no real choice in the matter. At first glance Dumbo is hardly a ride that adults would have run people over to ride, however, they can and do ride with the kids. That is the part that distinguishes Disney from a road side kiddie carnival ride.

Kman101

Well, there was Mickey's Birthday Land. I think this is at least better than that, and arguably a similar demographic. Personally, I'd feel a helluvalot better about TSL if they were building it along with SWL and a large-scale Pixar land (Cars or Monstropolis). What they are doing in DHS, taken in isolation, is still ambitious, just not the "rebirth" envisioned.

I know some dismiss TSL as a kiddy land but I personally think it will easily appeal to adults as well. Toy Story is 20 years old, lots of people grew up with it. The two rides we're getting are a heck of a lot better than some in Bugs Land and a lot more appealing than some other kiddy attractions they could have stuck us with. It's not like Mater's says "kids only" we're getting the same attraction. Slinky Dog is a short launch coaster, it's not exactly Barnstormer. Is it a good use of the land? No. Do I love the exposed coaster? Not really. I know some will always think the land is cheap and lazy and it does lack ambition but I think it's a bit better than being given credit.

But like you, I think it would get a little less criticism if they were doing more with other Pixar properties like both Cars and Monstropolis. The problem really is these two rides we're getting aren't going to appeal to everyone but they will be fun. The park needed family rides. And I'd say they gave us two that can also appeal to adults.

I can't believe I'm slightly defending the land but I think the criticism isn't necessarily fair towards it (not saying yours, just in general and using your quote as a jumping point). Again, that's IMHO.

I would hands down agree with the criticism if we were getting the Slinky Dog that goes nowhere, the RC Racer attraction with poor capacity, the parachute drop, bumper cars, another spinner but to me they picked two decent rides to flesh out the park. To me, it could have been far worse.

I'm not happy they cut some of the theming in an already bare bones land, that they cut the Woody's Roundup area ... I know the plastic-ness of the land isn't super appealing but I think the land will have two fun rides. But the problem is the park needs more so people are laser focused on these two.

EDIT: Sorry for rambling and jumping around a bit. Long day and I'm tired LOL

Last edited:

Rutt

Stop being so dramatic. The average guest is going to appreciate the family coaster and family spinner. It balances out the park even if the theming is lacking/basic.
I think the lacking part may be overblown as well. Not everything can or will be on the level of WWoHP, Pandora or SWE. MOST guests will probably love this land, as 'simple' as it may be.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I believe this land will be much better than dinorama and I can still have fun in that land. Give it time and I believe it will be a fan favorite. I also think that they will announce other parts of pixar theming at D23 this summer.

There hasn't been any indication recently that we are getting any more Pixar content in DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom